Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

"In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

Replies to: "In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

• apathetic pandaapathetic panda Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    We live 15 minutes from University of California, Santa Cruz. I love the idea of people helping each other out in an emergency. We also have a detached studio if anyone needs to visit their banana slug.
  • Ms. PeonyMs. Peony Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I am in Houston and am a retired social worker and mother of one former grad student. I am available for emergencies, help, guidance, talks, occasional coffee. To respect my time limitations, I wish to be available to an only child with little family support, or a student estranged from or without family. Thank you! Ms. Peony
  • themomherethemomhere Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I am 45 minutes from University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, University of Michigan-Flint, and the same for Oakland University Rochester, Michigan.
  • rscgradrscgrad Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    The Ohio State University, Muskingum U, Denison, Capital U, Otterbein, Kent State, University of Akron, Kenyon etc.. are all within a 70 mile drive from our home, however DH is an Attorney in C'bus (not criminal defense, though his firm does have this practice area available). I am an RN. We would be willing to answer questions, be available in a TRUE emergency, etc. plz PM.. TY!
  • svcamomsvcamom Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    I live 5 minutes from San Jose State and the same amount of time to Santa Clara University. UC Santa Cruz is about 30-45 minutes from where I live. Stanford University is about 30 minutes away.
  • newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,109 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    My services are now available in Philadelphia! I'm on-campus at La Salle.

Near: UPenn, Temple, Drexel, St. Joe's, Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia U, Arcadia
    Not too far: Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Swarthmore, Villanova, University of the Arts

I'm still willing to answer questions about any Northern NJ/NYC schools.
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 399 Member
    About 20 minutes from East Stroudsburg U. in PA. Happy to help.
  • Ege20634Ege20634 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    St. Mary's College of Maryland

We live about 15 minutes from this college.
  • Darling3Darling3 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    We live right next to George Mason University- ask me anything.
  • Fishnlines29Fishnlines29 Registered User Posts: 1,526 Senior Member
    Any mom's in Paris, France?!
  • cloudysmomcloudysmom Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    I'm about 15 mins from the College of Charleston door to door if anyone has any questions about the area or has an emergency - I'm happy to help! My close friend is the Dept Chair of French Studies there and I have several friends with kids attending, they all love it!

Also I'm a Realtor, so we have to undergo background checks, no criminal records, maintain high insurance on our cars, etc, usually a pretty safe bunch as we have to put ourselves out there in the community, if that makes any one feel any better, lol.
  • veeheeveehee Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    I'm 5 minutes from Monmouth University in West Long Branch (which is why neither of my children wants to apply to or attend the school!)
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    This is such a nice idea! I'm near UCLA, USC and Mt St Mary's
  • Fishnlines29Fishnlines29 Registered User Posts: 1,526 Senior Member
    Yes, I think so too! I'm live in NJ and drive for work often between Philadelphia and New York City.
  • chel17chel17 Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    We live in South Bay area (Silicon Valley CA), so near Stanford, Santa Clara, UCB (about an hour away). Happy to help anywhere needed.