Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Opinions on Ohio Schools from Ohio residents

Replies to: Opinions on Ohio Schools from Ohio residents

• homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,264 Senior Member
    @Ohiodad51 Hugely helpful. Thank you for your long response! I think S19 might fit best at Kenyon but we would have to check out the sciences there. He's not 100% sure he wants a science degree but (as of yesterday) is thinking about Environmental Science or Studies and Kenyon only has a concentration in that, not a major. That still might be ok depending on the program. That being said, S19 still loves English and History and Math so he needs to be somewhere with options.

Oberlin still looks like the school (of these three) that best fits him for curriculum, but he's not overly political and already gets annoyed when people don't like to debate different points of view. I don't think Oberlin is the best fit socially for him. He is an artist but doesn't live for it so I think his artist-life would fit better where there's an art department so he can still dabble but not be taken so seriously.

Denison remains pretty interesting. I think he would like that it's in a little bit bigger town than Kenyon and it's a little more mainstream. And there might be more merit there, although kids from our high school with comparable grades and SAT scores seem to get merit at all three.

Love hearing everyone's responses!
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Registered User Posts: 2,155 Senior Member
    Kenyon has very legit science programs. If I am not mistaken bio in particular is strong, for fwiw. One thing to think about, and speaking as a parent of a kid who will get an undergrad degree in enviornmental bio but likely pursue grad studies in a related field, is that if your son is thinking of a career in the sciences, flexibility within the particular department, and specifically opportunities for different types of research while in undergrad, are maybe more important than how a particular course of study is denominated.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,826 Senior Member
    edited June 19
    Denison has been on a bit of a building spree. New athletic center with an amazing pool (Denison and Kenyon go back and forth for the top spot in the national D3 championship though Emory snuck in this year). Michael Eisner is a Denison grad and a new arts center is being built with his name on it: https://denison.edu/news-events/press/87685 - that is going to host the drama, music and dance departments when it's done. The visual arts building already got a big renovation and addition just a few years ago. Finally, new Bio/Biochem building opened in 2003.

Denison has a large endowment, the largest per student of the ones discussed here (and i guess in the state, in terms of private schools anyway). https://www.collegeraptor.com/college-rankings/details/EndowmentPerStudent/State/OH

Denison was my S' first choice school. He was waitlisted tough.
    Ok. @OHMomof2 . Big plus for Denison! We will see. I'm taking S19 to see University of Chicago next week to see how important the intellectual factor is to him. I know it's summer but I still think he will be able to pick up on it through the presentation and the tour. I need to see what he thinks about the "thinker" type of school. That would make a difference in our list and maybe put a Kenyon (or a Grinnell or a Carleton) ahead of a place like Denison. But, then again, maybe not...need to visit!

Thanks again for the info. :\">
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 9,999 Senior Member
    edited June 19
    @Ohiodad51: "Personally, I think they are the three best schools in the state by a pretty wide margin."

Case Western also exists.

Also, just as an aside, IMO, you folks in OH are also pretty spoiled in terms of highly-regarded public options outside of OSU as well (DAAD, theatre, and co-op@ Cincy, polymers @ Akron, Honors Tutorial College @ OU, public Ivy @ Miami U.
    @PurpleTitan I agree. So many good schools in Ohio. I'm not sure about Miami being a public Ivy, though. Scores don't seem particularly high and the kids I know who go there from Illinois not in top 10 percent of high school class.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Registered User Posts: 2,155 Senior Member
    @PurpleTitan, I understand about CWRU. But I do think that Case's rep - outside of engineering - has slipped a bit in the last twenty years or so. Still a great school though. As always, ymmv.

And you are right about the public options as well. Ohio has a ton of good options.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    edited June 19
    Some additional info on Kenyon/Denison similarities and differences --

Kenyon greek life is about 20% participation, and at Denison is around 25% for males, higher for females. Greek life is non-residential at both, Kenyon said space is designated in the dorms for members of each chapter so that they live together, at Denison, greek life students select room draw rooms near each other but it is usually a small group, not the entire chapter.

OP's son might take a look at environmental science major at Denison, there is a 300+ Bio reserve just by campus which is integral to the ES program.

Kenyon's acceptance rate increased to 33%, after being in the mid 20% range for a few years. Denison's has been dropping steadily, and was 37% most recently.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,826 Senior Member
    edited June 19
    @homerdog - Miami was in the "Public Ivy" book that I suppose coined the term, by Richard Moll, in 1985. https://www.amazon.com/Public-Ivys-Richard-Moll/dp/0140093842

Indeed until fairly recently, Miami was preferred over OSU in our area, or at least close. It still brags about its USNews #2 best undergrad teaching rep, right after Princeton: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/undergraduate-teaching

OSU is definitely the flagship and admissions has gotten MUCH more competitive, but some still choose Miami for the preppy/sporty vibe, the small town, the larger undergrad to grad ratio or the merit. Or Cincy for co-op/DAAP.

...and yes, Ohio has some very strong public schools, making it tougher for private colleges to compete for Ohio kids. And yet, Ohio supports a lot of LACs - like more than 20. Our instate tuition isn't as awesomely lower for residents as it is in some other states, and no public Us meet full financial need, as far as I know. SO lower income families often do better elsewhere. Or commute to a regional for a year or two then transfer (which is a favored back door into OSU for those who didn't get in as seniors).
  • janjmomjanjmom Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    I know it was mentioned upthread, and yes I am biased (as a parent of a rising junior), but I think everything you are describing points more towards College of Wooster than to Kenyon or Oberlin.
    edited June 19
    @Ohiodad51:
    Well, CWRU's 75-25 percentile ACT's are 33-30 (according to PrepScholar).
    Oberlin's is 32-29.
    Kenyon's is 32-28.
    Denison's is 31-26.

As for alumni achievements, while CRWU trails all three LACs in "American Leaders" produced, CWRU actually bests all 3 LACs in per capita matriculation in to top MBA/med/law programs and trails only Oberlin in per capita PhD's among grads.

And, yes, @homerdog, MiamiU doesn't have the student body of an Ivy but evidently does have the physical campus of one as well as the aforementioned highly-regarded undergraduate instruction.
    The rise in appeal of gigantic OSU and decrease in OH's HS population has affected all the non-OSU OH schools. This is a boon for the rest of us as schools that would not be offering merit money if they were in CA or the Northeast do so because they are in OH and some top-quality programs are easier to get in to.
    edited June 19
    Wooster's 75-25 percentile ACT's are 30-25 and PhD production is above Denison.
    OSU's are 31-27, BTW.

So, yeah, I don't see how anyone can look at the data and say that any 3 LACs are head and shoulders above all other schools in OH.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    edited June 19
    I need to get back to work but . . . . more random fun facts.

Kenyon does draw less from Ohio than Denison, 12.3% vs. 22% Ohio residents in last year's entering class.

And I don't know how old the data from Prep Scholar is, but Denison's most recent 25-75% ACT range is 28-32 and Kenyon's edged up to 29-33.
    edited June 19
    According to Fiske Guide 2017, Kenyon's ACT 25th-75th is 28-32. Oberlin the same. Denison is 26-31

LOL just realized that's the same as @PurpleTitan 's numbers. I just glanced at them and they seemed wrong because I looked at the second number and assumed that was 75th percentile. I need more coffee. :(