Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Which colleges waive the application fee if you apply online?

saaaaarahsaaaaarah Posts: 57Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2013 in Parents Forum
Lynchburg College
Northern Illinois University
University of Detroit Mercy
Centre College

...Can we expand on this list or is there a list already done before? Thanks.
Post edited by saaaaarah on

Replies to: Which colleges waive the application fee if you apply online?

• STRAWBeRRYred89STRAWBeRRYred89 Posts: 472Registered User Member
    i think Drexel did.
  • scarfmadnessscarfmadness Posts: 469Registered User Member
    Simmons College in Boston (for women)
  • nikrudnikrud Posts: 227Registered User Junior Member
    Colgate.................
  • abisteabiste Posts: 270Registered User Junior Member
    Carleton waives the fee.
  • unwritten02unwritten02 Posts: 607Registered User Member
    Sewanee, Hamilton, U Scranton
  • ohh miss zannaohh miss zanna Posts: 2,866Registered User Senior Member
    Some of the Seven Sisters: (all women)
    Wellesley
    Mount Holyoke
    Smith
  • patsmompatsmom Posts: 2,918Registered User Senior Member
    This website may be somewhat out of date but it was very helpful. It has a list of colleges that offer free applications.

http://www.porcelina.net/freeapps/
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 6,835Registered User Senior Member
    Many of my son's colleges waived them if you visited or applied on line. Does it matter? One wouldn't apply to a college just because the fee was waived would they? And if someone is considering applying to a college that information would be available on the website.

My son got many free application invites via e-mail starting in the fall of senior year and continuing into the Spring. Many were from colleges that he had not visited but were similar or close to ones he had visited or applied to so we suspected that they shared lists. For instance, he visited and applied to Champlain College in Burlington, VT and was offered a free app for UVM. He applied to Roanoke College and was offered free apps at Randolph-Macon and Lynchburg. He visted RIT and got free app offers from a couple of other privates (Keuka and Alfred?) up there. Pretty smart marketing on the colleges part but I didn't like the idea that my e-mail was offered up like that. Of course son gave all the colleges MY e-mail address.
  • BandWBandW Posts: 144Registered User Junior Member
    When my older son applied to U of Rochester two years ago, they waived the fee if the application was online. My younger son is applying this year and they no longer waive the entire fee. The online apps are now $20 (vs $60).

If colleges offer free apps, they may end up with more applications and enhance their selectivity as a result. I wonder if this factors in to their equation.
  • advantagiousadvantagious Posts: 1,221Registered User Senior Member
    kathiep, while I wouldn't (didn't), some people would apply to a college based MAINLY on the fact that the fee was waived. I would think that this would be especially true for kids who were moderately interested in X college before, but weren't going to apply under normal situations--having the fee waived pushed them into the apply category. Some people might also start to consider a college that offers to waive their app fee. I think it also happens that the fee waiver often accompanies an easy, specialized/priority/whatever application, which helps to convince some kids. Personally, I just took it as a nice perk that 3 of my schools (Carleton, Wellesley, and Case Western Reserve) waived their application fee.
  • cornfedcornfed Posts: 122Registered User Junior Member
    Grinnell.If looking for woman's college then Agnes Scott.
  • altmomaltmom Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
    Union College in New York
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,519Registered User Senior Member
    Colby waives fee for online and for students from Maine.
  • ForTotoForToto Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    Kenyon in Ohio
  • mominvamominva Posts: 2,207Registered User Senior Member
    Trinity U in San Antonio