Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Occupation of Humanities 110

ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,469 Senior Member
from Inside Higher Ed

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/09/11/reed-college-course-lectures-canceled-after-student-protesters-interrupt-class#
An education from Reed College, where students’ sense of individualism is perhaps matched only by their studiousness, is anything but common. And recently one of Reed’s most distinctive experiences -- one designed, ironically, to bring students together -- has become one of its most divisive. “We don’t ever want to repeat what happened that Wednesday -- we don’t ever want there to be shouting over one another and shouting people down,” said Kevin Myers, a Reed spokesperson, about escalating tensions over the college’s signature yearlong freshman humanities course. He added, “I don’t think that was a proud moment, and we want to get past it.”

Replies to: Occupation of Humanities 110

• TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 535 Member
    It's hard to understand why Reed would not immediately expel students who disrupt academic classes. This is a required class for all freshmen. The malcontents could easily have learned this in researching the school and did not have to go to Reed. They can raise concerns and protest without disrupting other students, who are in most cases paying lots of money and investing lots of time in their educations. No one is stopping them from doing this.

Reed has a nice campus in a terrific city. There are many great people at the school. Going forward, what family/student would pay to attend a school where a few extremists are allowed to run roughshod over the rules, civility, and basic human decency?
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 2,524 Senior Member
    I also wish Reed and other schools would expel or suspend student protestors that disrupt classes or harass professors. I say that as someone who considers himself moderately liberal.

On the other hand, I don't buy into the idea that these kinds of protests are rampant on colleges campuses. It's the exceptions to the norm that get reported rather than the norm. Plus, you get the far-right trying to whip people up into a frenzy about these kinds of incidents.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,182 Senior Member
    EXPEL?! Really? Seems a bit heavy handed. Surely there is something in between unbridled acceptance and expulsion.

"On the other hand, I don't buy into the idea that these kinds of protests are rampant on colleges campuses. It's the exceptions to the norm that get reported rather than the norm."

Exactly.
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 2,524 Senior Member
    EXPEL?! Really? Seems a bit heavy handed.

I guess I'd cut them some slack after the first offense. But if they kept repeating the behavior, it's "See you later."
  • prof2dadprof2dad Registered User Posts: 667 Member
    If I were teaching it, I would have the college police come, instead of leaving myself. I would also report it to the dean and have the administrator(s) to deal with those students who interrupted my class. They can protest outside of my class quietly, but they cannot interrupt my teaching and violate my other students' right to receive their education when they paid the tuition and fee.
  • MatmavenMatmaven Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    edited September 12
    Deny, deflect, minimize ... wash, rinse, repeat.
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,469 Senior Member
    Here is a video of the incident referenced in the original article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=279&v=mg3i6-J6zI8
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    edited September 13
    This kind of stuff has been going on for so long and so frequently that its surprising few mainstream news outlets has picked up on it. Here is another one from two years ago that should have gotten some attention too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC2yB2Zusyg
    It just makes a lot of parents wonder where they can send their kids nowadays for college education where there is still freedom of thought and inquiry without harassment. At Princeton, Stanford and other elite schools segregated housing is back in full force by the demand of minority students. Woodrow Wilson and Jim Crow must be smiling in their graves.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 61,504 Senior Member
    jzducol wrote:
    At Princeton, Stanford and other elite schools segregated housing is back in full force by the demand of minority students.

A few theme houses that most students of the associated ethnicities do not live in hardly makes the housing racially segregated, and a few smaller universities are hardly reflective of the whole.

Indeed, what is likely the greatest degree of student housing racial segregation has been flying under the radar in sororities and fraternities at many prominent large state universities, including some where the participation in sororities and fraternities is high enough that they seemingly dominate the social scene there.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Registered User Posts: 2,053 Senior Member
    At some point, doesn't intellectual honestly require that we all acknowledge that this is not just an ever lengthening string of unrelated, isolated incidents?
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,882 Senior Member
    I can't comprehend the vanity, entitlement and selfishness that would allow someone to disrupt others' ability to get an education. Tarring and feathering comes to mind.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,613 Senior Member
    I read the article. It doesn't seem the protesters are disrupting the class in an ongoing manner. They did once but were shut down and haven't again.

That video appears to be of the pre-9AM intro thing they did...meaning, before the class began.

Did I miss something?
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,882 Senior Member
    But in the interim, throughout last year, a group of 12 to 15 students has occupied the class -- surrounding the lecturing professor in silent protest -- for each session.[/quote

I find this very inappropriate, and do find it disruptive and ongoing.
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,469 Senior Member
    edited September 13
    I wonder if Reed would be as patient if a group of students entered a gender studies class holding up signs that said "Hey Hey, Ho Ho, Grievance Studies have go to go!" or "Everything you are learning in this class is wrong".