Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Anyone else feel like it's time to tell expensive colleges "ENOUGH!" (CC Newbie Rant)

Replies to: Anyone else feel like it's time to tell expensive colleges "ENOUGH!" (CC Newbie Rant)

• BurgermeisterBurgermeister Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    I guess won the financial aid lottery. Fifteen years ago I figured on in-state public colleges only. Then S1 got high test scores and I learned about merit aid. I negotiated and said that I just wanted them to be equal to our in-state university.. Bingo. Then came colleges that that met 100% of need met. I no longer pay tuition. Gotta findyour path. A middle class guy can do this. No NYU. No out-of-state public schools. Take the SAT/ACT umteen times ... that's all the merit aid schools care about.
  • Sportsman88Sportsman88 Registered User Posts: 1,460 Senior Member
    edited August 6
    @twoinanddone that works for the costs betweeen various schools in LA, Bay Area, NYC, Boston, etc. as high cost living expenses. What about schools in Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, or rural schools. The cost of living in New Orleans for a Tulane prof is far less than Cambridge, Palo Alto, or LA.

Increased overhead, compliance, and student expectations on advising, gyms, etc. is part of it but I'm not sure it's $65,000 per year worth.

But now we're rehashing old issues - not that there is anything wrong with that. That's why we have discussions.
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    What happened to flying a freakin kite or riding your bike around the neighborhood until the street lights came on? Getting your license and cruising during the weekend all night with your friends? You remember, wasting time to a point you were actually ready to go back to school at the end of summer?

The 2+ month summer vacation is mostly unique to the US. Most international students and my immigrant parents/older relatives find it surprising US K-12 students have such long summer vacations. Not to mention the factor that some countries have/used to have school more than 5 days a week.

My parents/older relatives had longer school days(School days started ~7-8am and went till 5 pm and had )to attend classes on saturdays in their country of origin in addition to monday-friday when they were doing K-12 though the latter was done away with sometime in the late '60s or early '70s.

Also, a lot of American kids didn't have the chance to do most of those leisurely activities during K-12 because we didn't have the money and needed to spend the free summer months and afterschool/weekend working summer/part-time jobs to contribute to the family till.

The only kids in my old NYC neighborhood who stayed out playing outside till the street lights came on were those who were getting a head start in joining the local drug gangs or otherwise up to no good. Most of them ended up dropping out of HS with criminal records.

A few are still serving long sentences in prison after being convicted of multiple felonies. Most neighbors with aspirations of their kids to even graduate HS did their utmost to discourage them from playing outside....especially with the kids who did so on a regular basis.

Your post definitely helps the thread move in the direction you intended. Yes, I think people continuing to pay is part of the problem. There are a couple Christian colleges in the region that are around $40,000 but still not cheap by any definition. I'm referring to Azusa and Grand Canyon. Haven't looked at them lately to know exact costs.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,544 Senior Member
    I think some of the schools that are in lower cost of living areas do have COA at closer to $40k than $50k, but some costs are just fixed and they aren't going to be cheaper if you are in Appleton, WI or in San Diego.

My daughter's tuition has gone up a steady $2000 each year, including the first year (so we started at $2k more than when we looked at the school). Everyone wants a raise every year, professors want to make more, have more research paid for, more grad student helpers, more travel to conferences, etc. Someone's got to pay, and at schools without big endowments, it's tuition that pays those bills.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 9,999 Senior Member
    edited August 6
    The "average colleges", on average, don't charge anywhere near list price on net because they tend to be generous with discounts (merit scholarships to a large extent, but also possibly fin aid). But merit money would be more likely to go to applicants in the top quarter or half.

Their business model is to charge higher-stats/more desirable kids less to get them so that they appear respectable in the rankings and subsidize with kids with lesser stats/desirability paying more for the privilege of studying there.

If expenditures are a concern, CC is a cheaper and well-trodden path in CA to UC publics.

• rwmannesqrwmannesq Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    @cobrat: I appreciate the post. My wife actually did her elementary schooling in Nicaragua, which is significantly different than what I undertook, too. I'm not raising my kids in nearly the challenging situation you mention and certainly not satisfied that anyone has to live like that. Best to you.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,153 Senior Member
    I don't know if parents are to blame but there is certainly one category of people you can't blame: the students. Money talks and students don't have that kind of money. If "they" do, it's their parents' money.

And honestly, I've never actually met a student who wants a rock wall or whatever. But maybe that's selection bias since I went to public universities.
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    And honestly, I've never actually met a student who wants a rock wall or whatever. But maybe that's selection bias since I went to public universities.

All those high-end amenities are a form of marketing to the parents and to a lesser extent...students by private schools in a manner little different from how vacation resorts/hotels market their services.
  • TanbikoTanbiko Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    Just checked - my son's lowly public university does have a fancy rock climbing wall while my daughter's fancy private does not have such a wall. Go figure.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 24,162 Senior Member
    Don't forget that schools like LMU offer merit aid. Indeed, approximately 25% of the students in last years class received some. 147 students had their financial need fully met. Average grant was $20k.

So, not everyone pays sticker.
    We can't let students off the hook. Now it's not all students or all parents but how many threads do we read on here from student's complaining their parents will only pay for State U and not NYU, etc.?