Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Does my DS qualify for financial aids?

sepdragonsepdragon Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hi, my first post on CC forum!
My son got his US citizenship from me but he has not lived in US. My husband is not US citizen and we live outside of US. Now DS is exploring his uni options and are considering to study in US. As all of you know the tuition is quite scary. I am really not familiar with the different financial aids and how they work. I know some are merit based and your background makes no difference, but there are also federal based(?) financial aid I read, so really not sure whether DS is qualified and what other options are available. any advice is appreciated.

Replies to: Does my DS qualify for financial aids?

  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,555 Senior Member
    If he is a US citizen, he will qualify for federal aid (loans, grants). He can also qualify for any scholarships and grants that are limited to US citizens. It is unlikely he'd qualify for any state aid because you most likely are not a resident of any state.

    Some schools have their own aid that is limited to citizens or admissions is different for non-citizens. He'll be considered in the citizen group.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,068 Senior Member
    edited October 13
    Your son can complete a FAFSA form because he is a U.S. citizen....BUT the only guaranteed forms of aid are a $5500 federally funded loan...and any portion of the Pell Grant to which you are entitled. The maximum Pell Grant is $5900...but that would go to someone with a FAFSA family contribution of $0.

    Also, your son doesn't LIVE in the U.S. He will considered as an out of state student at all public universities...and this will be more costly. Privates are expensive too.

    Are you very low income? Remember, your husband's and your incomes will need to be put on the FAFSA (and if needed, the Profile) forms. You will be using income from 2016. It doesn't matter where that money was earned.

    Does your son have outstanding GPAand SAT or ACT scores? What are they? Would he be a competitive applicant for schools that meet full need? Will your family (with all incomes reported from mom and dad) be such that you would qualify for need based aid?

    The total federal aid of $5500 loan, and potential for $5900 Pell grant (if you are very low income...), won't pay for your college costs here.

Sign In or Register to comment.