Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Do your kids get BOMBARDED with stuff from one particular school?

Replies to: Do your kids get BOMBARDED with stuff from one particular school?

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,656 Senior Member
    UChicago has a huge marketing budget and a thirst to catch Yale in the rankings. If your kid gets in, they then switch to swag -- my kid got a couple of t-shirts, a winter scarf, a pizza cutter. Parents ended up with t-shirts, ball caps, pens, and a coffee table book. Probably even more, I just don't remember.
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent Registered User Posts: 213 Junior Member
    Weekly mailings from UChicago, Many from Vanderbilt and Macalester. Tulane as well even got a special pin to use with application. We visited College of Wooster a while back while on an Oberlin visit day. They have been sending emails to me as well as my daughter....interesting that they are targeting parents.
  • gclsportsgclsports Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    Augustana (IL), St. Bonaventure, RPI and Mercer seem to send S18 mailers and email most frequently. Not sure why those in particular, as he has never expressed interest in any of them.
  • 2mrmagoo2mrmagoo Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    Unfortunately DS checked that box on the PSAT that said 'spam me'. He also was inundated, especially from U Chicago. He didn't apply there.
  • Momma2018Momma2018 Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    We have been getting tons of postcards and emails since spring of junior year. Latest is that students from Pace and Hobart have called him (he has never expressed an interest in either one!). I think he checked some box on Naviance that lets them contact him.
  • DiotimaDMDiotimaDM Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    U Chicago. Not only do they send stuff to S about every week, they recently sent a cat-themed postcard to *me.*
  • ScipioScipio Super Moderator Posts: 8,430 Super Moderator
    Univ. of Evansville carpet bombed D1 with brochures, viewbooks, recruitment letters, post cards, etc. They just would not stop. She never expressed any interest in the school and they wouldn't take No! for an answer. More stuff kept coming all summer long. They even sent her stuff after she had started school in the Fall at another college, saying "It's not too late!"
  • exlibris97exlibris97 Registered User Posts: 733 Member
    edited August 11
    UChicago sent the most and I was frankly surprised. It's not as if they are hard up for applicants but their marketing budget must be huge. I also read somewhere on here that they are competing with Columbia to see who can attract the most applicants (Chicago should win given that they out-spam Columbia 3:1). And it continued after acceptance. We got things even after D. said "no". Smith sent quite a bit, and then wrote and said they would hold my D's application for two years in case she changed her mind and wanted to transfer.

• labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    edited August 11
    UChicago...is it seriously necessary to send a mailing every 3 days for months on end? To a kid with a 27 ACT and 4.8 wGPA, that is not even in the running to be admitted? 2 days ago it was a mailing talking about their commitment to breaking down barriers of access to great education (I was thinking about sending it back with a note asking if they were willing to let down their ACT test score barrier and admit my kid!) Today it was a post card with a cat. I swear if they just took the money they spend on their mailings and applied it to world health issues or medical research or some such cause they could probably do some real good in the world.

Tulane, until I complained about their false advertising on CC. It's came to a dead stop after that...hhhhmmm
    :-?
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 8,077 Senior Member
    Tell your kids not so check that box at the testing center. My kids didn't get any mail whatsoever.

The colleges aren't basing these mailings on grades or any knowledge of the kid beyond scores. They want many to apply so they can reject a bigger percentage of applicants and see their selectivity ranking go up.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 1,276 Senior Member
    If the kids don't sign up for the spam, it will be very limited. We get very little. Any that has arrived has been because a kid signed up online at that school, vs from testing spam..
  • SnowflakeDogMomSnowflakeDogMom Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    Yep - we actually joke with DD about her "stalker" schools.
    Univ of Oregon sent her a B-Day card and that got her attention. Reid sends something almost daily and Tulane has taken a liking to her as well as a gazillion others. She is collecting the ones that have given her an offer of a free application
  • amom2girlsamom2girls Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    received the UChicago "cat" mailing last week. I asked and she did not mark the check for college info on her test. She did finally get something from a school she is considering, U of Arizona. She has the correct scores and it has a fantastic BFA.
  • ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp Registered User Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    UChicago is going to keep doing it.

UChicago is at the level where it is competing for top applicants with Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Stanford. Unfortunately, almost every halfway decent high school student in America already knows all about Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, hears about them every day from their parents, teachers, other students, movies, television, and already dreams of going to them. HYP are the three great ancient Ivies, while Stanford is the California dream with high profile athletics to add to its academics. Advertising wouldn't add much for any of them. The whole world advertises them every day.

UChicago isn't an Ivy, doesn't have D1 sports, and what's worse, it has a boring name that doesn't stick in the mind (it should have been named Rockefeller University, but it wasn't). For recognition, all it has is great academics, a beautiful campus, lots of Nobel Prizes - not things which will be known to a high schooler unless someone tells them.

UChicago wants to be on every good student's radar to the same level as those other top schools. It wants top high schoolers to automatically think HYPSMC instead of HYPSM. It wants those top students to hear other students talking about the gothic quadrangles and the gargoyles. It wants their parents to know about the place.

So it needs to keep getting the word out, because every year there is a brand new crop of high schoolers to reach.
  • Broom HildaBroom Hilda Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    University of Chicago - tons and tons of mailings - and my son is not interested, nor ever was.