Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Investing Short-Term When Stocks Hit Records? Imagine a Painful Drop (re college funds)

oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
How much money should you have in stocks in your 529 or down payment account when stocks are so high? Ask yourself some tough questions to figure it out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/your-money/asset-allocation/investing-short-term-when-stocks-are-high-imagine-a-painful-drop.html

Replies to: Investing Short-Term When Stocks Hit Records? Imagine a Painful Drop (re college funds)

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,033 Senior Member
    One's time horizon should always be a factor when making investment decisions.
  • snarlatronsnarlatron Registered User Posts: 1,519 Senior Member
    I'm just trusting the age-based asset allocations for my 529s. Market cannot be timed or predicted so that's just the best I can do!
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,548 Senior Member
    Generally better to buy in at record lows than highs. Right now--I'd be very careful. Take chips home and be happy if you got in at 10,000 or so.