Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Overenrolled Colleges

12345679»

Replies to: Overenrolled Colleges

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 60,928 Senior Member
    ChoatieMom wrote:
    Anyway, on the subject the subject of overenrollment, there is a raging discussion on the (non-CC) service academy forum about the ethics and morality of academy appointees putting down deposits and holding on to acceptances from their "plan B" colleges until they get through summer basic training in the event of either a medical turnback or deciding that the military isn't for them. (Basic training ends in plenty of time to proceed with plan B if necessary.).

Around here, it is generally considered unethical to matriculate to more than one selective college at the same time (not limited to service academies).
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    edited August 13
    A student can only matriculate to one college. ;) Also, because the academies are free, there is no double-deposit. And, unlike civilian colleges, academy apppointees DO get hurt and/or get medical turnbacks during basic training and absolutely need that fallback. The academy admissions process emphasizes having that plan B, but there are still people who aren't OK with that. And that's fine; no one is forcing their child to hold on to a plan B. However, every year on that forum, there are stories of kids who don't finish basic training and have nowhere to go that year.
  • dadoftwingirlsdadoftwingirls Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    "and have nowwhere to go that year." There is always community college.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 508 Member
    If a student meets the criteria to get into an academy, they will have good opportunities for merit elsewhere. If the go to CC, they will lose the chance for good merit. For many kids, this would affect their ability to afford college.

I heard of an ROTC scholarship recipient who lost his scholarship at the last minute for a medical reason. It's tricky because the medical test are the last step. And then you might have to get a waiver that's decided on a case by case basis. It's a tough position for a kid to be in.

My D had been interested in the AF ROTC, but she has a medical history. She could go through the application process, be accepted, enroll in a college we couldn't afford without the scholarship, and then be told she didn't receive a medical waiver. I have very mixed feeling about her taking that path without a good plan B.

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 60,928 Senior Member
    Since the other colleges presumably do not like the idea of someone committing to two colleges at the same time, do they make exceptions for when the other college is a service academy?
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 9,943 Senior Member
    @ucbalumnus: They may not like it, but they also know it happens.

It's not like colleges are unaware of and can not deal with summer melt.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 1,531 Senior Member
    @MACmiracle - My son has a friend who was discovered to have color blindness during the ROTC screening process. It was apparently so mild that it was never an issue as he grew up but he failed the detailed testing and was kicked out of the running. He's adopted so his mom said that at least she and her H weren't blaming each other for it! He had advanced pretty far in the process as he is truly a brilliant young man and an Eagle Scout.

I hadn't really thought about what @ChoatieMom said about cadets/plebes, etc. needing a backup plan, but it makes tremendous sense to me on consideration. These young people are ready and willing to serve our country and then something makes that unworkable, why should they lose a year - they already lose their deposit if they stay in service.