Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Penn State fraternity and 18 of its members are charged in student's death

Replies to: Penn State fraternity and 18 of its members are charged in student's death

• aj725aj725 Registered User Posts: 589 Member
    I don't think Tim Bream's involvement in the case will be as open and shut as it seems right now. If he was in the house (which he was that night), they're going to look into what his job required and was he willfully ignoring his duties going to sleep on bid night -- after presumably having seen case after case of alcohol come into the house on previous days and thus knowing it was a big party night.

Beyond that though -- he's a trainer for PSU football. Anyone in that area who knows PSU football (which many of us do bc we follow it) realizes that by Feb., winter workouts had become for the team -- and those occur at like 5-6 am. And typically the trainer attends them. Even if he isn't attending winter workouts, that coaching staff talks openly about how they do early morning staff meetings 6-7 am and coach Franklin does say in interviews often that they got a report from Tim Bream on this kid or some other kid's status. So did he have a workout/meeting that morning? Likely yes so he wasn't asleep until 10 am when Tim was taken away. Did he come downstairs at 5 or 6 am? Did he see Tim? Tim had moved around the house a bit in the early morning and fallen each time. I realize it's likely a house where drunk guys are laying around all the time. But did he walk by Tim after he had bashed his head on a railing and fallen in the hallway? Or after he had tried to get to the front door and fallen in the lobby? If so -- did he look at him? Step over him to leave? He isn't 21 -- he's in his 40s and a trainer, by looking at him and hearing him (bc apparently he was making some noises - prob from the pain) -- did he think, here's a kid who didn't just have a few too many and maybe I should call someone? I think these will all be relevant questions at least in the civil case but maybe in the criminal case too if there's superceding presentment.
  • MaterSMaterS Registered User Posts: 1,213 Senior Member
    Tim Bream? He lived in this house and didn't realize when he stepped over vomit on his way to his PSU football job that it wasn't a dry house? smh
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 12,504 Senior Member
    It would be interesting to know if advisor quarters had a separate entrance or not. It is a big building although I am not going to believe that he didn't know that partying went on regularly.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 30,191 Super Moderator
    Partying? In a frat house? My dorm was next door to a frat house. We could tell from across a large lawn when there was partying going on.
  • bester1bester1 Registered User Posts: 783 Member
    I wonder if this will have a major impact on the outcome......

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/Prosecutor-in-PSU-frat-case-loses-DA-race.html
  • MomfromPA15317MomfromPA15317 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    Now she is being charged with contempt with the integrity of the video in question.

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/crime/article151557382.html
  • greenbuttongreenbutton Registered User Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    #637 -- I don't think the DA is being charged -- what the article reports is that BETA has asked the court to charge her with contempt because she won't return the original security tapes to them. I'm not a lawyer, but it doesn't seem unusual to keep the evidence rather than hand it back to the accused. Also, Beta Pi's lawyers are betting that the general air of grievance about the DA ( she is a controversial figure, locally, but an accomplished prosecutor) will come in handy. Becuase, it is just too much to hope that Beta national's apology would extend to not dragging the Piazzas through every possible legal manuever. Rotten from the top down. They should be busy cleaning house, not finding a way to avoid responsibility.

Local paper had an excellent piece about all this, I will try and find a link.
  • greenbuttongreenbutton Registered User Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 14,985 Senior Member
    Greenbutton isn't the issue that the prosecutor has not given the defense all the tape? That she released edited versions or pieces of it on a jump drive? I could be wrong as I just glanced at an article about it.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 5,721 Senior Member
    edited May 20
    The original DVR boxes and footage remain in police custody. Individuals associated with the fraternity signed seizure consent forms and turned the equipment over to police. They contend they thought it was just going to be copied and the original video would be returned to them. Understandably, the DA's office is directing the police to retain control of the original video.

My understanding is that the prosecutor herself has a copy of the relevant footage that was shown to the Grand Jury. This is what she copied and turned over to the defense. They are not happy with that and want her to order the police to return the original video footage back to them. It's my understanding that one of the responsibilities of the police is to preserve original evidence that might have been collected during an investigation. I think it would be highly unusual for them to release original evidence to one side during an active and ongoing case.

I haven't seen the original court order but the prosecutor claims she is in compliance. Sure the Judge will sort this out.

• momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 14,985 Senior Member
    Makes sense (the keeping of the original footage). What the defense attorneys might have a problem with is the concept of "relevant" footage if the defense only received pieces of the tapes....what's relevant to the prosecutor may not be relevant to the defense and that's not difficult for anyone to understand. I'm not sure why the prosecutor needs the equipment. She may very well have to make a copy of all the footage but yes, the judge will make the distinction between pieces of the footage and all of the footage and how long the equipment needs to be held. It's a game. Always is and I'm sure just the beginning. We will be hearing bits and pieces for a long, long time under it's all said and done.
  • bester1bester1 Registered User Posts: 783 Member
  • MomfromPA15317MomfromPA15317 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    I spent the past two days at PSU for New Student Orientation and there was discussion of this topic by a few of the speakers. I asked specific questions relating to the fall out regarding housing implications, recruitment, etc. I was told that no decisions have been made about anything. It seems that there is much still up in the air. I am not sure if this is a matter of the Trustees making decisions as cited in this article or a representation of edicts being made without thorough consideration to numerous ramifications of adjustments to Greek life. Time will tell.
  • Snowball CitySnowball City Registered User Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Tangent Alert

I really don't get why students keep pulling this crap.

At Carleton College 13 students were just this week suspended for hazing that involved heavy drinking. One sexual assault was reported. They were part of an underground social club. I am not certain if it was already existing or it was newly formed.

The city police are involved.

The suspensions are for 3 terms which equals one year there. I am assuming that they also cannot finish the current term. Both males and females were suspended.

http://www.startribune.com/extreme-alcohol-consumption-tied-to-secret-club-at-carleton-prompts-13-suspensions/423475053/