Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Overenrolled Colleges

Replies to: Overenrolled Colleges

• JustGraduateJustGraduate Registered User Posts: 633 Member
    @TTG re: source for VT over enrollment.... lots of articles in Roanoke Times and College Times (VT newspaper) about size of freshman class.
    Here's one example http://www.roanoke.com/news/education/higher_education/virginia_tech/virginia-tech-sets-budget-at-billion-largest-incoming-class-expected/article_76cc7fec-2023-5896-8f35-fbfc20b6ad25.html
  • boudersbouders Registered User Posts: 1,725 Senior Member
    Do you have a source for the Canadian schools?
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 487 Member
  • NJFabFourNJFabFour Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    I don't know official numbers but my rising sophomore at Northeastern is one of many upperclassmen still not assigned housing and the fb group has had several posts from parents of incoming freshmen in the same predicament. The university sent an email boasting about a new building with apartment-style units they have just secured but it is a 30 minute train ride away from campus! - clearly a sign that they are taking drastic measures to accommodate an over-enrollment.
  • dadoftwingirlsdadoftwingirls Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    Colorado School of Mines is over enrolled. The school is already short housing for all the students. My daughter and her room mate will be a sophomores and they will be getting a frosh in their double now triple.

Get a discount on the room. Will see how it goes.
  • SeeksKnowledgeSeeksKnowledge Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    My sophomore daughters school is over enrolled too. She was all in a tizzy her double could have a third student placed in it. Luckily it's still a double so she was spared.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,661 Senior Member
    edited July 31
    Holy Cross is over enrolled with about 800 incoming freshmen. The target is usually closer to 750.
  • hbh2017hbh2017 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    The University of South Carolina has placed some of their freshmen in nearby apartments because they did not have enough housing for all freshmen.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,094 Senior Member
    It seems like more and more students are continuing to crowd into top schools every year.
  • IvytIvyt Registered User Posts: 3,529 Senior Member
    I do not know if it is due to over-enrollment but my daughter tells me Rice is offering free room/board to students in doubles who agree to triple up.
    lol when i was there they stuck me in a quad and still charged full housing price
  • DolemiteDolemite Registered User Posts: 1,476 Senior Member
    Drexel University expected about 2400 students for the incoming class and got 3500 acceptances. With summer melt they were expecting 3100ish to come. They had a dorm they shuttered last year and were deciding what to do with it - maybe turn in it into administrative space so now they can just re-open it as a dorm. Not sure if that will be enough.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 937 Member
    Yes top schools are getting inundated and yield is increasing on all of them to historical highs.
  • JustGraduateJustGraduate Registered User Posts: 633 Member
    Am hearing VT will be discounting room rates for those staying in lounges converted to dorms, and maybe for doubles turned into triples. They are also putting roommates in with RA's which is not typically done. Have heard 20% mentioned as the discount and a lot of sophomores staying on in dorms are quite happy to take the deal. Have not seen this in writing but getting info from someone who should know