Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Penn State fraternity and 18 of its members are charged in student's death

OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,643 Senior Member
Wow. Callous, negligent, selfish....none of these words seem adequate for what these young men did.
The cameras recorded Piazza drinking vodka and beer around 9:20 p.m., and an hour later needing help to walk from an area near the basement stairs to a couch, staggering and hunched over. He's later shown trying unsuccessfully to open the front door, then "severely staggering drunkenly toward the basement steps" about 10:45 p.m., the grand jury report said.

He was subsequently found at the bottom of the steps after apparently falling face-first. Four brothers carried his limp body back upstairs, where some poured liquid on him, and another slapped him in the face, the jury said. Fraternity members put a backpack containing textbooks on him so he would not suffocate on his own vomit, the jury wrote.

When a fraternity brother insisted Piazza needed medical help, he was confronted and shoved into a wall, the report said. When the same brother insisted again that Piazza required help, he was told others were biology and kinesiology majors so his opinion wasn't as valuable as theirs, the jury said.

Eight of the fraternity brothers and the chapter itself were charged with involuntary manslaughter. Other charges include aggravated and simple assault, evidence tampering, alcohol-related violations and hazing.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-penn-state-frat-death-20170505-story.html

Replies to: Penn State fraternity and 18 of its members are charged in student's death

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 31,540 Senior Member
    Heartbreaking. Not calling for help for 12 hours?!
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 61,537 Senior Member
    The fraternity in question is Beta Theta Pi, or ΒΘΠ.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 10,848 Senior Member
    @cobrat
    wouldn't recommend counting on them for anything....especially in a life-threatening emergency as they've amply demonstrated here.

Maybe the brothers are more considerate and human when sober. :(
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Registered User Posts: 4,088 Senior Member
    I just read this story. So sad. I'm just wondering if the other boys were so wasted they didn't notice he was missing (it sounds like he fell down basement stairs). It also sounds like he was trying to leave (he tried to get out the front door). This is so disgusting the amount of booze they made those boys drink. What a waste. Those poor parents.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 31,890 Senior Member
    edited May 5
    I just will never understand the point of getting that wasted. After a certain point, you black out and don't remember anyway. What's the point of supposedly having if you're not going to remember it?

It's just sickening.

That said, I agree that they were probably too wasted to notice or know what to do. That in no way excuses or even lessens their culpability. They should face the maximum charges and sentences possible imo.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 10,848 Senior Member
    @cobrat I was joking.
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 7,849 Senior Member
    edited May 5
    17% of Penn State (http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/hub/greeks/) is involved in Greek life. Don't blame the rest of us for it.
  • MaterSMaterS Registered User Posts: 1,243 Senior Member
    My children went to colleges where it was drilled into their heads from day one that they will never get in trouble for calling a transport for a drunk friend.

I have read threads on CC over the years where the caller faces disciplinary action. That is just wrong.

The backpack on a drunk friend idea is beyond belief. I went to serious party school and I only became aware of this practice within the last year.