Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Women's College Road Trip

Replies to: Women's College Road Trip

• hophop Registered User Posts: 720 Member
    I agree about giving her target schools enough time. Simmons, for example, is a great place and although it's a small school and can be seen in a short amount of time, it would be worth spending the extra time doing the info session and tours.

I agree with the posters above that Bay Path and Cedar Crest may not have the academic heft that she's looking for.
    If possible, I would try use any extra time to arrange for an interview with your regional representative at all of her target school.

Be sure to report back.
  • redpoodlesredpoodles Registered User Posts: 2,109 Senior Member
    Rent a car from the start. Wellesley is a good walk from the commuter rail and you'll be exhausted b/c the tour also takes an hour up and down hills and stairs and August is hot and humid. Wellesley has ample parking for visitors year round.

Simmons has a garage you can park in.

Smith and Mount Holyoke both kind of require a car.

Not sure why you're going to Bay Path--it's mostly a commuter school for adults and doesn't fit with the others.

Have a great time!
  • SAYSAY Registered User Posts: 726 Member
    CGabi I think your daughter will be competitive at any of the women's colleges. These days none of them are among the most selective. Even Wellesley admits almost 50% ED and 30% overall. The truth is that the single sex women's colleges are not that popular for most top female applicants for a variety of reasons.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 60,860 Senior Member
    edited May 17
    Wellesley doesn't give merit aid...they give only need based aid.

Bryn Mawr might have some very competitive merit awards....but their aid is mostly need based. The cost to attend these schools exceeds $60,000 a year.

I agree with renting a car the whole time. Just be alerted....driving in Boston is no easy thing. The roads aren't all straight...and the drivers are nuts. Just allow yourselves sufficient time to get from place to place.

Is there some reason Barnard isn't on the list?
  • ChristiGabiChristiGabi Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Great advice here! We probably will cross some of these off our list, and your input helps with that. Barnard isn't on the list because my daughter said a definite no to NYC. She's a small town girl. Simmons might also be out for that same reason, but she's never been to Boston, so is keeping an open mind. I did run some net price calculators this afternoon. Whew, it's pricey! I suppose it will come down to whether or not we're willing to take out student loans. We were hoping to avoid that, but if she ends up with a phenomenal opportunity, it's hard to say no.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,194 Senior Member
    Unless she's firm on a women's college, I'd trade Bay Path for Amherst or a Boston school. It would give her a nice comparison. Or add more schools near Philly. I know NE looks like a tiny little area and that it doesn't take much time to get from Amherst to Phila., but it really does. I wouldn't go all that way without looking at a few more schools in Phila.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 20,857 Senior Member
    Honestly, Simmons is the kind of school to look at if you want to major in early childhood education. For things like that, it is great. Math and physics? I strongly doubt it. I wouldn't bother to look at Simmons either.

I don't want to discourage you from women's colleges--I'm a Wellesley alum myself--but you need to look at the right schools. If your daughter is interested in exploring LACs in general, in addition to women's colleges, while she is in the north east, I would suggest that you consider visiting one or two of the elite coed LACs such as Amherst / Williams / Swarthmore / Haverford in addition to Wellesley / Smith / MHC / Bryn Mawr. The only problem is that they are reachy. Her scores are fine, but her GPA is iffy. On the other hand, she is a girl in STEM. On the other hand, she is a girl, and LACs tend to favor male applicants.

Have you considered the west coast and south? Scripps and Agnes Scott?

@SAY, acceptance rate is not a particularly accurate sensor of educational value and selectivity at schools where the population is very much self selecting, as at top women's colleges.
  • mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,067 Senior Member
    Agree that you may want to add a coed LAC or two to your trip. Kids change a lot, even from the beginning of Senior year until April. She may find a coed school that she is really interested in.
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Registered User Posts: 4,016 Senior Member
    Smith alum here. Smith would love to have your smart DD! But if it isn't a fit, would she consider a coed school like Fairfield University in CT? Reason I mention it is they offered my DD (with similar stats) a LOT of merit aid -- $26k. Check it out.
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 2,407 Senior Member
    edited May 18
    If she's open to co-ed, you might want to add in a couple of slightly less competitive LACs where her test scores would put her in contention for merit aid consideration. If you're visiting Bryn Mawr, for example, Muhlenberg or Dickinson might be worth a look. Both good schools, somewhat lower ranked, and in the safer zone for admission.
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 Registered User Posts: 2,865 Senior Member
    I agree with the posters above--drop Bay
    Path. Also, rent a car in Boston to go out to Smith and Mt Holyoke. You can use Uber to get to Simmons and Wellesley from your hotel in Boston. Boston traffic is crazy and if you can avoid it, do so. (I have lived in the greater Boston area for 37 years and I hate it too.) The drive from the Pioneer Valley (where Smith and Moho are located) to Philadelphia is at least 5 hours.

You might want to look at Wheaton College in Norton, MA (used to be all-women back in the day). It is a good LAC where your D would stand out; the college has several large merit scholarships ($25K). A good friend's D got one. This same student also participated in a college exchange program at Brown (20 mi away) where she took courses that Wheaton didn't offer, in her case, upper-level Arabic.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 60,860 Senior Member
    What about Vassar?
  • Akqj10Akqj10 Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    If Bryn Mawr isn't a must, I would consider keeping this trip just New England, and just Massachusetts would suffice. Not to dis Bryn Mawr, but three reasons:
    1) It pretty far making your fun trip into an busy trip.
    2) Mount Holyoke and Bryn Mawr are very similar.
    3) Bryn Mawr does not consider if you visit in their admission decision if I remember correct. ( you can later visit if she is admitted )

Visiting Simmons doesn't change the plans much. I would suggest flying into Boston and renting a car. Visit Simmons and take a trolly tour of Boston. You can swing by Northeastern and Boston University among others in minuets, and I think you may actually drive by Northeastern just driving from the airport.

Go out to visit Wellesley, which even at 30% is very difficult to get into, and you can swing by Babson and Olin to check them out as they are about 3,5 miles away from Wellesley and your daughter might add Olin as a reach. I would second Bromfield 2 that Wheaton (MA) could be added at this time, my daughter got a very generous merit award with stats similar to your daughters. Fairfield might be to far for this trip but fill a similar slot as Wheaton (MA)

Skip Bay Path, but you could add WPI as an option at this time, Woman with math skills can get pretty good aid here. It is in Worcester and you will almost drive thought going from Wellesley to Smith.

When you are visiting Smith and Mount Holyoke, you most likely will be driving by Hampshire college, and while at Smith you are close enough to Amherst that walking the campus will not add much time. You can then drive by U-Mass because you will be 1.5 miles away.

We have been to all these schools, most twice, except Bryrn Mawr, and I am not suggesting not to consider it, just visiting on this trip makes it pretty challenging. Skipping Bryn Mawr will allow you to visit Wheaton, WPI, Olin and others in less time than including this one school. Obviously your own research will determine which ones to drive by, walk and or tour. If you have extra time on the way back to Boston go to Harvard Square and walk through Harvard Yard.
  • beepmamoopbeepmamoop Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, this is the daughter in question. Thank you all so much for your input! I have crossed Bay Path off of my list. I am certainly still considering coed schools, Though from what I've learned, I believe a women's college would be a great fit! I am not, as my mom said, a small town girl, but rather a sucker for medium sized/small cities. Here's a question; What are the towns of the aforementioned colleges like? political leaning, population density, etc. Thanks again for all of your great input.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,194 Senior Member
    Boston is actually a small city as far as cities go, but with a lot around it. It's Urban and very walkable. Wellesley is suburban but close enough to the city to make all the city things easily available - theater, sports, airports, restaurants. The rest are small towns. Amherst has a lot of people because UMass has a lot of students, but no one is going to mistake it for Chicago or NYC. Northampton is small. In the area, there are the typical big box stores like BB&B, Barnes and Noble, Home Depot, grocery store chains. The little towns have more Mom and Pop stores, diners, bookstores, cafes, Starbucks, Friendly's. They are all politically liberal as are most college towns or at least the college campuses in the towns.