Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

College sends e-mail to Staff and Students "In Event of Nuclear War"

2»

Replies to: College sends e-mail to Staff and Students "In Event of Nuclear War"

• katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,113 Senior Member
    @doschicos, I forgot about Los Alamos... Wyoming is out (too much oil/gas/mining) so maybe northern Montana? No one would waste a nuke on Glacier National Park, right?
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,084 Senior Member
    "so maybe northern Montana?"

Just keep going north, @katliamom. That's becoming an increasingly attractive option. :)
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 12,254 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    Just checked distances from North Korea to Seattle- scary list of articles from Google. A more strategic target than Hawaii. Around 5000 miles- or less and 30 minutes but not great accuracy in article headlines with potential 6000 mile range. I can obsess about this or ignore it like I do earthquakes for son and other relatives and the virtual crowd from CC. I also remember the hiding under the desk bit in elementary school- so ineffective...

But- knock out Amazon and Microsoft and then where would China be? Mad at N Korea for disrupting their goods' markets? We could carry this line of thinking further and further. And we could get banished/deleted for politicization (hey- that's a real word, no red underlining) on CC if we express more.
    edited October 12
    To continue- Vancouver and Victoria CANADA would be affected if the PNW were- how to get a whole lot of countries involved, not just the US.

I was too young and too far from Florida to worry when the Cuban missile crisis occurred.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,191 Senior Member
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 29,489 Senior Member
    If it's all out nuclear war, we are toast. But one bomb? There was plenty of devastation at Hiroshima, but a remarkable number of people survived despite fairly close to the blast zone. We were in Germany for Chernobyl. My husband's first thought was "The Geiger Counters are all broken" when he saw people out in the parking lot with the things registering levels that would require a clean up in the lab. He called me and told me to close the windows. Luckily for us a large part of the radiation was radioactive iodine which has a fairly short half life. We drank ultra-pasteurized milk for the next six months and made our own yogurt from it. Some things were contaminated with Cesium (mushrooms and game) we didn't eat them for the rest of our stay in Germany. https://www.popsci.com/article/science/german-boars-are-too-radioactive-eat

I don't think there's anywhere to flee to. We'd hunker in place and hope for the best.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,616 Senior Member
    @mathmom , I was also in Germany during Chernobyl. I've wondered on occasion if we (my then-spouse and I) could have been affected.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 29,489 Senior Member
    I'll always wonder - we were there for three more years. However I think my childhood getting sunburned in Africa was probably more damaging in the long run. :/
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    edited October 14
    Imagine how the folks in South Korea and Japan must feel!

Indeed.

Also, considering the demonstrated proficiency of NK missile accuracy and quality control*, I'd also add Mainland China and Russia to the list.

* NK missiles have had an interesting tendency to fall apart/explode not too long after launch.
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 2,636 Senior Member
    the other day I caught myself wondering what the safest part of the country would be: not either coast, obviously; not Colorado where I live (we have North American Aerospace Defense Command here;) so is Nebraska up wind or downwind from me (thinking nuclear fallout)? Or would they target the Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma,Iowa because there's so much farming there, to affect our food supply?

Iowa might be safe - no big military installations there that I can think of. Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma would be hit for sure.
    Iowa has many server farms I believe- there goes the internet...
2»