Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Take Aways From This Year's Admissions

CValleCValle Registered User Posts: 422 Member
edited May 5 in Parents Forum
We have so many experienced and knowledgable folks on here - just wondering if there are any interesting patterns to be seen in this year's round of admissions. To my lay eyes the big story seemed to be the waitlisting of kids at higher than expected rates. Is that a real change?

Replies to: Take Aways From This Year's Admissions

• roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    The continued move toward earlier decisions seems noteworthy. More colleges seem to be filling a larger percentage of their classes before regular decision rounds and some colleges have opened up admissions to June of junior year.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,374 Senior Member
    I noticed fewer threads of people wanting to back out of their ED acceptances. Last year there were a lot of them, many fewer this year.

I personally don't see the waitlist trend as larger than in the past few years. If you wanted to put numbers to it, wait until the common data sets are published for this year. Then go back and check against previous years. You can see if the # of students waitlisted was higher or not.
  • hzhao2004hzhao2004 Registered User Posts: 489 Member
    I came across quite a few news stories about kids gettig into all eight ivies. It seems to be more than usual. And there are a few non-URM kids. Quite unusual.
  • YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,386 Senior Member
    @intparent We had a parent on the parents thread this year who was pretty open about having backed out of an ED2 acceptance for an RD acceptance. He claimed financial issues to the ED2 school.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,374 Senior Member
    Yes, I saw a couple. Last year there were a lot more.
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 783 Member
    The most obvious one is that all top schools recorded the most number of applicants than ever with the accompanying lowest percentage of admits. Given this pattern over the last several years, I can only predict that the number of cross-applying will increase next coming years. I detect a panic setting upon this year's admissions data, and that future applicants will submit applications to great number of schools. I suspect that we'll be seeing more students applying to 15-20 colleges as opposed to 10-15 in the past.
  • MaryGJMaryGJ Registered User Posts: 737 Member
    Admissions to better schools are getting more and more competitive.
  • BoiDelBoiDel Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Some expensive colleges' COA bordered on $78k per year? or around there....

More than what many families make in a year in this country :)
  • trackmbe3trackmbe3 Registered User Posts: 426 Member
    edited May 6
    I noticed that due to the increase in the number of schools that students apply to, the colleges have to lower the acceptances because they don't know what the yield will be. They don't want to overenroll. So, for example, when I checked our school's Naviance I noticed that for this year even the less competitive SUNY colleges (i.e., less competitive in terms of admissons selection criteria--mid 50% range of standardized test scores of the freshman class profile and the high school class rank) like Cortland, Oneonta, Oswego, Plattsburgh, New Paltz, had acceptance rates in the low to mid 40% range, which was very similar to the acceptance rates of the more competitive/selective SUNY University Centers such as Binghamton (44%) and Stony Brook (42%). The two other SUNY University centers--University at Buffalo and Albany had acceptance rates in the low to mid 50% range, probably because their larger class size could accommodate more freshman students.
This discussion has been closed.