Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

"In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

AtlmomAtlmom Registered User Posts: 806 Member
edited January 2014 in Parents Forum
IN LOCO PARENTIS (Latin.)
in the place or role of a parent.

Parents, I thought it would be nice to know a parent who lives in or around the town where your student/children are attending. Some of us live many miles away and it is hard to deal with emergencies quickly if the situation arises. Emergencies may include auto accidents, injuries, illness, arrests or other legal situations, etc. ALso for recommendations on hotels to stay in when you visit, or other local advice. Not for loans. Not for minor illnesses. Not for airport transport unless there is an emergency.

The heading should be the college near where you live and contact info in the message.

I think also since we are supposed to prepare for emergencies our country or cities may face, it would be nice to have someone in that town.
Post edited by Atlmom on

Replies to: "In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

• AtlmomAtlmom Registered User Posts: 806 Member
    I am in Atlanta so fairly close to all of these schools. Athens is 60 minutes away but I can still help somewhat as I spent 7 years in school there.

I will exchange phone numbers via private messages.
  • latetoschoollatetoschool Registered User Posts: 3,143 Senior Member
    I am in Washington about ten days out of every month, except for August - can be reached via PM. Am also in Miami...
  • hoedownhoedown Registered User Posts: 3,751 Senior Member
    I am right on campus at the University of Michigan. PM is the way to reach me.
  • hsmomstefhsmomstef Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    I live a block from Colorado College -- PM me for phone number and email.
  • texastaximomtexastaximom Registered User Posts: 1,080 Senior Member
    While I do not reside in a college town, I am within striking distance of Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Corpus Christi--about equi-distant from all, like spokes on a wheel. I can be PM'd for emergency help/suggestions.
  • curiousmothercuriousmother Registered User Posts: 669 Member
    Dallas

I live a few blocks away from SMU.

I can be PM'd in emergency situations or if someone's S/D gets stuck in the airport (D-FW or Dallas Love Field) en route to somewhere else.
  • berurahberurah - Posts: 4,560 Senior Member
    Just pm me for contact info! :) (Not that I expect any CCers out this way...*rofl*)

~berurah
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,587 Senior Member
    I'm near Wagner College, St. John's University and any colleges in Manhattan. PM me if you need something because I'm happy to help.
  • bethievtbethievt Registered User Posts: 6,759 Senior Member
    I'm near UVM, Champlain College and St. Michael's. I wish I knew someone near Grinnell.
  • jazzymomjazzymom Registered User Posts: 3,675 Senior Member
    We live close enough to USC, UCLA, Occidental, Loyola Marymount L.A. and also Chapman in Orange and UCI. Definitely willing to help in an emergency. I can be PM'd or emailed.
  • mootmommootmom Registered User Posts: 4,162 Senior Member
    I live close to Santa Clara U and San Jose State, and not far from Stanford, and slightly farther but still not out-of-range for UC Santa Cruz. PM me for contact information.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 11,616 Senior Member
    I am 1 block from Stanford University. Can be PM'd for info.
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 26,869 Super Moderator
    I work in Boston, and I live near Stonehill College. Contact info available via PM.
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Registered User Posts: 5,116 Senior Member
    Columbia U., Manhattan College, SUNY Purchase, etc.
    Contact me please via PM.

And how do you make those bold-faced headers so that I can follow instructions? ;)
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Baylor med, UT med, Rice, U of Houston, SFA, and any other Houston area University.