Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

My Mom thinks I ruined my life

Replies to: My Mom thinks I ruined my life

• compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 7,849 Senior Member
    edited August 10
    Your ACT is fine, more than fine. Your subject tests are fine too.

Test scores don't get you in anyway, they just help put you in a group for consideration. A person with a 760 doesn't have a better chance than someone with a 730. Your mom doesn't understand how admissions works.

Your other interests, talents and activities - and you listed some interesting ones- will make more of a difference than raising a score.

By all mean apply to some dream schools, one via EA if you like, but be prepared not to get in just because of the number of applicants. You alrea.dy have a shot. And apply to the U. of NM. But also look into colleges between the two, so to speak. I always suggest the website for Colleges that Change Lives.

Are your parents the kind who think top tier or nothing? Is it cultural? What is their background? Maye your guidance counselor can educate them.

You cannot really suggest counseling to your mom, so next best is to see someone else in order to get help dealing with her.

• HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 28,945 Senior Member
    If I were your parent, I agree with post #45. I think your mom is upset that you didn't follow through on your agreement and is concerned that this does not bode well for the future when you are further away and likely to listen less and act more as you choose. You and your folks need to sit down and figure out these aspects of your future.
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,121 Senior Member
    edited August 10
    @mocktrialer5 download the practice stuff from khan and tell her you just didn't want to waste $. Then at least look like you are studying nonstop.

She'll get over being mad. If not, there are places outside NM you can go nearly free.
  • raclutraclut Registered User Posts: 2,914 Senior Member
    OP, @JHS and @Himom focused on your mom's true concerns. She wants to see you making good decisions for yourself while you are at home because when you go to college you will be 100% accountable for your actions. In her eyes seeing you studying during the summer for the SAT would have showed your dedication to your future goals. Taking it for a 2nd time is not unreasonable. Time management is an important skill to have in college. Procrastination to complete assignments or prepare for tests in college can lead to less than desirable outcomes.

As posters we don't have full knowledge of the whole scenario at home to make a judgement on anybody. There are always two versions of the scenario. (parents vs. student)
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 28,945 Senior Member
    My biggest concern as a parent was not any particular number my kids scored or grade they obtained but whether they followed through on commitments, especially things that we had agreed upon. It's really important to show that when YOU make an agreement with mom or anyone, YOU will honor it and not conveniently "forget" or neglect to do what YOU promise. That will matter in life and the sooner you start showing you understand and will do what you promise, the better things will go for you and all who love you.
  • yikesyikesyikesyikesyikesyikes Registered User Posts: 1,447 Senior Member
    edited August 10
    34 ACT is great - just use that. As long as you are proactive with your applications, I think you will have some great choices come winter/spring.
  • glidoglido Registered User Posts: 5,618 Senior Member
    A 1470 is a really good score, but if you want to appease your mom, you have enough time to get back up to speed. You do not need the books if you go on Khan Academy. You will get into plenty of good schools. Best of Luck.
  • YonceKnowlesYonceKnowles Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    Why are people saying OP should buckle down and study for two weeks? Or move the test date? I don't think it's worth for OP to take the SAT period. They already have a 34. OP should be focusing on crafting as best of an essay as possible and getting excellent recs.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 60,928 Senior Member
    edited August 10
    Re: #53

From an outside observer point of view, more standardized test prep is likely of low value (and concentrating on the SAT is of even lower value than concentrating on the ACT since the OP already has a higher ACT than SAT), but it seems like the real problem is the OP's relationship with his/her mother, with the SAT prep and retake argument being the symptom of a strained relationship (it looks like neither the OP nor his/her mother previously realized that concentrating on the SAT is the lowest value activity that the OP can do to improve college admission prospects).
  • mocktrialer5mocktrialer5 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    @mamaedefamilia My school is a top 20 prep school in the nation; I have taken 6 APs and 4 more this year
  • NashvilletoTexasNashvilletoTexas Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    I will cast my vote in with buckling down and studying hard for the SAT for the next 2 weeks. I say this for two reasons:
    1) Most importantly, you did fail to follow through, and this shows your repentance (admitting fault combined with taking action to repair). That seems to be key at this point
    2) 1470 is good, but if you didn't prepare you can likely do better. Despite the fact that a 1470 is good, a 1570 is better and WILL make a difference for elite schools and merit. It can't hurt to try, and it sounds like you have the capability for it.

Work hard, good luck, and talk about schools again AFTER preparing and taking the SATs. Nothing to be gained by addressing it with them before then, so let it cool and focus on your next step!
  • mocktrialer5mocktrialer5 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Everyone, I do have a very strained relationship with my mother that stemmed from me playing video games a lot during my sophomore you and getting a few Bs because of it. I know I need to try and repair this relationship and will work hard in this upcoming year to do so. Thank you all for your feedback! @ucbalumnus @YonceKnowles @HImom @glido @yikesyikesyikes @raclut @HRSMom @compmom @LoveTheBard @JHS @gardenstategal @dadof4kids @shortnuke @bjkmom @billcsho @Empireapple
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,121 Senior Member
    I just want you to know two things:

1) all teenaged boys overdo the video game thing sometimes. And sometimes get Bs. It's normal,

and

2). You have not even remotely ruined your life.

Just let it blow over and talk to your dad.
  • riverbirchriverbirch Registered User Posts: 633 Member
    Your mother is being over dramatic and you will be fine wherever you end up. None of my kids studied for the ACT and with a 34 you are in the top scorers in the country. Not sure if you will improve on it even with studying. Congrats on a great score!!
  • riverbirchriverbirch Registered User Posts: 633 Member
    You are in the 99th percentile out of the 1.84 million who took the ACT.