Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Moving abroad beginning of Junior year in HS?

2»

Replies to: Moving abroad beginning of Junior year in HS?

• SuburbMomSuburbMom Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    You are not loony to consider this. My kids were elementary and middle school aged when we moved overseas and the oldest was high school when we moved back. I can tell you that no matter how excited they are, there will be tears. But it is a great experience and I would actually love to do it again some day.

As for your 7th grader who doesn't want to move - one of my kids resisted the move. Big time. She was quite cranky when we were first over there, and she actually shut down with regards to school work. We just gave her time. And worked hard to help her make friends. Things changed once she had friends. We had to step out of our comfort zone on many occassions to participate in activities we normally wouldn't do, just to make sure we were giving her opportunities to interact with her peers and make friends. Your S will adjust. Just be patient with him while he adjusts.

As for ECs for your older daughter - if there will be opportunities for her in the community (outside the school) that she wants to participate in, then the best thing you can do for her is to start her in language lessons now. Put her in an intensive over the summer. Dance classes, art lessons, sports, etc. will be in the native language and it is extremely hard for a teenager to participate without knowing the language. Since they'll be in a school for ex-pats, they'll get language classes, but it may not be enough. She can also look at it as an opportunity to try something new. For example, my son had to give up baseball, but picked up fencing. Your daughter could get involved with Girl Scouts Overseas, even if she isn't involved with GS here. (Speaking from experience - there are tons of great opportunities for high school girls in GSO. I created a troops when we were in Europe and one of the girls in my troop was chosen for a program that paid for her to go to Prague for a youth conference.)

Moving overseas is stressful, but simultaneously exciting. I recommend it.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 579 Member
    University costs that might be affected by your move should be considered in the relocation offer and written into your contract. If your D's instate status is lost by such a move, such costs could be significant. Don't be brushed off by relocation people who may be clueless. Ask what they will offer if you are giving up instate tuition, as I assume they are paying for the international school, look at it is the same context.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 20,692 Senior Member
    I have no useful information for you, but I will say that I think virtually any opportunity to live abroad should be seized with relish. It will be a fabulous experience for your kids!

I lived in England and went to an English boarding school for what would have been 8th and 9th grade. I adored it. It permanently enriched my life. I wanted to stay there when my parents moved back to the US, but alas, they didn't agree to the notion.

I understand that you are more concerned about a rising junior, but I would embrace the experience and be happy she wants to rather than worrying.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 59,308 Senior Member
    While living abroad may be desirable (depending on the country), it is best for the OP to know beforehand the various implications. It appears that in-state tuition at state universities is important to the OP and daughter, so planning for the loss of such if they move abroad is better than moving abroad and then being surprised that they cannot get in-state tuition at any state university.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 579 Member
    The devil is always in the details. Companies can be great, or shady, with relo deals. The issue is often more naivete than anything though, and knowing what to demand. The romantic grand adventure is always exciting until you lose money on your house, cars, university fees, etc. If this was the UK, I expect this wouldn't be a thread. If it was Mongolia,, there are wrinkles to be ironed.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 28,298 Senior Member
    Where will you be relocating?
    Are there important differences (dictatorship/authoritarian state, street violence, no separation between 'church' and state, men/women equality, significant poverty, "compounds" for foreigners...?) that may be a problem to discuss ahead of time and might present obstacles?
    Are you in contact with families there? Will your company help with relocation beside moving your stuff?

Be aware that in some countries, a girl playing hockey may have trouble finding a team, or that hockey may not be wel-known at all. You could approach the principal right now (before the move) to see how open the school would be to your daughter creating a co-ed hockey team, or if there's no ice rink a co-ed field hockey team? This way she not only would be captain, but also would get to teach her skills and share her enthusiasm.

All in all it'll likely be a mind-opening experience for all.

Choose IB courses carefully: some courses (Math, Physics) at HL level are extremely strenuous.
    Taking the country's language as an SL ab initio will be a great way for your daughter to get external validation for what she's learning out of school.
  • KardinalschnittKardinalschnitt Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    My elder dd is currently at the type of school you are considering. You can PM with me questions if you'd like.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 20,692 Senior Member
    I gather that the OP is an Illinois resident. Here are the relevant regulations:
    F. The minor children of persons who, having resided in this state for at least twelve months immediately prior to such a transfer, are transferred by their employers to some location outside the United States shall be considered as Illinois residents for purposes of the computation and payment of tuition. However, this Section shall apply only when the minor children of such parents enroll in a state-supported Illinois college or university within five years from the time their parents are transferred to some location outside the United States. [Note: The University of Illinois Act (110 ILCS 305/7f(a)) defines “Illinois college or university” as “the University of Illinois, Southern Illinois University, Chicago State University, Eastern Illinois University, Governors State University, Northeastern Illinois University, Illinois State University, Northern Illinois University, and Western Illinois University.” These are the same institutions covered in this Section and in Section K below.]

If the parent(s) or legal guardian of a resident person establishes a domicile outside the state of Illinois after the person has been admitted, the person shall continue to be classified as a resident student until degree completion, assuming timely matriculation and providing the person maintains continuous enrollment and maintains a separate residence within the state of Illinois.

G. It is required that a person who claims Illinois domicile while living in another state or country will provide proof of the continued Illinois domicile. Proof may include, but is not limited to, evidence that the person (or parent or legal guardian as applicable) has not acquired a domicile in another state, has maintained a continuous voting record in Illinois, and has filed regular Illinois resident state income tax returns during absence from the state.

Sounds to me as if it should not be a problem.

I find it highly unlikely that an IB school catering to expat Americans would be unable to provide appropriate support for US college admissions.

Seize the opportunity!
2»