Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

A Prestige Workaround

Replies to: A Prestige Workaround

• colorado_momcolorado_mom Registered User Posts: 8,196 Senior Member
    OP - Perhaps you are overthinkng the prestige angle. I am originally from NY, and I don't really know the difference between Fairfield and Villanova. I remember that an excellent student from my hs went to Fairfield. I've heard of Villanova on CC in recent years - it sounds like a good school too.

" but I can't afford it, because we make too much money" - Yea, college is expensive. But don't assume that if you made little enough money to qualify for a lot of need based FA that you'd be able to afford pricey colleges (unless EFC=0, and even sometimes those families struggle for travel money). I do remember envying people where all college choices were same cost (EFC).. until I saw how much they were gonna need to struggle to make it work.

• TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 344 Member
    Probably three of the wealthiest people I know--all with enormous wealth--attended a public "directional" school, a non-flagship southern state university, and the 4th or 5th rated public university in our state. Two of the schools would not be ranked in any Top 400 ranking. All have terrific families as well. A fourth--similarly wealthy--attended a mid-ranked state flagship and went from there to a top ranked business school. They didn't worry about prestige but just took care of business.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 28,877 Super Moderator
    One of the wealthiest people I have known didn't go to college at all.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,014 Senior Member
    But is there a way to get people to read resumes the way I just described?

No. I once read a resume from someone who attended UCLA but made a point of mentioning that they were admitted to Harvard. I've laughed about it with friends ever since. Hilarious.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    I attended a CUNY college and then a brand new law school which offered me a full ride. One year out of school, I was hired by an insurance defense firm which was well-regarded in the field. It was my second job in law - I got the first by typing my way out of a room of undone work, ala Rumpelstiltskin, utilizing my impressive secretarial skills. The first week I was there, one of the more senior attorneys asked me where I'd gone to school and said that he had a B.S. and Masters in engineering from an Ivy before attending a well-thought of but not tippy top law school. He started to make fun of my background in front of about a dozen of our colleagues. I looked at him and said "Wow, that is so impressive! I can not believe that I work here with you now!" The laughter of our co-workers shut him up. Thirty years later, he is one of my closest friends. Once you get your first job and prove yourself, nobody cares where you went to school for the most part. By the way, I used to work with an attorney who went to Villanova undergrad and now I work with one who went to Fairfield. Both went to HS at Chaminade and both say it was HS that made them the successes they are now.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 59,345 Senior Member
    BTW, where is Xavier?

There is one in Cincinnati and one in New Orleans.
  • hannuhyluhannuhylu Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    edited April 21
    Im sure Ivies have some clout in certain industries and career paths, but for normal careers its flat imo.

Ive worked for Nestle, P&G, Kimberly &Clark, and have worked with leadership and engineering with degrees from MIT to public state (not even flagship) the degree wasnt the key it was a entry necessity, but the person was the variable.

I just dont think it matters unless the end result is politics, marketing, or business where the prestige might get you in the right circle or exposure.

Normal medicine, engineering, etc its not worth the cost difference assuming there was one.

Wait--is this yet another proxy discussion of whether or not "prestigious" colleges are worthwhile or merit their reputations? Because that's the same old circle we've wandered ad infinitum.
  • GourmetmomGourmetmom Registered User Posts: 2,562 Senior Member
    edited April 21
    I know students currently at Villanova and at Fairfield. If you pressed me, I'd guess that Villanova is more selective, but that's really marginal. OP should encourage his daughter to chose the school she likes and feels is the best fit (and is most affordable). This ten degrees of prestige is silly.

The OP's original post about Williams and Xavier is kind of bizarre, so if he's truly interested in the prestige hierarchy, he should do some research.
  • CALSmomCALSmom Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    I've heard of Xavier because of March Madness. I've heard of Williams because I work with a doctor who attended Stanford Medical school on scholarship and did his undergrad at Williams
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 22,298 Senior Member
    I'll admit I'm confused why the examples are Fairfield vs Villanova. Channeling a poster no longer a member: "This must be a region-centric thing." I get they're both Catholic colleges less than 2 hours from NYC.

But it's not like comparing F to the usual CC fixations.
    Totally--is Villanova considered particularly "prestigious" beyond its immediate locale?
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    edited April 22
    USNews ranks Villanova at #50. Fairfield is not in their list of national universities. I think these are the examples because the student is accepted to both but has a significant award from Fairfield.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 22,298 Senior Member
    I believe the oldest is a junior in hs.