Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Triple room survival skills

Replies to: Triple room survival skills

• TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 872 Member
    How can they have just one ladder? Someone could fall trying to get out is one of the roommates moves the ladder from its last position. Can they easily climb down the bed frame like a ladder ?
  • Marcie123Marcie123 Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    My D was in a very small forced triple last year. Three beds, each in the middle of one wall. Two desks in the middle of the room so no floor space. Two small closets. They made it work. When the parents all saw the room, after our initial shock at the size, we all tried to help. There was one corner of the room where some plastic bins would fit. My H went to target and bought them. We also bought a full length mirror that opened to a storage space. One of the girls got a very skinny shelving unit and put her shoes there. They utilized every inch of space and shared items that they didn't need multiple of. For example, one of their bins held their tampons and they took turns buying them. Fortunately they all did their part and made the space issue work.

They also made a roommate contract early in the year. They included things like, if someone was doing hw after a certain time they would go to the common lounge, if someone got a phone call while others were doing hw, they would take the call outside. My younger D went to visit for a weekend and one of the roommates slept in a friend's room in an extra bed.

The only issue was that my D likes the room cold and one liked it warm so they would always change the temp when the other was out of the room. But they were both too passive and nice to say anything to the other one so they did this all year. So not really an issue.
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 2,864 Senior Member
    My daughter requested a double, expected a triple nonetheless, and ended up in a one room quad her freshman year. It was cozy crowed to say the least. She had a corner for her wardrobe, desk, and dresser and was on a top bunk. She had half a bed of underbed storage. We felt like she was shoehorned in the room, but the four of them made it work. Not perfect, but it was fine.
  • melvin123melvin123 Registered User Posts: 363 Member
    Definitely demand the bunk rails, in writing. A HS classmate of mine rolled off hers, broke both arms and her nose. She was lucky.
  • stardustmomstardustmom Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Asked my son about rails since he had a triple with loft last year. He scoffed at the suggestion and said that no one on his floor ever fell out of their loft. That's not to say it won't happen, particularly if there's drinking involved.
  • cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,267 Senior Member
    I thought it was strange that there is only one ladder... But yes, they can climb up and down the frame at the bottom end of the bed. Does not appear to be easy, though... And there is very little space between the bottom end of her bed and her wardrobe. Hopefully they can request a ladder for each...
  • PNWedwonkPNWedwonk Registered User Posts: 418 Member
    It will probably work out fine, but, just in case: Depending on your D's personality, encourage her to pay attention to her own, and/or her roomies' emotional and social needs. D16 was in a quad for the first half of her first year. Physical space was not really a problem (converted lounge), but four young women in one room was very stressful for the introverts (especially mine who tried to be "nice" and "social.") They had a contract, but it was left to the four of them to enforce it. You can imagine how that worked for the ones who weren't dominant types. I wish I had checked in with the RA before I left. D barely saw her and didn't want to be the problem. The whole thing imploded in late October and had lasting repercussions for D.

Re setting up the room: there are on line programs like https://roomstyler.com/3dplanner where roomies can try out different configurations (if they have the room and furniture dimensions.) D spent a month playing with it and her roomies loved her proposal and went with it.
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 437 Member
    For what colleges are charging, forced triples in double rooms should not be allowed. The video falling out of lofted beds is horrifying. The schools should be legally forced to take safety measures at the very least.
  • runswimyogarunswimyoga Registered User Posts: 914 Member
    edited August 16
    @denimom - You will have to check with your daughter's individual school as some schools provide them and some don't. After we petitioned my older son's school they are providing them this year. YAY!

At the very least, by requesting them (bed rails) and sharing your concern (that a lofted bed may not be safe) you have put the school on notice regarding safety concerns (they are placing your student in a possibly unsafe situation that you tried to mitigate) and they may be held legally responsible for it if something were to happen. I know many consumer product safety commissions have declared them a must for college dorm bed safety. We papered the res life office with these studies - so the school had no outs for declaring the lofted bad as safe

I think you can purchase them online? But Im not sure...
  • riverbirchriverbirch Registered User Posts: 637 Member
    I was assigned to one my sophomore year due to over enrollment and moved into an apt with a friend from my dorm after fall semester. So if she chooses to stay I'm sure others will do the the skedaddle and rooms will open up. She should let housing know that she wants to be in a double and is willing to move if a spot opens up. 3 in a room is a lot to deal with and probably harder now with most kids never having shared a room with a sibling.
  • GrainraiserGrainraiser Registered User Posts: 379 Member
    Wow i'm in Texas and I have been in lots of dorms in this state. I have never ever seen a single quad dorm room. I bet it is much easier for guys to make it work than women.
  • cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,267 Senior Member
    We saw a single quad room on a college tour last year. There was about 3 square feet of open floor space and the rest was piled with stuff because there was just nowhere for the girls to store their belongings. It was awful, from my perspective... If it were me, it'd be a deal breaker, but my kid was not fazed by it... She's lived with a roommate in a couple of small rooms at boarding school. We were both relieved, though, when she ended up in a triple rather than a quad.
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 349 Member
    I had friends who asked me, in all seriousness, "Well, why didn't your D request a double?" Gee, she never though tof that (smacks head). There is what you request, and what you get. Those two were NOT the same things last year. This year, she got her first choice. The fickle finger of fate...
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,709 Senior Member
    Both of my sons were in triples their freshman years. It worked out fine!! Older son was in a real triple, but it was not huge. Just a square room. Their beds were all lofted to skyscraper heights and I was sure someone would fall out. I asked about it regularly. Younger son was in a forced triple. It was a more oblong room. Beds were only lofted above dressers. It seemed as if the forced triple was actually bigger than the real triple his brother had (different schools.) Everyone got along great. Older son ended up rooming with one of the first year roommates all 4 years. Younger son is not rooming next year with roommates from last year but they are all on good terms despite differences in interests and politics.