Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Reality hitting my rising senior in the face now!

Replies to: Reality hitting my rising senior in the face now!

• maroon79maroon79 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    my son learned the same lesson regarding GPA in high school. Hard to bring up a mediocre freshman gpa. Needless to say he took it to heart and did great his first year in college. Really proud of how he learned that lesson.
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens Registered User Posts: 432 Member
    edited July 13
    @compmom very dramatic reaction to a simple post about the facts of the situation and my own child. I know her and I know her MO - I am a realist and I don't need counseling over it at all. I believe in her and I also believe she thought she could take short cuts and it would be all good. She is in the midst of natural consequences of her own lack of motivation to do her best. 8-|

SHE is the one who wants nursing or PA - she is actually right now at a robust Drexel summer camp program she had to apply to for future medical professionals - was in the operating room and everything. She is also a volunteer on the local ambulance.

Even if she impresses the colleges, we need to be able to afford it - and the GPA is not going to help that. And NO this is yet another kid-- the last one. ACT was for her -- the other one (the 18 year old) is about to leave for college.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    edited July 13
    Sorry, I just don't understand the problem I guess. She sounds very motivated. I think you are fortunate and it sounds like things will work out.
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens Registered User Posts: 432 Member
    @compmom I don't recall calling it a "problem" at any point in this thread - it is a fact that she is now coming to grips with
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    edited July 14
    @yikesyikesyikes I agree with you. A 24 ACT is also above average at most universities (just not most of the universities discussed on CC). There are lots of universities where she would do fine at and be able to pursue her career goals. Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy and Physiology are not going to be that different at most universities. The major difference is going to be the students she'll be taking those courses with. Medical programs that require advanced degrees don't concern themselves with where the student took their classes or frankly what they majored in. If she does well in class and on her GRE or whatever other test they may require (not sure for PA) then no one will really care what her SAT or HS GPA was. She might find her science courses more challenging than someone who aced their APs in HS but it's not about what she's done but what she does.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,174 Senior Member
    Affordability is key. Majors, and interests can still change as well.

Drexel is too expensive, and she would not get enough merit.

If you are in PA, several PASSHE schools have good nursing programs, also some private schools like Gannon, Seton Hill, Chatham, St Francis U.

I believe the same private schools also have PA programs. St Francis has a 3/2 program. They give some merit and need based aid. But she would have to apply asap for best chances!
    Lock Haven also has PA (public).

You can tell her if she really wants this she needs to own it, there is an August SAT date. Have her prep with Khanacademy and do the 8 free Collegeboard SAT practice tests. The SAT is pretty similar to the ACT now, and not quite as fast paced.

The goal is for her undergrad years to not require much in loans, since the PA professional program costs about $50k a year.

Some Penn State branches have the PTA and OTA 2 year program.

But she will have hard classes, how is she doing in science classes now?

She is also going to need patient hours, so she should see if a local nursing home provides free or low cost CNA training.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,174 Senior Member
    https://www.francis.edu/Scholarships-and-Grants/
    https://www.francis.edu/PA-Undergraduate-Admissions/
    https://www.francis.edu/PA-Graduate-Admissions/

^St Francis merit, undergraduate and graduate PA admission facts.

She needs to research minimum GPA and scores needed at these schools to get admitted and possibly get some merit. And apply early.

She can try to get a CNA or similar job asap, to earn patient hours and much needed money.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,097 Senior Member
    edited July 14
    @toomanyteens Been there with DD'16 and am there with DD'18 (don't tell me how bad you want to go to XYZ school, show me how you are going to get there!). It is tough waiting out the "they have to learn it on their own" stage. I thought DD'16 average"ness" would work against her in her bid for direct entry DPT programs. It did not. She earned spots in multiple programs and is keeping her head above water in a program now.

Don't loose faith. I just keep telling myself... if they stumble and fall, they are just going to have to get up, dust off and keep going or pick a new path. So far they keep getting up and moving forward. It is my job, as a parent, to be a good coach. Keep encouraging them to "just do it" and advise them when they need to change the game plan.

Despite what some would say, the reality is that these average kids are competing in a world of CC type phenomenally motivated kids and they are not just competing against those in the USA, globalization makes the field even more packed. Reality is tough.
  • itsvitsv Registered User Posts: 1,325 Senior Member
    I have a student interested in participating programs so I appreciate all the info in this post.
  • RoaringMiceRoaringMice Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    Although her high school GPA may be about where her college GPA is, it also may not be. My college GPA was much higher than my HS GPA, and I went to a "good college". I just had more control over my schedule in college, I was able to have more choice in classes, and - importantly for me - there was less busy work. My college grades were much higher. Hers may be as well.

But basically, you can't know yet, so you'll have to wait and see how she does in college.
  • BingeWatcherBingeWatcher Registered User Posts: 376 Member
    edited July 14
    (HUGS) to you @toomanyteens, I went from GED to NP.
    Not that I would want that for your D.

Personally I would recommend starting in CC with ADN program and doing a bridge to BSN immediately after getting ADN. And take all classes at the CC required for BSN except the actual "bridge" courses.
    I think that would be the cheapest way. Unless she gets enough merit money.

I think the tract to BSN to MSN NP is not near as competitive as PA school, at least where I live.