Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How concerning is this year's college openings list from NACAC?

LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
edited May 6 in Parents Forum
I was really shocked to see some excellent universities and LACs on this year's space available list. Maybe it's not that unusual and I am concerned about nothing. Is this indicative of a new era of colleges being unable to meet yield? Is it due to students submitting ever larger numbers of applications? Is it indicative of students turning away from LACs? Has this kind of thing happened before, and is there reason to be concerned?

https://www.nacacnet.org/news--publications/Research/CollegeOpenings/

Replies to: How concerning is this year's college openings list from NACAC?

• BerrycupcakeBerrycupcake Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Out of curiosity what are these great schools? From what I've seen on this forum and elsewherr, a lot of the same schools are on this list every year and they aren't very well ranked. Please correct me about the last part if I'm wrong though
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    @Berrycupcake Whitman College, Union College, and Butler University are some of them. Whitman especially has a good reputation. Both LACs rank in the top 50 in USNWR I think. Butler is regional number 2.
  • am9799am9799 Registered User Posts: 661 Member
    @Berrycupcake
    Skidmore has an acceptance rate of 36% and is well ranked.
    Skidmore is only accepting transfers which makes sense. Union College, KY is being confused with Union College, New York. The rank of the Union College on this list is not published, but Union College NY is ranked 41. Whitman is the only outlier I see and that's normal, last year's outlier was Penn State
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,709 Senior Member
    edited May 6
    But note there is not space for first years at Skidmore, only transfers. I think their acceptance rate was even lower (more difficult) this year. Last year they had so many students accepting their admission offer they we offering $ incentives to upper class students to live off campus. I am surprised about Union. It is ranked similarly to Skidmore. It has a very different flavor to it, so the two may appeal to different students.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,230 Senior Member
    edited May 6
    I haven't followed these lists in the past but another name that surprised me was Sewanee.

Penn State is on this year's list.

And, yes, it is not the Union College in NY.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 62,596 Senior Member
    Biggest surprises on that list for me...for incoming freshmen...Lawrence and Suwanee. Both great schools.

Note that there are schools on the list they are accepting freshmen but don't have housing.

Still...lots of good choices available in terms of colleges either for late applicants...or for those who didn't get accepted where they thought they might.
    Yes, I went back and had a look. It is the Union in KY. Beloit and De Pauw are also on the list. It does seem like a lot of good schools are on it.

I agree @thumper1 . I feel like going back and doing a search for all the kids who were unhappy with their options and telling them to look at this list.
    I guess Whitman is on the list because of location? The English and history departments seem very rigorous and even have oral/written exams to graduate. I'm thinking of applying but the transition from NYC scares me.
    @Berrycupcake , better not leave NY. It's a scary world out there:-) I didn't realize you are a student. Every year there are at least one or two surprises on the NACAC list.

Whitman is an excellent school. No doubt it won't let its standards slip because of one year. My D (NY) applied and got in last year. Her roommate (NH) was waitlisted at Whitman. Both are at a well-known NESCAC.

Anyway, I am hoping this is just an anomaly.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,252 Senior Member
    edited May 6
    I think this is indicative of the reassessment of the value of mid-tier schools (not saying a top-50 LAC is mid-tier as I know a few are on the list) or in some cases marginal schools that cost $40-60k per year and aren't likely to be able to provide a lot of either need-based or merit aid.
  • porcupine98porcupine98 Registered User Posts: 1,399 Senior Member
    I dunno. Seems as if there have been a few good but underappreciated schools on that list before. Maybe the count is of schools I recognize is up a little...
    @Chembiodad my D was offered a generous scholarship last year at Whitman, so I don't know if that is the case. Whitman is already about 10k less expensive I believe than many other LACs.

@porcupine98 , yes, same for me I guess.
  • PNWedwonkPNWedwonk Registered User Posts: 418 Member
    edited May 6
    I'm also surprised at Whitman. Willamette and Linfield (Oregon) are on there too. Not quite in the same tier as Whitman, but well thought of in the Pacific Northwest.

I've been wondering if the proposed travel ban legislation and general US climate these days has reduced the yield and retention rates for international students. So much has changed since the students made their lists and applied that I can imagine some schools might have miscalculated for admissions.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,252 Senior Member
    edited May 6
    In addition while I don't want to open a can of worms, CTCL is now a marketing tool with 44 member colleges and while it's a great way to profile some wonderful schools that may otherwise go unnoticed its not an objective assessment.