Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Take Aways From This Year's Admissions

Replies to: Take Aways From This Year's Admissions

• ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,234 Senior Member
    @BoiDel, I can't imagine that the Common App, an association of the 600+ member schools, would ever restrict the number of applications that could be submitted as this current application submission hysteria is working well for the schools - the plummeting acceptance rate looks great from their perspective.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,418 Senior Member
    edited May 7
    @intparent --there were still a few who backed out ED decisions :-O

I guess this happens every year? Wow.
  • gmfreedomgmfreedom Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    1) Too many top institutions reject qualified or over qualified students to control their "yield" simply for the purpose ranking.

2) With over 1 million foreign students currently in US.......universities are often would admit a foreigner than a domestic student with the same stats to control the 'yield'. Also colleges know there is plenty of cheating coming from foreign students, but they totally ignore it.

3) In US 57% of college students are WOMEN and 43% of college students are MEN. This gap is so HUGE....that the only way to explain it would be ....... discrimination (even after adjusting for some social factors why there are fewer men in colleges than women)
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 27,984 Senior Member
    @carachel2, there are always some. But last year they were coming out of the woodwork -- parents and kids who somehow thought binding didn't mean binding for them...
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 1,982 Senior Member
    I second that ED acceptances seem to be increasing, leaving fewer spots for those who have to wait out finaid packages.
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    @friday28 - why not kids apply after the PSAT sophomore year? Think of all of the stress you could eliminate Junior Year.

Any kid who applied to Wake regular decision (ie all of those who can't afford to commit to the $300k) is stacked with AP exams going on right now. Allowing ED so early tilts the playing field too far....and I would suggest hurts those accepted (and their future classmates) by not having them work hard their senior year. I'm all for reducing stress, but a few schools playing games isn't the answer.
  • AidaAida Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    With the effect of ED I and II on regular admissions acceptance rates, holistic admissions practices which often include "demonstrated interest", and the stiff competition in certain impacted majors, my personal take-away is that the traditional three-tiered "safety, target, reach" paradigm is not very useful anymore. There are safeties, and then there is everything else.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 24,091 Senior Member
    Allowing ED so early tilts the playing field too far...

WF has been offering that early ED date for quite awhile and other colleges have not jumped on that bandwagon; its mostly used by legacies (I think).

This discussion has been closed.