Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Do kids get a break if they have a doctor's note?

12346»

Replies to: Do kids get a break if they have a doctor's note?

• catbird1catbird1 Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    If she hasn't tried them already, I highly recommend checking out trigger point injections. I haven't had a single migraine since I started getting them a few times a year.

https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/understanding-migraine/the-basics-of-trigger-point-injections-for-headache-and/
  • MLMMLM Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    At my son’s college, the student must initiate contact with the disability office and provide appropriate medical documentation and apply for specific accommodations which must be approved. The student is responsible for speaking with his professors regarding accommodations approved.

My son only asked for a note taker and it was approved fairly quickly after he provided appropriate documentation. If he had requested exam accommodations, it would have taken everything to a different level, with a lot more paperwork and documentation which would go into his quality of life and such. By the time they would have approved (or denied) exam accommodations, the semester and exams would have been over and they would have been in the next quarter.

• compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 8,088 Senior Member
    Our school's disability office had the same requirements and letters to prof's. But day to day academic accommodations were often handled by dean via doctor's note. My kid postponed an exam with a brief visit to the dean, no paperwork at all, but she had chronic conditions already known by all.

Not sure a broken arm would even go through the disabilities office since it is temporary.

So he didn't ask- that explains it. I am glad he was able to finish and hope there was no big impact on grades etc. due to the broken arm.
  • AbsDadAbsDad Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    @catbird1

Interesting because I get TPI's for back pain, and they only work for about 3 days, and then my pain comes right back, I stopped getting them as I don't want all the steroids in me.... and the ones that are just lidocaine don't work at all for me.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,120 Senior Member
    When my DD had her emergency surgery and missed over two weeks of classes...she worked with her advisor, the Dean of Students, and her professors...NOT the disability office.

When she was admitted to the hospital, the first contact she made was to the Dean of Students and her advisor. Next was her professors...so they would know why she was not in class.

The Dean of Students and her advisor were fabulous. Their goal was that she be able to complete as many courses as possible when she returned to classes.

But she missed a LOT of class...and one class...it was just impossible to make up,the missed work, and she withdrew from that class. That also enabled her to concentrate better on the remaining classes.

In other words...for that one class...it was IMPOSSIBLE for her to make up the missed work AND at the same time proceed with what was being taught.

But she never worked with the disabilities office. She did need notes from the doctors, but that was not an issue. The Dean of Students really was a huge advocate for her.
  • CCMThreeTimesCCMThreeTimes Registered User Posts: 301 Member
    edited June 16
    My son gets debilitating migraines that can knock him out for three days at a time one or two times a month (in addition to the headaches, he vomits non-stop and can't stand light). He's under the care of the best neurologists at UCSF, but they've only succeeded in reducing the number migraines he gets, not eliminating them. During orientation at Cal, he met with someone at the health center and received an accommodation. He informs each professor and teaching assistant of this at the start of the semester. We've both been happy about the way his professors understand and work with him if he has to miss class.
  • younghossyounghoss Registered User Posts: 3,007 Senior Member
    edited June 16
    I agree with posts 1 and 2, way back there.
    If the ailment rises to the level of being legally disabled, then yes, by all means try for some accommodations. Just a note that says " she gets headaches and might miss" isn't enough on it's own. Disabled persons can be at a real disadvantage so accommodations help them be equal, so naturally any college has to be careful not to give accommodations intended for the disabled to any student that merely asks for them. Don't expect this young student do do all the work in full, on time like other students(if she is disabled). Of course trying for accommodations does not guarantee getting them, but you darn sure can't get accommodations without trying. There may need to be more documentation than just your family doctor saying this student had bad headaches.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,172 Senior Member
    @absdad any update on your daughter? How is she doing?
  • catbird1catbird1 Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    @AbsDad

Just goes to show that everyone's bodies react differently, I guess! I completely understand not wanting the steroids in your body. My TPIs are done with Traumeel, which is a homeopathic herb blend (primary ingredient is arnica, I think). I get the injections in my upper back - only about 3-4 times a year - and amazingly, I'm migraine-free. Whatever works!
  • AbsDadAbsDad Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    @romanigypsyeyes

Well, she is doing "OK". She has her 504 now. She had the daith of her ear pierced, and has had only 2 minor headaches since the piercing, which is great!

One thing I do know about my daughter: She will never use accommodations unless she really needs them; it is not in her personality. I once saw her do homework for 7 hours with a bad migraine.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,172 Senior Member
    @AbsDad that is SO wonderful! I am so, so happy for her. I wish her continued good health!

Thank you so much for updating us!

I completely understand about being stubborn and not wanting accommodations. It took me about 4 months of extreme frustration to finally give in and admit I needed a wheelchair. Sometimes, stubborn is good. Sometimes, stubborn is our own worst enemy.
    In high school, I once found my daughter in the dark (because of a migraine) but using a small flashlight beam to do her assigned reading.

Most kids with real problems want to be "normal" and do not want accommodations. In college, this often meant getting assignments done well in advance in case she had a migraine (or seizure, she had both) the night before due. She left any socializing early and always went to bed early. And if things got too bad she took a leave.

BUT, she did use accommodations, mainly because of the migraine recovery time, which sometimes made it hard to get things done in time. A kid with migraines doesn't always benefit from extensions because the pressures of making up work while keeping up with what is currently assigned can trigger a migraine! But they also can be crucial.

Technology can help. That is an accommodation. One young woman had all her reading on a tv, because smaller print was a problem for her.

The dean explained the concept of a level playing field and that accommodations are not a favor. I hope your daughter can accept them at some point because they were crucial in my daughter's ability to graduate.
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 829 Member
    I'm really learning a lot here - very insightful thread. On the subject of diet, I read a book on grains and it posited that even if you don't have gluten sensitivity, gluten could be a cause of migraines. A neurologist took his patients off gluten completely and saw good results, any validity to that, has anyone tried that?

My daughter who has migraines also has celiac and has been off gluten for years. So it didn't help her migraines- only meds have. But it is an idea worth trying. Eliminating dairy helps some as well.
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 5,823 Senior Member
    SIL was just mentioning that her S had migraines they found seem to be caused by milk products.
12346»