Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Summer jobs rant . . .

13»

Replies to: Summer jobs rant . . .

• NoVADad99NoVADad99 Registered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    This is why I respect people who work those jobs. I know how much crap they have to take for the lousy pay, so I always try to be friendly and tip nicely.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,153 Senior Member
    Was thinking abut this thread last night...

My roommate and I went to a (chain) restaurant last night. They happened to have a TON of parties and were short-staffed and were just slammed. The waitress was immediately upfront with us about everything. It was fine, we weren't in a rush.

I couldn't (ok, I could) believe some of the comments lobbed at this poor waitress. Nothing was her fault and she didn't stop once.

We tipped even better than normal (and we tip well as it is). I really wanted to snap at the other customers but I'm too much of a chicken. :(
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,544 Senior Member
    I hate the whole "You're going to college so you don't have to do this job" attitude.

It's not an attitude that it's okay to treat retail or service workers that way. We didn't want to work those jobs for a career, and we want our kids to have a choice too when they graduate from college. Some will choose retail or sales, or owning a restaurant, but most will choose professional jobs.

I started working at 13 and I think I've done every office job from mailroom to VP. I think I treat those who are in the jobs I have had much better than some who started at the top. I took into consideration how my secretary liked to work (get everything done early, leave on time) much more than the others who thought nothing of leaving a stack of typing for her late in the day. If a phone was ringing, I picked it up. Coming back from the mailroom, bring the faxes and save the secretary a trip. Doesn't mean I ever want to go back to working in the mailroom or that I think less of those who do.

I've been working across the street from a McD's that is also the 'headquarters' for a lot of homeless people. It's convenient for me to grab and iced coffee or snack. I am so impressed with the owner and the workers who are always kind to the homeless, who let them inside when it is cold, who treat them with as much respect as they can. They have rules, they do not give out free food or refills, they do not allow pets or shopping carts inside, but they do help them out if they can. It would be so much nicer for me if those homeless weren't allowed inside, but it's not all about me, is it? I can buy what I need and take it to my office. The workers are always very nice to me too.
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    My daughter teaches swim lessons and some of the parents are a nightmare. She loves the kids though. One mom told her that she expected her preschool aged son (who was afraid to put his face in the water) to be swimming across the pool after 2 weeks of half hour a day lessons or she wanted her money back.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 3,552 Senior Member
    edited August 12
    The irate parent was not arguing whether or not Minute Maid makes apple juice but that the product produced by MM does not qualify as apple juice by her "refined" palate.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 8,088 Senior Member
    Exactly^^
    Especially at such a refined establishment like that snack bar!
  • ChowdyCatChowdyCat Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    DS worked as a youth volunteer at the zoo during high school. They had a week of training for all the youth volunteers at the beginning of each summer. Can't quite recall but at least a half a day or maybe a full day of that training was set aside for "customer relations training". Much of that was how to handle problem customers, defuse issues and at what point to escalate to management. So happy that zoo management was proactive about this.
13»