Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Moving abroad beginning of Junior year in HS?

2»

Replies to: Moving abroad beginning of Junior year in HS?

• SuburbMomSuburbMom Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    You are not loony to consider this. My kids were elementary and middle school aged when we moved overseas and the oldest was high school when we moved back. I can tell you that no matter how excited they are, there will be tears. But it is a great experience and I would actually love to do it again some day.

As for your 7th grader who doesn't want to move - one of my kids resisted the move. Big time. She was quite cranky when we were first over there, and she actually shut down with regards to school work. We just gave her time. And worked hard to help her make friends. Things changed once she had friends. We had to step out of our comfort zone on many occassions to participate in activities we normally wouldn't do, just to make sure we were giving her opportunities to interact with her peers and make friends. Your S will adjust. Just be patient with him while he adjusts.

As for ECs for your older daughter - if there will be opportunities for her in the community (outside the school) that she wants to participate in, then the best thing you can do for her is to start her in language lessons now. Put her in an intensive over the summer. Dance classes, art lessons, sports, etc. will be in the native language and it is extremely hard for a teenager to participate without knowing the language. Since they'll be in a school for ex-pats, they'll get language classes, but it may not be enough. She can also look at it as an opportunity to try something new. For example, my son had to give up baseball, but picked up fencing. Your daughter could get involved with Girl Scouts Overseas, even if she isn't involved with GS here. (Speaking from experience - there are tons of great opportunities for high school girls in GSO. I created a troops when we were in Europe and one of the girls in my troop was chosen for a program that paid for her to go to Prague for a youth conference.)

Moving overseas is stressful, but simultaneously exciting. I recommend it.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 495 Member
    University costs that might be affected by your move should be considered in the relocation offer and written into your contract. If your D's instate status is lost by such a move, such costs could be significant. Don't be brushed off by relocation people who may be clueless. Ask what they will offer if you are giving up instate tuition, as I assume they are paying for the international school, look at it is the same context.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 20,372 Senior Member
    I have no useful information for you, but I will say that I think virtually any opportunity to live abroad should be seized with relish. It will be a fabulous experience for your kids!

I lived in England and went to an English boarding school for what would have been 8th and 9th grade. I adored it. It permanently enriched my life. I wanted to stay there when my parents moved back to the US, but alas, they didn't agree to the notion.

I understand that you are more concerned about a rising junior, but I would embrace the experience and be happy she wants to rather than worrying.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 58,642 Senior Member
    While living abroad may be desirable (depending on the country), it is best for the OP to know beforehand the various implications. It appears that in-state tuition at state universities is important to the OP and daughter, so planning for the loss of such if they move abroad is better than moving abroad and then being surprised that they cannot get in-state tuition at any state university.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 495 Member
    The devil is always in the details. Companies can be great, or shady, with relo deals. The issue is often more naivete than anything though, and knowing what to demand. The romantic grand adventure is always exciting until you lose money on your house, cars, university fees, etc. If this was the UK, I expect this wouldn't be a thread. If it was Mongolia,, there are wrinkles to be ironed.
2»