Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Do your kids get BOMBARDED with stuff from one particular school?

AbsDadAbsDad Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
My one daughter has had AT LEAST 30 letters / cards / brochures, other things come to her from Vanderbuilt. And that is just since January. My daughter has expressed no interest in going there, and in fact just throws it all in the recycle bin....

What I find interesting is that she has a twin with the same GPA, who has never had a single piece of mail come from there.

We even had one letter that was hand signed by someone, though I don't recall who signed it.

The most we have had from any other school is just 3 or 4 items BETWEEN the 2 of them. ( Franklin and Marshall )

Just standard procedure from Vandy? I don't know much about what these things contained as I generally only saw them before they were open.

She will never go there. Probably would turn it down if it was free. I'm just curious.

Replies to: Do your kids get BOMBARDED with stuff from one particular school?

• happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 16,437 Senior Member
    edited July 25
    My D got a ridiculous amount of mailings from UChicago. She wanted a LAC and did not apply. Some colleges just seem to do this. Personally I think sending one mailing is a better way to go -- either the school can make its case and will catch a student's eye or it won't.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    F & M and Dickinson.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 11,997 Senior Member
    Years ago son got weekly (or more) mailings from a school he had zero interest in. Had two paper grocery bags filled with all of the colleges' mailings by the time he left for college to recycle since they got saved in a forgotten pile.
  • bopperbopper Registered User Posts: 7,261 Senior Member
    We lived in Germany while my DD was in the college process and WPI bombarded her even there!
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 5,595 Senior Member
    Johns Hopkins and U Chicago. It became a running joke in my house.
  • amom2girlsamom2girls Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    right now it is UChicago. My daughter is going to pursue a BFA. The worst part is that she has an ACT of 26. Her GPA and class rank are fine, but there is no way she should be getting mailings from them.
  • twobugstwobugs Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    D15 got tons of mail from a school she had no interest in, had never expressed interest in, and wasn't a fit for her at all. They were relentless. The trees that school killed sending mail to my kid! And every bit of it went straight into the recycling bin.
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 Registered User Posts: 3,198 Senior Member
    UChicago here too.

That's interesting from Vandy!
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 935 Member
    DD got multiple mailings from every Ivy league, JHU, Vandy, state colleges, places we never heard of, etc. ..................she was academically qualified for all, but it seemed like a bit much. That is the business colleges are in now a days. They get your address from the testing agencies, you might be able to opt out but I'm not sure.
  • svcamomsvcamom Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    My son has been bombarded by a couple of schools, University of Chicago,Whitenberg University,Case Western and Reed University - weekly ! We see it and it immediately goes into the recycling bin.
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    edited July 26
    Vandy here too. And to make it even more fun ... my neighbor is on some local alumni board or such. Everything the school sends to DD, neighbor sends to me, so we get double. (She hasn't even taken the PSAT yet, so I'm sure we'll get even more after that happens.)
  • traveler98traveler98 Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    Duke leads the pack for tree-killing in our house, starting in ninth grade. S has never expressed any interest in Duke whatsoever.
  • mstompermstomper Registered User Posts: 758 Member
    S18 gets next to nothing. S16 was inundated by several schools even before making NMSF. S18 has a very good, albeit not elite, SAT score. He may be getting a lot of email, though.
  • pantha33mpantha33m Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    Vanderbilt and Chicago. I assume it has something to do with S18's high standardized test scores.