Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

A Prestige Workaround

Replies to: A Prestige Workaround

• LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,709 Senior Member
    Oh you are right. It's still hypothetical.
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 14,976 Senior Member
    I've lived all my life in NJ, and I wouldn't think "more prestigious" when thinking about V vs. F. V is more well-known because of basketball, but I would have guessed they're both very good regional universities drawing from a similar pool of students. (Not that that's necessarily true--but from a prestige point of view, it's assumptions that 'matter.")
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,091 Senior Member
    The solution to this prestige problem is to live outside of the DC-Boston corridor or Silicon Valley. These ticky-tack comparisons (talking about Marquette vs. St. Louis, not UChicago vs. Whoville State) have way less traction here, even in the big cities.
  • trackmbe3trackmbe3 Registered User Posts: 426 Member
    edited April 22
    @TTG You say that you know students from some of the wealthiest families you know that went to public directional or mid-ranked state flagship. They didn't care about prestige. My response to that is that wealthy kids don't always need to care of prestige with respect to the college they attend. They know they have trust funds or can go into mommy or daddy's family business --or they have great contacts and connections associated with their family wealth. So those kids never had to work their tails off in high school in order to try and get into highly ranked state or private colleges. This does not mean that as they mature in college they won't do well on their own, but coming from family wealth has its advantages--many times lifelong.
  • runswimyogarunswimyoga Registered User Posts: 914 Member
    edited April 22
    Forbes 2016- Americas Top Colleges lists Villanova as #62 Fairfield as #165

Interestingly, after Bloomberg Business Week ranked Villanova's business undergrad #1 in nation over Wharton and other top undergrad B-schools, they took so much heat they now are no longer ranking undergrad business schools...
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-phillydeals/Does-Villanova-really-have-a-much-better-business-school-than-Wharton-.html

obvi rankings can be taken w a grain of salt... but I do think some maybe underestimating Villanova here -it isn't just a NCAA basketball school
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 14,976 Senior Member
    ^I don't pay much attention to rankings, but a list that puts Villanova ahead of Carnegie-Mellon, Reed, USC, and Johns Hopkins is, I would claim, idiosyncratic at the very least.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,736 Senior Member
    I get where the OP is coming from, and I agree with some of the points, but I disagree with the point that the education 'will be the same' at either school. I'm not referring to Villanova or Fairfield specifically, but in general, I do think educational quality will be different at any 2 schools who have a wide difference in 'ranking'- or a school that is not say in the top 100-125. The quality of teaching, the depth and breadth of classes, the research opportunities offered, the overall ability of your peers and the connections you will make etc.
    Now I do agree with the posters that say you can be successful coming from any college, but I also think that the experience can be different. For instance, if you are coming from certain schools that emphasize writing skills, that is going to set you apart. I have worked with many recent grads, who have extremely poor business writing skills, so when you come across someone who is good, you do take notice and that impacts how they are viewed in the workplace.
    Also agree that a majority of people have no idea what these colleges are. Took my D on 2 visits recently and was talking about them to relatives at Easter. One was an Ivy and it was immediately confused with a state flagship, the other, a very selective LAC, got a perplexed look. Only the current college students in the room, knew what we were talking about.
    FWIW- I did a project recently and worked with 2 recent Villanova grads. Small sample size I know, but very impressive young woman with regard to poise, work ethic and computational skills.
  • surfcitysurfcity Registered User Posts: 1,859 Senior Member
    This thread reminds me of the old Temple marketing campaign: "I could have gone anywhere, but I chose Temple"

Extremely effective, at least in the greater Philly area.
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 2,630 Senior Member
    Discussions of prestigiosity mostly boil down to selectivity.

Notre Dame's ACT range is 32-34; BC's is 30-33; Nova's is 28-31; Fordham's is 26-30; Fairfield's is 24-28. FWIW.

But obviously there are kids at all those schools with stats that overlap and kids at less selective schools who got accepted to more selective schools (usually because the kid got a better financial deal at the lower ranked school).
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 537 Member
    @trackmbe3, I'm sorry if post was not clear enough. I did not mean that the students of these extremely wealthy people went to less prestigious schools. I meant the people themselves went to them--the ones who earned their wealth. None of them--the parents--came from families with much wealth. One was suburban middle class; one came from a working class neighborhood in a major eastern city; another from a suburban high school in our area that is not highly regarded; and one from a small southern town, probably also middle class. Two kids from these families went to highly ranked state flagships. All their other kids went to very solid schools, only one though, I believe, would also appear in the USNWR Top 100 national universities. The others not.

I think the main point is, it's not WHERE you go to school, it's HOW you go to school. Work hard, embrace opportunities, engage with people (professors and students), and treat everyone with dignity and respect. Then one will do well.
  • hannuhyluhannuhylu Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    @TTG
    That about sums it up! Its not where you go it is how you go :) TRUTH!
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 1,448 Senior Member
    edited April 22
    If you think prestige is overrated, the only way to change the system is from within. Get yourself promoted to a high enough position that you can change your company's hiring process.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 61,537 Senior Member
    Hanna wrote:
    The solution to this prestige problem is to live outside of the DC-Boston corridor or Silicon Valley.

In Silicon Valley, college prestige is probably mostly a concern among high school seniors and tiger parents, and in lines of work where college prestige is favored (law wrt law school, IB/VC, consulting). Would it be any different anywhere else?
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,091 Senior Member
    "Would it be any different anywhere else?"

Yes. That's my point. Nutso college competition is way less of a thing in Minneapolis, Chicago, Atlanta, Phoenix, Tampa, Denver, Cincinnati, Houston, St. Louis, you name it. The most obsessive communities in these markets would be nothing special in metro NY/DC/Boston/SV.

Admissions consultants see this in our professional organizations. The number of consultants a market supports has very little to do with the size of a metro area. It has to do with the culture there. I'm pretty sure Westchester County has more consultants than the state of Arizona.