Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

A Prestige Workaround

Replies to: A Prestige Workaround

• ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 Registered User Posts: 3,406 Senior Member
    @northwesty prestige = selectivity = high test scores ?

Can't a school be very "selective" within its slice of the market?

A school can be very popular for kids with less than stellar scores and grades.

Which can make them reject a lot of students - so they are relatively selective.
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 1,246 Senior Member
    edited April 23
    Perhaps, Hanna and @ucbalumnus are both right. People were definitely less obsessed about college admissions where I went to high school, and from what I hear still are. However, I'll admit that I didn't even know what IB/VC were until after I finished college. Perhaps, a greater awareness of certain hyper selective career fields is what drives the admissions arms race in certain prestige focused geographical areas?
  • Middleman68Middleman68 Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    I never heard of either one, so they must be the same. That's an interesting take.

Villanova enrolled GPA: 3.99. Fairfield: 3.41 (weighted). ACT in 30-36 range: Villanova 60 percent; Fairfield 17.

As for being 2 hours from NYC, Villanova students are usually too busy going into Philly to notice.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 28,712 Senior Member
    Back in the day, a few decades ago, my relative opted to go to UCSF Med School over Harvard, Johns Hopkins, and all the other ones who accepted him. He also chose to internship and residency at UCSF and also Los Angeles over Harvard and Hopkins. It hasn't kept him from getting amazing jobs and doing very well. He just couldn't justify the price of the "prestigious Us."
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 28,712 Senior Member
    edited April 23
    Yes, that's what he told the Us he turned down. He became a CA resident as well and UCSF was even cheaper for him. He got the specialty he wanted (ophthamology) in the state and price he wanted with no sacrifice of prestige. He's doing great!
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 29,051 Senior Member
    UCSF is hugely prestigious. I'm not sure I understand the point. My nephew chose a PhD program there over one at MIT (his original undergrad first choice). He was cross when hi mentor ended up at MIT and he had to leave the Bay area which he'd grown to love.
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    UCSF is an amazing university for medicine and research!! It has a number of Nobel Prize winners. I think maybe people haven't heard of it because it doesn't have an undergraduate program. I would say it rivals or beats Stanford in many areas. It' is no "sacrifice" of prestige.
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    Frankly I think prestige is changing in today's world. The jig is up...people in the real world are onto the college B.S. and ridiculous majors. Learning for the sake of learning and going to a name school has changed (for better or worse). Now, it is about staying out of debt while getting a great, practical education. Employers know this and want real people with real skill and work ethic. Most of this board is obsessed with getting into name schools but in the real world, there is so much more that matters. Down the road I'll happily compared the kid who went to a public institution and got an applicable degree for real life to the kid who went to a name school and got a degree in women's studies or the classics (etc.). The most successful people I know did not go to the Ivys or "top notch" colleges/universities.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    @Empireapple - While I agree with your point about debt, I don't agree with your point about 'ridiculous majors'. There is great value in learning how to write clearly, persuasively and succinctly, to apply critical thinking and analysis in work situations and be able to stand up in a conference room and deliver a cogent presentation or sit across from someone at a conference table and successfully present a point of view. These are valuable skills which a liberal arts education delivers. Not saying it is better or worse than a pre-professional education, but it certainly is not 'bs'. I've worked wth a lot of kids coming out of college and many have very limited communication skills, (unless you want to count social media) and would have benefitted greatly by some liberal arts classes.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 12,092 Senior Member
    First, I don't get your point about "ridiculous majors". Second, I disagree. Look at top schools' published outcomes reports and you'll see students with all kinds of majors such as history or English or Gender Studies or classics, etc. going to work at investment banks, consulting firms, places like google. That's not to say they all are - heck, many don't want those jobs - but enough are that it is not an anomaly. Employers want graduates with good critical thinking, research, and writing and communication skills, something strong colleges deliver. College doesn't need to be viewed as a trade school.

@Empireapple Your personal bias is skewing your perspective. Results prove otherwise. But, yes, good outcomes also occur at non-Ivies, of course.
  • ChardoChardo Registered User Posts: 3,000 Senior Member
    I also dispute the notion that students at less prestigious schools don't learn critical thinking, writing, and other liberal arts hallmarks. Every school requires a liberal arts core for all majors. Big public STEM and small private business students still have to take plenty of liberal arts classes.
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 2,461 Senior Member
    edited April 24
    "@northwesty prestige = selectivity = high test scores ?"

Prestige is pretty much what Groucho said -- everyone wants to be a member of the club that wouldn't have them as a member. Which means primarily admissions exclusivity/selectivity.

High test scores are one way to measure it. But as us CC-ers know, the true-est measure of Groucho Marx-style prestigiosity is the good old YTAR -- yield to admit ratio.

That one ratio pretty much captures it all -- (i) how hard it is to get into the club, and (ii) how many people accept the membership if offered. I haven't seen any other metric that so perfectly identifies the collegiate Augusta Nationals and Cypress Points.

Top four YTARs for 2020 -- Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Princeton.

QED.

: )
  • hs2015momhs2015mom Registered User Posts: 665 Member
    Late to the admission-certificate party, but in 1976 Dartmouth did send out fancy certificates of admission. But they folded it in three, like a business letter, which would undermine the framing effort. Harvard, otoh, knew better, and left theirs flat.
  • ScipioScipio Super Moderator Posts: 8,379 Super Moderator
    "UCSF is an amazing university for medicine and research!! It has a number of Nobel Prize winners. I think maybe people haven't heard of it because it doesn't have an undergraduate program. I would say it rivals or beats Stanford in many areas. It' is no "sacrifice" of prestige."

Agree. I know of several people who chose UCSF medical school over HYS medical schools, especially among CA residents who get in. Because they pay instate prices for quality and reputation on par with the top privates.