Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• dfbdfbdfbdfb Registered User Posts: 3,128 Senior Member
    For the vast majority of colleges, "extra curriculars, sports, clubs, honors/AP, etc." aren't remotely necessary to get in—they're minimally competitive entry and/or accept students on a (completely or effectively) purely stats-based system.

And unless you're in Wyoming (which has only one), there are multiple noncompetitive-entry in-state public four-year options available.
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,066 Senior Member
    @crazyfordlr Welcome!

If she can get her SAT into the 1000 range I honestly think she's got a solid shot at both of her top choices. Manoa is WUE I believe so would be a much better financial deal and would offset flight cost. I'd be a bit concerned with her that far away dealing with T1.

@Cotton2017

I just want to say, while I really respect all that are encouraging more and more test taking we had a couple that could only get so far with re-testing. My S17 is a terrible test taker, not anxiety related but his ADHD definitely is a factor, even on meds. We called it good with a 25, and his SAT scores at best might have hit 1200. with a 3.4 UW he was accepted at all 7 schools he applied to. I think your bigger constraint may be limiting it to 2 states and a budget amount, that's a frustrating situation and I've been there (am there with S19 too!). If she is a 3 sport athlete I would not remotely worry she's not done enough. Schools would much rather see a kid who is consistently passionate about things than one who seems to flit around checking off the "will look good on college app" boxes. That comes across pretty clearly.

Point being, she's good decent grades, an athletic hook and is likely to have scores that will get her into many places. CC is a weird places that makes normal good kids look like score failures and it's incredibly frustrating. Don't succumb to it! I have a close friends whose son went to Salisbury and was quite happy there. He was more in this threads range and was looking to stay in the area as well, I can't recall where else he applied but was looking at a similar budget range and I know my friend looked heavily at schools that were part of the new england exchange. One of the 2017 kids from this same thread/gpa range is at CNU and I believe is really happy there.
  • crazyfordlrcrazyfordlr Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @dfbdfb thanks for the reassurance! We’re in CA, with no desire for Wyoming. She has no desire to stay in-state, but that may be what happens.

@eandesmom I totally agree with you about breaking that 1000 threshold. She takes the PSAT again next week ... we figure it’s cheap practice. She has more confidence this year too. She’s been doing better on tests and has more test-taking strategies. Another wait and see kwim. Also, Hawaii isn’t as big a deal as it seems re: health. Dh’s family is from Oahu and a dear friend of mine from high school lives there. She’ll have lots of resources/support. (And I’ll have lots of spies haha!)
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 268 Junior Member
    Curious to hear how others have worked through the colleges list. At this GPA range, is it preferable to have more safeties (GPA & financial) instead of matches?

Should we be aiming for about 5 -6 safeties, 4 -5 matches, and 2 - 3 reaches at this point? We will not be able to visit all schools prior to applying, although several will be visited for interviews/portfolio reviews next October/November after applications are in.

(Maybe we need more schools on the list now due to her major?)
  • eh1234eh1234 Registered User Posts: 471 Member
    I don't understand how the portfolio review works, unfortunately. 11 to 14 schools already seems like a lot. I think 2 or 3 safeties would be plenty unless she really likes all of the safeties equally and can't choose (or unless the safeties are out of range for visiting beforehand).
    Thanks, @eh1234 -- she has not decided between BA vs BFA programs so we were thinking selecting 2 or 3 of each for safeties, matches, and reaches. Maybe she'll decide what she wants to do by the summer and we won't need to plan on so many applications. (And maybe pigs will fly.)
  • eh1234eh1234 Registered User Posts: 471 Member
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the BA/BFA options for arts majors. I guess if S19 decides he wants to pursue music as one of his majors I will have to educate myself! I feel like he'll decide what he wants halfway through junior year of college.
  • dfbdfbdfbdfb Registered User Posts: 3,128 Senior Member
    edited October 7
    If one's not targeting highly-competitive colleges, need one do the whole reach/match/safety balancing act at all? I mean, you need to have something you can definitely get into and would enjoy, sure, but if you don't care about the reaches why target any reaches?

[Edited to correct a potentially confusing typo.]
    @dfbdfb -- there are some Dream Schools she would like to apply to, and depending on how her portfolio review went, she could theoretically be accepted based on talent and with the right merit money, she could attend. But there's no way she would be accepted academically. (We call these small number of schools the Lotto Ticket colleges.)
  • DeltaMom2019DeltaMom2019 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    @Cotton2017 What about Towson?
  • stlarenasstlarenas Registered User Posts: 344 Member
    @dfbdfb I tend to agree. I think we will only apply to 2 or 3 total schools - unless somehow he ends up with really high test scores - than maybe a few more.
    @dfbdfb

I think it depends.

1 (min) financial and admissions safety that the student will be happy attending.A few matches admissions wise that may be a mix of financial safeties and financial reaches. Reach schools, to me, are only an option if they'd be affordable. On the flip side, it depends on the student but in this gpa range, applying only to 2-3 can makes me nervous as "match" is a moving target both for admissions and definitely for merit.

S17 had 7. Which may have been too many but there was only one true financial safety so we wanted to hedge our bets. I suspect S19's list will be a similar number of schools to allow for merit shopping. S17 is telling S19 to apply to fewer as he found it overwhelming once accepted to all. However, there is also something to be said for being accepted by more than one school so the student feels like they have choices.

@OrangeFish that seems like too many to me, even with the BA/BFA complication. If all are affordable then I guess that's one thing but application fatigue is real and the number of essays on top of portfolio etc...juggling that with actual senior year coursework is a hard thing to manage. Too many matches and safeties, if the student is accepted to many, can make decisions really hard and painful for all.
    Thanks, @eandesmom! I am so outside my element as I do not have experience with BFA programs, and I have been listening and trying to learn from others at my D's school who have been down this path before. It seems the rule of thumb is 6 to 7 portfolio review schools for BFA programs.

So I did the simple math of 6 to 7 BFAs and 5 to 6 BAs for a total of 11 to 13.

Should we cut back the BA programs to 3 or so? (That will be hard as the BA programs on her list are all so different.)

Thanks for your advice!
    11-13 apps is a LOT and I suspect really too early to call it. I think it's a great working list if you already have it down to 12 of serious interest between the 2 program types.

But come application time I'd really be looking at cost and how high the interest level is and try to cull it a bit. I'd also dig into the actual applications to determine how much unique work there is. If, for example, the 6 BA programs are all common app and do not have any extra supplements/essay requirements well then it's just a matter of being willing to pay the app fee. But if all have supplements you could be looking at 11-26 additional essays on top of the main common app one. Some kids can handle it, and churn out quality work. Some..not so much.

There is a cool tol, essay organizer or something like that, that can help. The common app won't open for our kids for some time so it will be pulling this years data but it will still give you a feel for the volume or work.

Have others at your school submitted that many combined or have they been purely focused on BFA?
    Thank you again for your advice! I found the college essay organizer tool -- looks quite helpful.

Most of the kids at D's school are either all in for the BFA or all in for a (not-related-to-theatre) BA, and not split down the middle. Also, hardly any are interested in the technology side (theatre tech, digital/interactive media, etc.).

All of the BFA programs on her list have portfolio requirements that are the same (at least for this year). We won't have a sense of the quality of her portfolio until National Portfolio Day next month. She has updated her portfolio based on what faculty have suggested at the various colleges, but that's not a real "review." Also, there are two schools on her list that have prescreens this year.

All of the schools on her list have passed the what's-the-cost review. We simply cannot afford going outside our budget, so anything extreme doesn't make the cut.