Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Schools for my Quirky, Nerdy Kid?

12346»

Replies to: Schools for my Quirky, Nerdy Kid?

• Garden MomGarden Mom Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    My son is also a bit quirky and a math / science nerd. He's attended a smallish magnet school all his life (graduating class is 125) and we assumed he'd want to attend a smallish college. We visited several with 1500 - 2500 students, small classes, etc. We also toured a couple of huge schools. He hated every one of them. He found his groove at 2 different mid size schools - Univ of AL Huntsville and Southern IL Univ.
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 Registered User Posts: 2,958 Senior Member
    She should take a look at Bard and Hampshire--two small LACs with flexible/nontraditional curriculums. Hampshire is part of the Five College consortium, which would also allow her to enroll in courses at UMass, Amherst, Smith, and Mount Holyoke.
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,277 Senior Member
    She should take a look at Bard and Hampshire--two small LACs with flexible/nontraditional curriculums. Hampshire is part of the Five College consortium, which would also allow her to enroll in courses at UMass, Amherst, Smith, and Mount Holyoke.

Neither Bard or Hampshire are known for having strong math/STEM programs.

In fact, when some younger friends with strong STEM major aspirations asked alum friends who attended those two LACs, they recommended against doing so and instead to apply to other LACs with stronger STEM programs(i.e. Smith(Also has engineering), Oberlin, St. Olaf, Carleton, Williams, Bryn Mayr, Swat, Wellesley, Olin, Harvey Mudd, etc.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 15,093 Senior Member
    I would not consider Bard or Hampshire given the information in the original post. IMO they are niche schools for the NE region and as said neither is particularly strong in STEM majors. Fine schools but not for the OP for distance or major.
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 872 Member
    Did she consider RPI?
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 3,685 Senior Member
    @TQfromtheU, I was just going to suggest RPI. Great school for all tech majors, including math and sciences.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 29,327 Senior Member
    edited September 11
    Bard did upgrade their science facilities 8 or 9 years ago, but unless you love tiny schools in the middle of nowhere (or at least that's what it felt like to us), I think the OP would be better served by other schools. There's a lot to like about Bard, including the required senior thesis.
  • GalantinesDayGalantinesDay Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Based on college information sessions and our own research, Rochester Institute of Technology sounds like a very good match, as well as Vassar (she can take tech classes through nearby schools) and possibly Purdue - look at their learning communities.
  • quietdesperationquietdesperation Registered User Posts: 588 Member
    edited September 12
    here's my quirky thread from a couple of years ago, many of the same schools have already been mentioned but you might want to take a look:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1687953-quirky-school-list-p1.html
  • MusakParentMusakParent Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Hope your trip to Minnesota goes great! We live in the Saint Paul area not far from Mac. We know many happy students at all your MN options. Good luck!
12346»