Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,063 Senior Member
By popular (2019 parental) demand I am starting up the 2019 version of this thread.

I started the 2017 one and found it an incredibly enriching experience and very helpful with my S17 who is now a happy freshman after experiencing a successful application season.

This is from the original post that kicked of the 2017 thread and I think it all still holds true.

As a guideline, this is not a chance thread for students. It is for parents of kids roughly in the B to B+ range with any range of test scores. Of course, all parents are welcome, but it is not meant for the top of the line, applying to Ivies sorts of dilemmas. Advice from parents of other years is definitely appreciated!

Things to talk and think about now

1. Test Prep

2. School Visits & casting WIDE nets

3. Fit & LOVING ALL OUR SCHOOLS

4. Possible Financial/Merit aid

5. Books to assist our quest of the perfect school for our children.

6. Requesting LOR's before school gets out

And as we get close to and into senior year:

1. Applications (EA vs. ED vs. RD), essay prompts, etc.

2. Auditions (music, dance, theatre)

3. Senior year visits & overnights

4. The Waiting Game of acceptances

5. Reviewing award letters

6. Committing and sending in that check!

So, pour another cup of coffee (or tea), bookmark this thread, and start posting!

I will post an intro to get us started and then updated links to resources the 2017 parents used as well as our results thread. It was a very successful season for the 2017 kids and I expect the same for our amazing 2019'ers!

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,063 Senior Member
    Related Threads

The final outcome list for the class of 2017 can be found here. They rocked it!

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/20605533/#Comment_20605533

Current 2018 thread may be found here

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1951765-parents-of-the-hs-class-of-2018-3-0-to-3-4-gpa.html#latest

"Main" 2019 thread

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/class-20xx-community/1732893-parents-of-the-hs-class-of-2019.html#latest
    There are a few others out there but they are pretty outdated at this point

• GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 597 Member
    YAY, I'm first!

OK, I'll reiterate my D19's situation here, even though it'll be old news to the folks on the regular thread.
    She's young - still 15 -- and got a couple of Cs in freshman year and too many Bs, so she's probably about 3.1 unweighted GPA right now. She's taking two AP classes this year - first ones, as school doesn't offer them before junior year. School doesn't rank.

She got an 1180 on the SAT in August and will try to do better on the ACT in October, as her practice score on that test was the equivalent of about 100 points higher, SAT-wise.

We live in PA and won't qualify for financial aid with an EFC of probably $30-35k. Well, we won't qualify for financial aid at the schools likely to admit her - put it that way. But we'll be seeking merit and probably falling back on the in-state PASSHE schools (Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education), which are schools like West Chester, Bloomsburg, Slippery Rock, Millersville, Kutztown universities. Fine mid-tier institutions, but we are hoping to aim higher.

Has expressed interest in majoring in theater tech and enviro studies, but is undecided. She is really good at English and average at math - it's a very wide gap. We are pushing her away from English-type majors, though, as that area is what both of her parents are in and we don't want her to be unhappy and struggle all her life to make a decent living :)
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    @Gatormama my daughter is a 14 year old freshman - her stats will be much higher than those of her brother who is currently a freshman at Rowan. She has to break our hearts and declare she's majoring in Creative Writing!!! LOL

I thought my son was going to end up at Millersville - we all loved it! Bloomsburg was also in the running, but the most expensive of the PASSHE for us. Kutztown was never on the radar but at the last minute a crazy discount to NJ residents got our attention. In the end, he's full pay at Rowan and thus far is doing great and loving it!
    We will be looking at Stockton, @NJWrestlingmom - we have a high-up connection there that might get us some merit. I'm not sure when we'll visit but it's definitely one of our top choices.
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    @Gatormama we have a friend who works at Stockton as well. My son was accepted there but refused to visit. Our friend told him if kids get accepted at both Stockton and Rowan they usually pick Rowan because it's higher ranked and there's more to do. That was the end of Stockton! We didn't get merit at any of our state schools (his stats were less than impressive - we were more surprised with the acceptances than the lack of merit!), but the cost was still slightly less than the PASSHE's since we were out of state for those.
    Stockton does have good science programs.
  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    I'm in. Currently S has a 3.1 uw GPA, 3.6 weighted. I am anticipating test scores of approx 1200 SAT, 25 ACT.
  • eh1234eh1234 Registered User Posts: 458 Member
    @Gatormama I grew up in PA in the dark ages and the PASSHE were where most people in my class went. I feel like some of them have made great strides since then. (A friend of mine has taught at a couple of them)).

I'll be reading both 2019 threads for now. S19 is a lazy A- ADHD kid who could easily decide that a B+ is also fine. (Currently has a 3.65 unweighted). He's taking four honors and 2 AP this year (his first), while many of his peers take 3 to 6 APs. He had a pretty strong PSAT but won't prep for the SAT, etc. My D16 was firmly in the 3.0 to 3.4 range and I don't think S19 will aim much higher than she did in terms of schools. So we're probably looking at schools with acceptance rates in the 40-80% range.

He likes math (but is not on an accelerated track with honors pre-calc this year) and music. He has no idea what he would major in, what type or size of school he would like, urban/suburban/rural, etc. We'll look at some of the in-state publics (VA), but not UVA or William & Mary. My mental list includes VA Tech (reach), George Mason (just down the road), Pitt, Delaware, NC State, maybe Temple. Kind of interested in Vermont and Charleston based on their nice "medium large" size, but they might be too far away. Open to LACs, but I feel like not too many of them would be a good fit.

Oh, and I was terribly remiss in my first post and can't edit anymore: thank you so much to @eandesmom for once again creating this thread. I have learned so much from your 2017 journey and I am selfishly thrilled that you'll be along for the 2019 cohort as well.
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 763 Member
    edited September 19
    Hello, everybody!!! I don't have a 2019 kid but I have a D20. So I will follow along for her, just like I followed along the 2017 thread for D18. Thank you @eandesmom !

I expect D20 will end up at CC which right now is fine with her. But who knows what might happen so you can keep me informed with your experiences.

I've been on a merit hunt for D18 because she had good enough stats for that, but it will be very different for D20 who has significant EF problems. :((
    @Gatormama Welcome! and awwww. thanks!

@MACmiracle Welcome! I suspect you'll find folks with EF issues here that may have some amazing insight and help.

@sdl0625 even if you hit that 3.5 you are always welcome here! As you may recall S17 ended with a 3.49....
    It's like really dude?? LOL

@me29034 Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't agree more about the whole packaging mattering. S17 did well because his whole package told a story and he targeted schools that it worked for. Maybe I should title this "yes you can get merit with a 25 ACT..."

CC can be a perfect transition for many kids and a fine option both by itself and as a gateway to a 4 year.

@OrangeFish welcome! So happy to have you here and really thrilled for your ACT results! That makes me like Ursinus for her a lot with that amazing black box! :)

@eh1234 Welcome! I can relate to the A- who might decide a B+ is good enough...or vice versa! Also happy to provide input on Vermont. We should have another 2019er showing up here who also has a 2017er at UVM.
  • dfbdfbdfbdfb Registered User Posts: 3,128 Senior Member
    So some of you on here know me from the class of 2019 (and 2017) thread, My D19 is one of the weird ones—she actually has a pretty high GPA that makes it seem like she doesn't belong on this thread, with a 3.7, but that's a 3.7 with a lot of As, a few Bs, and a couple Fs. Basically, if she's motivated about a class she does great, but if she isn't she checks out completely.

We don't have any test scores yet (probably taking the ACT February-ish), but she has a history of serious test anxiety, so we don't have high hopes. She's interested in industrial/manufacturing engineering (calculus and chemistry are among her favorite classes ever, she likes the elements of design involved, and her mom's an engineer so she knows some of what being an engineer means), so that limits her initial list of schools at the outset (most of them big Midwestern state schools, which is her preference anyway). She's got it down to ~50, and the next cull will be once she's gotten her ACT score, when we've mutually decided that she and I will go through the list together and figure out which schools she can get at least a little merit money out of.
    @dfbdfb welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

at least the list is under 50. LOL!