Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Do your kids get BOMBARDED with stuff from one particular school?

Replies to: Do your kids get BOMBARDED with stuff from one particular school?

• traveler98traveler98 Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    Curiously, the flood has slowed to a trickle recently even though S18 is now actually ready to apply to college. His test scores are all stellar and he just took SAT subject tests in June, so I expected a lot more mail than he's gotten. For a while it was 3-6 pieces per day, but so far this summer it's more like 3-6 pieces per week.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,940 Senior Member
    edited July 26
    Wash U here...piles of mail...and expensive mail at that.

And my kid didn't have an ice cubes chance in hell of getting accepted there.
  • FinalForFinalFor Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    University of Chicago and Wash U of St. Louis. Their strategy is to get as many students to apply as possible to keep the acceptance rate low. They aren't the only schools to do this but it is sobering to think U of Chicago's acceptance rate was 40% in 2005. Was a fine school in 2005 and is the same fine school today. Only the marketing changed.
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Registered User Posts: 619 Member
    Case Western Reserve. Every week, to both him AND to me, with no indication ever of any returned interest from the future history major!

No harm in it, though.

Overall, it is fun to hear from colleges, even if we recycle some of the hard copies and send some emails to trash. Some of the colleges we have heard from are actually of interest to him, so we'll gladly take the brochures and emails!
  • prof2dadprof2dad Registered User Posts: 638 Member
    Chicago.
  • AbsDadAbsDad Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    @tutumom2001

" (She hasn't even taken the PSAT yet, so I'm sure we'll get even more after that happens.)"

The same here.

Also, my other daughter has started getting stuff from U of Chicago as of last week....

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 30,194 Super Moderator
    Wash U here, too, for oldest son. He was accepted there.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 24,463 Super Moderator
    Looking at you, Chicago. Killer of trees and fun.
    In addition to why my cyber mom already said, JHU and WUSTL
  • PAclgmomPAclgmom Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    These are so funny. The award for daily postcards in the mail for us goes to...St. Bonaventure and Mount Aloysius. I don't even know where these schools are. Awards for the most expensive displays go to Yale (An incredibly boring 100-page book) and everyone's favorite, U of Chicago. She has a 31 ACT, come on.
  • PAclgmomPAclgmom Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    edited July 31
    Deleted
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 24,463 Super Moderator
    St. Bonaventure and Mount Aloysius. I don't even know where these schools are.
    That makes 2 of us. :)
    Awards for the most expensive displays go to Yale (An incredibly boring 100-page book)
    I actually liked the book. although if they had asked, I could have told them to save the postage.
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,404 Senior Member
    edited July 31
    Vanderbilt is the school that bombards us the most. Unlike UChicago, whose materials actually have some thought behind them, Vandy just recycles the same same five mailings over and over and over.
    Awards for the most expensive displays go to Yale (An incredibly boring 100-page book) and everyone's favorite, U of Chicago. She has a 31 ACT, come on.

I was going through the Naviance information for Yale from our high school, and the acceptance rate for kids with a 31 was was higher than for kids with a 36. You never know with holistic schools.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,455 Senior Member
    Tons of literature from U Chicago and Macalester. To be fair, she signed up for Macalester. But U Chicago was relentless. However, she really loved their mailings, and they definitely win a prize for most creative literature. She enjoyed their stuff so much, that she considered applying.
  • pantha33mpantha33m Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    edited August 1
    As noted earlier Vandy and Chicago, but recently Northeastern has made a strong postal push. What's odd is that they keep sending the same material over and over again. What a waste (and/or bad database management).