Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How to Get Through Applications Without Screwing Up Parent-Child Relationship?

12346»

Replies to: How to Get Through Applications Without Screwing Up Parent-Child Relationship?

• melvin123melvin123 Registered User Posts: 365 Member
    @northwesty "Boy there's a real opportunity for some top school to corner the market on applications by becoming "essay free."

So I think we've all heard that the vast majority of kids essays are just so-so and don't really contribute much to the process. Although the few that shine, are invaluable in helping the kids.

Anyway, I bet they could charge 3x as much for the app, track "demonstrated interest", ask for a 2 sentence reason "Why X", and get just about the same class they would have gotten anyway. Certainly the # of kids applying to the school would skyrocket.
  • mstompermstomper Registered User Posts: 784 Member
    Our son is definitely capable of an essay that would get someone's attention, but I'm not sure if would be enough to overcome the GPA. For the matches\safeties the only way an essay could hurt him is it be did it intentionally.
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    The thing I am butting heads with S19 over is the ACT test and studying for it. He gets A's with just a couple B+'s in his AP classes, and he studies plenty for them. But for some reason studying for the ACT is torture. It doesn't help that his friends aren't really his academic peers. They will all probably take it once, get the 20 or whatever they need for the directional state, and they are done. We've clashed more about that than anything else the last few months.
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens Registered User Posts: 535 Member
    @dadof4kids many high school age students are under the (mistaken") impression that the ACT SAT don't 'matter'--- maybe some reality check. Also I am not so sure studying is right, but prepping on test strategy and such is a good idea
    He goes in waves about acknowledging how much it matters. Some days I don't think he gets it, others he is freaked out about it. All days he is pretty resentful that 3 hours on a Saturday has such a disproportionate effect on his future. I agree, but can't change the rules.

He is getting a lot of athletic recruiting attention, but most of it is from places that want to see scores in the 27-30+ range depending on the school. So it's a bit more extreme in his case probably than in some others. Get a 27, you can (maybe) be in the Ivy League. Get a 25, and you are at the directional state U. There is less of a gradual drop of where he will be able to go.
    @dadof4kids Can I just say that a prep class can be worth the money? It gives them classroom like structure with homework and all. My kids did much better with it than just go study.
    edited September 13
    Probably good advice @toomanyteens. My issue has been that his schedule hasn't worked with the prep class offered locally. He has been using prepscholar online, because then he can do it on his schedule. Unfortunately, he seems to always have something more pressing to do today, he will get to it tomorrow. If he doesn't do as well as he needs to, we may have to do the live class for next time.

He took the test in Sept, so I guess in a couple of weeks we will see if he was able to BS his way through it. He will take it again twice in April, and then June and July if he has to (which for the sake of our relationship I hope he doesn't). April is when our school administers it as part of state testing, so he will sign up for the regular test and then take it 2X within 2 weeks. He is pretty consistent on English and Math practice tests, but all over the place on Reading and Science, so having a few stabs at it may make a difference.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 648 Member
    I think D is done with testing. H surprised us by asking when she was planning on taking the SAT again. He usually just listens to college discussions. I said I was hoping D's score from the August test would go up just enough so she wouldn't have to take it again because she really doesn't have time to prepare. D agreed she wouldn't have time. At least we are on the same page.

The summer was the time to prep, and she ended up working two jobs and attending two camps. All great experiences but no time to prep.

Oh well. It is what it is. The reality is, the best deal will be at an instate public, exactly what it would have been if she had taken the SAT just once. At least now, she'll get very decent merit and likely admission to honors programs.
  • melvin123melvin123 Registered User Posts: 365 Member
    @MACmiracle that still sounds great!
  • KLSDKLSD Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    The best prep for SAT/ACT is lots of rest, a clear mind and knowledge that if you stay focused for 3+ hours and pay attention of all of the details including the ridiculous questions about specifics in each reading passages, you will likely never need to take such a generalized standardized test again. Focus!

Unfortunately, this generation has been taking standardized tests since elementary school (for the benefit of the school district), so they should be proficient at the mechanics and time management for test taking. College will have may exams but they will be subject based and mostly on topics are children are passionate about.

My oldest 2 children say, "Studying for the SAT is ridiculous, read a book instead, you might actually learn something."
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 2,637 Senior Member
    "@dadof4kids Can I just say that a prep class can be worth the money? It gives them classroom like structure with homework and all. My kids did much better with it than just go study. "

OMG yes!!!

The most valuably and impactful thing I did for my three kids was to hire outside ACT prep. First, outsourcing it means it gets done. Second, adding two or three points to your ACT scores just totally game changes where the kids got in and how much merit money they got.

Although fall of senior year is not a great time to do it. Summer between JR and SR year worked for us.
    @northwesty my daughter just finished it - and took the test again. She used late summer for it.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,163 Senior Member
    This is an interesting topic. My D2 is done with all tests before Senior year started and has been working on the application since last month while I was away from home for a few weeks. When I was back, I found she have picked several reach schools in CommonApp to apply. She is emotional very sensitive that I have to be extremely careful in explaining the application process to her. First, I showed her the NPC of each school and eliminated one OOS school from the list. Then she added another private reach school from that area as she has a friend living there. She does have the stat for those reach school but I also know the chance for admission at those schools are pretty low anyway. We already have a very good in-state flagship that is almost a safety for her. So I am not so worry about those reach schools. I just set a budget for her so she can apply to 5-6 schools. Anything above the budget would be on her own. I kind of know the outcome already and have a backup plan which is not likely needed. I just let her go through the application process for those reach schools for the excitement of college applications.
12346»