Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Where are the top 10 students from your (or your child's) high school going to?

CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 935 Member
Out of curiosity. In no particular order.

1 to UChicago
1 to West Point
1 to Brown
1 to Vanderbilt
1 to JHU
1 to USAFA
1 to Colorado School of Mines
2 to CU Boulder
1 to University of Denver

Replies to: Where are the top 10 students from your (or your child's) high school going to?

• Sambar99Sambar99 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    I don't know all of the top 10, but at my DS's school (very small private school in CA) the top 3 are going to Boston College (full ride), UCLA and USC.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 31,652 Senior Member
    I graduated with 1600+ students. I didn't know where a single "top" student went. I know we had some going to Ivies, most to U of M, and then a handful of private LACs. But those are just people I know.

My HS was way too big to determine who were the top 10 students so they simplified it by making everyone who had a GPA of 4.0 or higher as tied for rank 1. Worked fine for us.
  • 2018dad2018dad Registered User Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    This was few years back at my D's SoCal Suburban public HS:

Stanford
    Yale
    Columbia
    Cornell
    Johns Hopkins
    Berklee College of Music
    Berkeley
    UCLA
    UC San Diego
    UC Davis
  • maya54maya54 Registered User Posts: 995 Member
    edited May 9
    Daughters top 10

Duke
    Stanford
    U of Chicago
    USC ( full ride)
    Dartmouth
    Brown
    Vanderbilt ( Education major)
    Penn/ Wharton 3

Also a recruited athlete in top 10 percent to Harvard.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 5,476 Senior Member
    Emory, UF, Cornell, Brown, Yale (accepted to Harvard and Princeton also), MIT, Northeastern (and I can't remember the others). Small private.
  • booboojrbooboojr Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    The school allows students to put on the board their names and which schools they were admitted

Yale - 2; including Cassandra Hsiao - she got into every Ivy League school/Stanford, etc. and picked Yale - there's an article about her on Yahoo news, LA Times and other media outlets
    Stanford - I know 6 students alone got in during early admits
    Princeton - 2; first time in the last 4 years that someone from this school got into Princeton
    USC/Cal/Berkeley - double digits for each
    NYU - too many to count, LOL NYU and USC are huge favorites at this school - we're a conservatory and academic school
    Pomona College - 1 (my daughter attends PMC currently)
    Harvey Mudd - 1
    Northwestern - 2
    Other Ivy Leagues - all represented with students from OCSA - Orange County School of the Arts
    Julliard - 1

• tutumom2001tutumom2001 Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    I know one of them is going to Yale. Generally, the school sends kids to most Ivies as well as MIT, Stanford, and various LACs around the country.
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,173 Senior Member
    D only knows about the expected val and sal: Princeton, and Rutgers.
  • vistajayvistajay Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    Private Jesuit school with lots of middle and upper middle class families (last year). These were where the 15 vals went, most on scholarship:

Tulane
    Ole Miss
    Northeastern
    U of Dallas
    Notre Dame (5)
    Fordham
    Penn
    LSU (2)
    Alabama (2)

• 2017journalismhopeful2017journalismhopeful Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    My school doesn't rank, but it's large (500 people in the class) public HS, with our three NHS officers (who are also three of the top 1% likely) one is going to UPenn, one to Columbia, and one on a full ride to UMich's Honors College. For top thirty schools:

None at Harvard, Princeton, Cornell, Rice, Duke, Chapel Hill, or Yale this year.
    Four at UChicago
    One at Columbia
    Two at Stanford
    Three at MIT
    Three at UPenn
    One at Dartmouth
    Seven at Northwestern
    One (Me!) at Brown
    One at Notre Dame
    Five at Vanderbilt
    One at Wash U
    One at Emory
    Two at Georgetown
    Four at UC-Berkeley
    Three at USC
    One at Carnegie Mellon
    One at Tufts
    Six at UMich

• HamlonHamlon Registered User Posts: 1,090 Senior Member
    UT, Texas A&M, UTD, and Tufts. I might have missed one or two kids, but that is most everyone in top 10. Students don't leave the state very often.
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 480 Member
    Approximate Top Ten: MIT, Duke (2), UVA, Wake Forest, Northwestern, William and Mary, Dartmouth, Swarthmore, and Wash U.
  • shortnukeshortnuke Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    @CottonTales It's not uncommon for this to be published in one or more media. High Schools (particularly expensive private ones) like to post which "elite" schools their students are accepted to.

At D18's HS a local restaurant held a breakfast in honor of the top 10 graduating seniors. It was shown on the community FB page with their GPA and college destination. I find it interesting that none of them chose to attend an Ivy, only one chose to attend a "Public Ivy", and only 2 chose private universities in USNWR.

UF - 4 students (including Valedictorian and Salutatorian)
    UCF - 2 students
    ND - 1 student
    UCLA 1 student
    WUStl - 1 student
    Warren U - 1 student
  • hannuhyluhannuhylu Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    I only the Val at each one was Texas A&M the other was Vanderbilt.