Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Eclipse at high school

3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 4,383 Senior Member
The eclipse will happen on first day back in high school, only partial here about 65% but still significant. I just got an email about how the school will handle it.
To facilitate this special day students will have 38 minute classes for periods 1-5. During 6th period, between 12:50 and 1:15, all student will go to the football stadium to participate in the viewing party. Local tv meteorologist will address students via the jumbotron to highlight the significance of this eclipse, and our very own band, Cheer squad and dancers will provide entertainment for the event.

XXXX high school will provide eclipse viewing glasses to all students and teachers followed by a 10 minute safety presentation prior to attending the event.

I'm so glad the school is doing this! It should be a very memorable first day of school!

Replies to: Eclipse at high school

• bearcatfanbearcatfan Registered User Posts: 632 Member
    That's wonderful!

Unfortunately, here the timing is such that the height of it is 10 minutes before dismissal so I can rightly see the school not letting kids out to view it. That's too bad. We will see it at about 85 percent.

If only my daughter had her advanced physics class last period ...... he would likely make it a requirement to go outside and view it. :-)
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    bearcatfan--The school won't have to LET the kids out--they'll just leave class early. Probably following the teacher on her way out the door.
  • TribruinTribruin Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Our district is requiring any teacher that wants to take their class outside to take a training course (in person or online) and requiring permission slips for any student that wants to go outside. All other outside activity will be moved in doors during the eclipse.

When I write this, I think is sounds bad, but I guess it makes sense. The district doesn't want students to damage their eyes.
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 Registered User Posts: 526 Member
    School hasn't started here, but I do know that last spring the science department was recommended for a PTA grant to buy glasses for every student. We have 3,000 kids. Should be interesting. (I don't remember how much of it we get to see, but it's in the 90s.)
  • stardustmomstardustmom Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Eclipse glasses are very cheap and can be purchased in bulk on Amazon or through other retailers. I would be extremely disappointed in my son's school if they did not seize the opportunity to teach student's about eclipse phenomena and just carried on with regular classes. What a waste of a learning experience! I can remember looking at projections of an eclipse through a pinhole cast on the ground when I was in elementary school. No glasses and no one suffered eye damage. We just did not look up.

• atomomatomom Registered User Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    Very close to totality here. (99.5%?) H happens to be off work. If the weather is good we'll take kids out of school and drive to a better location for viewing . I'm really surprised our district hasn't called a "snow day" -- They did when our team won the World Series ( which could potentially happen more than once in a lifetime ...)
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 Registered User Posts: 526 Member
    My daughter is going to be in pre-cal during the eclipse, so I think that's a class where the teacher will surely let them out to watch it.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 30,999 Super Moderator
    There will be another eclipse in April, 2024, and that time it will be a full one in Maine. :)
  • apraxiamomapraxiamom Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    Our district cancelled schools.
  • Yankee BelleYankee Belle Registered User Posts: 737 Member
    Our schools are cancelled, too
  • cnp55cnp55 Registered User Posts: 3,706 Senior Member
    My son started a new job in July. He asked his supervisor if he could possibly get the day off to go with his roommates to one's home that's within the totality path. The supervisor said -- this is once in a lifetime. You absolutely have to go.
  • droppeditdroppedit Registered User Posts: 673 Member
    Our district is delaying release by 40 minutes so that everyone will still be in school during the eclipse (the eclipse would have happened during the ES transportation period). Every school is having outside events, viewing glasses, snacks, etc. We're in the 98.5% obscuration path.

We were/are planning on taking D18 out of HS for a Clemson tour on that day (it's basically on the centerline of totality). Clemson sent email saying that they expect a big mess of traffic there and that there will be significant delays/issues.
  • WellspringWellspring Registered User Posts: 997 Member
    I'd encourage my kid to skip school if the school were in the eclipse path and chose not to facilitate viewing.
  • stardustmomstardustmom Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    My older son will be missing the first day of college classes (he's a junior) so he can travel with us to see the total eclipse. He was reluctant at first, but now realizes how unique the event is. Fortunately, my other son's high school doesn't start for another week, so he won't have an issue.
  • apraxiamomapraxiamom Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    It's now scheduled to rain on eclipse day. 60% chance.