Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

High school suspension

Replies to: High school suspension

• HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 5,917 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    All school's have to follow those procedures when alleged harassment is involved @roycroftmom. Title IX applies to high schools as well as colleges. Unless of course they are just ignoring policy and procedure which I agree would be problematic.
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    No. Title 9 only applies to all schools which accept, directly or indirectly, public funds from the federal government or are affiliated in a system which does. Our school does not and we know nothing about the school in question.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 5,917 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    It is a charter school that is the subject of this thread. DOE says Title IX applies to charter schools. While the Dear Colleague Letter has been rescinded by DeVos and new guidelines are under consideration, Title IX as a law should still apply.

DOE letter confirming Title IX applies to charter schools:

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201405-charter.pdf
    Sex harassment should be taken seriously. But 12 charges over a 4 week period suggests either he was constantly harassing most of his female classmates or collusion was involved. Either way it should be further explained by the school.
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens Registered User Posts: 585 Member
    I guess I thought we were innocent until proven guilty in this country - even when we are kids. That doesn't mean excusing or dismissing that means getting all the facts and having due process. If the boy did lick them or 'grope' them I agree that is incredibly inappropriate, but we don't KNOW that yet. I was under the impression the parents didn't KNOW about any of it until he was suspended that there were even any accusations. Maybe I misunderstand - it is possible.
  • 3puppies3puppies Registered User Posts: 1,008 Senior Member
    So, @iaparent , did anything happen to your son's accuser, or was the dismissal of the charges after the Dean's investigation taken as a repudiation of her credibility?

I still don't think I 100% believe the OP's story.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,713 Super Moderator
    edited October 12
    @roycroftmom,

I am sorry that I did not preference my comments with I work at a public school. It has been my experience that public schools must have policies in place to deal with sexual harassment and bullying in school.

At the NYC DOE it falls under the Respect for All.

http://schools.nyc.gov/RulesPolicies/RespectforAll/default.htm
  • PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    "I guess I thought we were innocent until proven guilty in this country - even when we are kids. That doesn't mean excusing or dismissing that means getting all the facts and having due process."

The counselor said that he admitted it. That's going to be enough proof for this school to impose a minor off-the-record suspension. He's not facing charges.
  • iaparentiaparent Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    To dig a bit deeper based on 3puppies question, to date nothing has happened with the accuser but while we have a good outcome to date, things are not closed yet. I think her role in this is why he is still in a bit of limbo.

My wife wants blood from her for everything he (we) have gone through but I don't think there is a lot that can be done. She didn't necessarily allege anything that didn't happen, she just exaggerated or misconstrued the context and her role in the events so while this was very much retaliatory, she didn't outright lie.

The above being said, this same woman had already, in the first week of school, accused another student of stalking her. It was investigated and while we don't know the outcome he was able to move back into the dorm after the investigation. Rumor has it she has alleged he continued to stalk her and he is currently up for a full hearing for expulsion. My son has said that the kid is creepy and did follow her, ask her out, etc. but as he said the kid is awkward and probably did not mean anything by it. I have a feeling based on her filing 3 complaints within the initial 3-4 weeks of school they are looking into if she is part of the issue, especially in light of there being no finding against my son. My son has had all restrictions lifted so he does see her and I think they are waiting to close the file to see if she goes to the well again or if my son retaliates at all before he is completely exonerated and they move forward.
    Skepticism of both sides is wise until a proper investigation shows otherwise.
  • IfYouOnlyKnewIfYouOnlyKnew Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    @toomanyteens that's horrible. Did he face any discipline for falsely accusing you?