Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Were You the ONLY Parent Who Said No?

Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,590 Senior Member
Last night at dinner, after a glass or two of wine, several mothers in my orbit recounted the assorted times they refused to permit their progeny to do something or go somewhere, even when the child angrily protested, “Everybody else is!”

Just as kids can succumb to peer pressure, so too can parents feel coerced into making decisions that challenge their better judgment. From road trips to rock concerts (or road trips TO rock concerts!), there are always going to be endeavors that children and teenagers view as imperatives but that Mom or Dad find unduly risky, although other parents they respect seem to be on board with the plans.

One old friend of mine still talks about the time, a decade ago, when she wouldn’t let her 12th-grade son take an unchaperoned Caribbean spring-break trip with dozens of his prep school classmates. She and her husband saw it as a recipe for disaster and wouldn’t relent, even when the only other hold-out family finally caved in and let their daughter go. The vacationers lived to tell the story and now, when her son occasionally reminds her of all the last-hurrah-of-high-school fun that he missed out on, my friend wonders if she made the right decision. And she also wonders where she found the strength to stick by her guns.

I have another friend in similar straits today, getting the evil eye (and a hefty dose of “Everyone else is allowed ...”) from her 7th-grade daughter over where she can—and can’t— go swimming this summer without a parent present. So far my friend isn’t backing down ... buoyed this week by a total stranger in Trader Joe’s who overheard her, “It’s not safe, and you can’t go there, even if all your friends are going” cell phone conversation with the not-yet-13-year-old. “Good work, Mom!" the stranger chimed in.

So my question for CC parents (and, yes, there is one coming) ... is this:

Do you recall times when you said “No!” to a child even when all the other parents had relented? What was the situation? How did your child react? With hindsight was it the right choice? What advice do you have for other parents who feel that their own “No” is a lone voice in the wilderness?

Replies to: Were You the ONLY Parent Who Said No?

• MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 2,642 Senior Member
    I said no to the 8th grade Washington DC trip, but I wasn't the only one, and there were alternative field trips for the handful of kids who stayed home. I was not impressed by the schedule (too much in too little time), the lack of sleep, the provisions for keeping kids safe, or the parents who "won" the chaperone lottery. I have no regrets and my kids have had much better tours of DC for less money.

Also said no to social dance in 5th grade because I thought it was ridiculous.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,285 Senior Member
    Many times. My daughter wanted to go to a condo at the beach after the prom with a group of her friends and I said no. No adults were going to be there, but one of the parents had rented the condo for the night. No.

She was then asked to the prom by a guy in a different group of friends, and that group was all going to his lake house about 1.5 hours away. His parents were going to be there, and I also knew the family who lived next door and whose daughter was going to have another big group from the prom staying with her so I was comfortable with the amount of adult supervision. I said daughter could go, but couldn't be driven down by the date. Too dark, too late, roads too rural, and I was afraid of deer jumping out in front of the car. I was assured the dad was going to drive the group down, or at least be one of the drivers in the line of cars. Daughter did go and did come home safe.

My kids are very used to me saying no.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 15,090 Senior Member
    No cell phones until they started drivers training and no the the senior trip to Mexico for S3 stick out the most for me and I have no regrets about my ability to say no.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,129 Senior Member
    edited June 25
    The first time I had to be the heavy and say "no" was in grade school. One of the kids who lived near the school in 2nd grade invited S to go to his house with NO adults home. I said no and repeated it whenever a similar situation arose.

In preschool, S was invited to a birthday party. I called the mother of the birthday kid and asked if there would be swimming -- answer: maybe -- and also whether my shy S knew any of the other kids invited (no). I let S make the choice and since he wanted to attend, I asked if I could come since S was not a confident swimmer. The mom said I was over protective but grudgingly said I could attend. There did turn out to be swimming in a huge pool with minimal to no supervision. No effort was made to engage S or help him get to know any of the other guests (who were all older and knew one another).

I also said "No" when there was a class trip to D.C. with a teacher who didn't properly supervise kids here in HI (and ignored S all year)--instead we did a family trip to D.C. which we all enjoyed with my friend and her H and kids.

Our kids are used to my saying no to questionable situations, and I think we're secretly relieved I was willing to be the heavy.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,628 Senior Member
    edited June 25
    Our HS has a special diploma program that requires a group international trip. I had to say no to that because of the cost. D understood, even though most all of her friends did go...and wore that cord at graduation.

Sometimes I was the mom that said yes and sometimes i was the mom that said no. I was never always one or the other. Sometimes, I changed my answer when given new information or plans changed, though not for being asked repeatedly. One time her group of friends planned a camping trip and at first wanted to "just camp in the state forest". I said no, but if they'd reserve a proper site at the official campground in the state park she could. So they made that change.
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 2,642 Senior Member
    @HImom, a preschool party with swimming and only one adult??!! That mother is lucky nothing tragic occurred! Wow.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,129 Senior Member
    She said I need to allow S at 4 years of age to develop "street smarts." To me, you need a LOT of supervision if you're having young kids in or near water and I attended all parties my kids went to with any body of water until they were teens.

S literally knew no one but Birthday girl at the party. The other kids were siblings of kids who were in the Bday girl's older sibbling's sports teams.

I am very careful with kids and water. I have witnessed near drownings and they can happen in fractions of a second--very scary. Fortunately it only resulted in scary dunkings, but still, life is precious.
  • gclsportsgclsports Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    Last week, S who is a rising high school senior was invited to a party with a group of friends from grade school that he still hangs with. It is a pretty tame group of mostly straight and narrow kids. Except for one, who Has a hellraising streak in her, and she had told the other kids she would bring beer. S was upfront about the presence of alcohol when he asked permission to go, but said he didn't intend to drink and that it would be "fine" because the host parents were insisting that everyone spend the night. We said no.

We believed S when he said he didn't intend to drink. But the presence of alcohol at a party for 17 year olds alone, whether or not S planned to drink any of it, was enough for us to say no. S is on academic scholarship and on a sports team at his high school. A pic on social media of him standing next to a kid holding a beer would have been enough, if seen by the wrong person, to lose his scholarship and / or for him to be prohibited from playing on the team. And having 17 year old girls and boys spend the night together, especially if they have been drinking, sounded like a bad idea. Plus given what we know about host parents, we were surprised they would let that happen, which made us question whether they actually knew about the party and or whether they would be home to supervise.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,787 Senior Member
    edited June 25
    "Nos" said in my house -- no game system until high school; no attending the party which another kid bragged about was bringing alcohol to, in 10th grade; no college spring break trip to Florida, Mexico etc; no driving with friends who have had their license less than 1 year. There were many more, but those are some of the flash points I remember.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,114 Senior Member
    Probably the most recent example was a week or two ago. One of my daughter's friends was having a party: everyone goes to the movies, then a sleepover.

I know the parents; it was fine until I asked the name of the movie and its rating.

Once I realized it had an R rating, the answer changed to "You can go to the sleepover after the movie, but you're not seeing something R rated."

As luck would have it, she had an ear infection that night and was home in pain, waiting for the antibiotics to kick in; she missed the whole thing.

But it happens all the time. Sorry, sweetheart, but I'm your mom and we're going with my gut, not your friends or their parents.