Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Looking for suggestions - computer science - small schools

13»

Replies to: Looking for suggestions - computer science - small schools

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 61,528 Senior Member
    edited July 17
    OHMomof2 wrote:
    Some schools have *near* open curriculums, Rochester I think?

Not sure why Rochester comes up so often when "open curriculum" is mentioned, since its graduation requirements include a cluster of three courses in each of humanities, social studies, and sciences (a major or minor covers that category).
    MatzoBall wrote:
    Take a look at Grinnell. Open curriculum.

Grinnell effectively has breath requirements, since it limits how many credits for the degree can be in any one department, and how many can be in any one division (humanities, social studies, and science).
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils Registered User Posts: 2,843 Senior Member
    @ucbalumnus

At Rochester, it means that you can take essentially 6 courses with a lot more flexibility to satisfy a core curriculum that is often a lot more restrictive at other places. For someone like the OP, finding an area of some interest should be easier under that system than most others.
  • OttermaOtterma Registered User Posts: 1,009 Senior Member
    Grinnell effectively has breath requirements, since it limits how many credits for the degree can be in any one department, and how many can be in any one division (humanities, social studies, and science).
    OP followed up with information that his son has varied interests, specifically: "It's not that he hates humanities -- he's very musical, for example, and follows politics closely."
    A CS major at Grinnell who loves music and politics will fulfill the breadth requirements easily.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 29,327 Senior Member
    I believe Rochester also has no language requirement which can be very attractive to some who struggle with foreign languages.

Many schools will let AP credits take care of the Gen Ed requirements. I know my son only had to take a writing course (he didn't take AP English) and one history course (He didn't take AP World or Euro). All his other courses were math, physics or CS.
  • MazeArtCrewMazeArtCrew Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    My daughter goes to RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) - it looks large on paper, but does not feel like it. They have a great CS program, and has the benefit of being a co-op school. They have an involved "parents page" on Facebook, and there are numerous postings about the co-op program. My daughter, a designer, is currently on co-op, and has met a software engineer also on co-op from RIT who runs his own business as well. The students graduate with excellent experiences under their belts (because of the co-ops) and I've heard numerous mentions of students going into their senior year after a co-op with a job offer in-hand from that co-op for after graduation

They also have a "Computer Science House" which is a dedicated wing of a dorm, for student rooms/social gatherings. Here is their website: https://www.csh.rit.edu/ RIT focuses on innovation, and has a large design/arts population as well as engineering/computer science population. Every Spring they sponsor a huge "Imagine RIT" event: https://www.rit.edu/imagine/ FYIW, it is a VERY geeky school.
  • alexgrinalexgrin Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    completely agree that Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston is quite good place for studing computer science
13»