Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

How concerning is this year's college openings list from NACAC?

Replies to: How concerning is this year's college openings list from NACAC?

• LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    Sure, that's correct @Chembiodad but you will not find anyone on CC who doesn't think Whitman is an excellent school. Reed and St. Olaf are part of CTCL, also excellent schools. I don't want to get sidetracked by that tangent though. I am just interested in exploring the issues about some of the schools on the NACAC list.
  • BerrycupcakeBerrycupcake Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    @Lindagaf I'm a student doing some of my own research. Hope I'm not invading too much.

Can I ask why your daughter didn't end up at Whitman? I've pretty much decided to apply.
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 398 Member
    @Berrycupcake, we visited Whitman a few years ago and were impressed. Faculty seem outstanding. D decided to study at an overseas university.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 11,905 Senior Member
    Another family that loves Whitman. It was one of the final 3 contenders for one of my kids. The students I personally know who went there, loved it.
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 398 Member
    There are some large state schools on the list as well. I also wonder how much of it is a male problem. Females now substantially outnumber males in higher education. Males seem to be having more difficulty successfully navigating high school and moving on to college. And staying there. I see it a lot in my community. If half of a school's market is struggling to be qualified, it will be hard to reach enrollment goals.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 11,905 Senior Member
    University of Vermont is a great state college, with a nice vibe in a fun college town. Lake access as well as proximity to skiing and hiking makes it a great fit for nature lovers.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 20,857 Senior Member
    There are always some really nice and solid LACs on the list, such as Whitman, Hendrix, Goucher, Sewanee, and others. A few years ago, College of Wooster and Eckerd were on the list, now they are off.

Usually it is schools with small endowments that cannot offer significant FA.

I know a great kid who was rejected at all of his schools who applied to and attended Eckerd off the list. He did very well at Eckerd, and is doing well professionally and in life in general. Happy endings. :D
  • colfac92colfac92 Registered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    Note that per their listing, UVM is not taking any more first year students, but has openings for transfer students...
    Let's face it, a lot of the less illustrious LACs in particular are in trouble, financially. It remains to be seen who will survive the shakeout in higher education.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    edited May 6
    No problem @Berrycupcake . One, she never visited, so that made it easier to say no. She was accepted to colleges she was more interested in. Whitman was not a safety, but it was a low match. I think if she hadn't been accepted to schools that were higher up her list, she would have considered Whitman a lot more seriously. Her current roomie was devastated at being waitlisted by Whitman and never got offered a place. This was literally last year. My daughter was intrigued by the college and Walla Walla and thought more people should know about it.

@Consolation you are probably right. That certainly adds to the problem.
  • colfac92colfac92 Registered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    Uh oh! I just saw the institution I work for on the list......

(meanwhile I also just sawthat Colby is apparently sending out letters to students who have accepted their offer of admission informing them that the deadline for requesting to take a gap year or other deferral has been extended! Perhaps their yield was better than expected and they overshot their target -- the opposite problem to the schools on this list....)
  • Mom24boysMom24boys Registered User Posts: 849 Member
    I was surprised to see so many Maryland schools on the list, both large publics and small private and public LAC. St. John's which is a great niche school is almost always on the list but Loyola,, Hood, St., Mary's College (public), UMBC, Washington College and most surprising UMCP.
  • sryrstresssryrstress Registered User Posts: 2,290 Senior Member
    Butler has a very good reputation in Indiana and the Midwest. They do a lot of things very well, but they are also very expensive and their aid isn't as generous as others.
    I see the University of Maryland on the list, but it doesn't say College Park.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 927 Member
    edited May 6
    @Consolation, agree as most private schools rely on their endowments to fund 20-25% of the operating budget so am not certain how the schools with less than $100mm endowments continue to thrive. That said, I can't figure out why a school like Whitman would be under-enrolled as it's a very solid school with a large endowment, and given its located in a region that has fewer LAC's one would think it would be seeing an ever lower acceptance rate like many NE LAC's.