Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Application fee waiver letter???

TsenguunTsenguun Posts: 1,341Registered User Senior Member
edited July 2008 in Parents Forum
Hello,everyone? I was told to write one by myself, since my school counselor doesn't know English. Well, I'm not sure either how to write it. Do you think the following pattern would be enough??? What else should it include? Should it include my financial situation as well as school I'm applying to?

Dear Admissions Office,

After looking at (name of applicant)'s current circumstances, satisfying application fees would put considerable financial pressure on the applicant. On behalf of the applicant, I request a fee waiver for the application fee.

Regards,

(Name of Counselor)
Post edited by Tsenguun on

Replies to: Application fee waiver letter???

• sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,865Super Moderator Senior Member
    I answered your question when you posted it in the FA section.

In most cases, international students are not eligible for fee waivers.

At some point obtaining a fee waiver as an international student is going to be counter productive because the overwhelming majority of schools are not need blind to international students and a fee waiver essentially shouts "we have no $$."

My recommendation is that you may be in the same perdicament as many other students; it the application fees are going to be a hardship, then you may have to trim down your list.
  • 99cents99cents Posts: 1,088Registered User Member
    When DD did the college search, there was a lot of colleges that provide free application for international. You have to do your own research as to which one. There are also a lot of colleges provide free application online. You might want to search for that also.
  • adedigbaadedigba Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Hello, Please can you help me with samples of a GMAT waiver letter?
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,865Super Moderator Senior Member
  • carolyncarolyn Posts: 7,435Registered User Senior Member
    If you have received a fee waiver as an international student from the College Board to take the SAT, then you likely will be eligible for some application fee waivers at the schools which accept them. However, there is a limit of FOUR College Board fee waivers per student, so no student should expect to get by without paying something towards applications.

If you are using the Common Application, you can apply for your fee waivers at the time of payment when you are submitting your application. However, there is no guarantee that you (or any student) will receive one, and not all colleges participate in the College Board fee waiver program. You can find a list of colleges that do on the College Board website.

Some colleges, such as the University of California, determine whether a student can have their application fees waived during the application process. These schools typically will not tell you up front if you qualify, and they will not allow you to appeal once the determination has been made. Some colleges will also not give need-based fee waivers to internationals, so, as suggested above, you should contact each school to determine their policy.

Additionally, there are many schools which automatically waive application fees for ALL students for various reasons, such as applying by a certain deadline, applying online, etc. If you PM me, I will give you a link to a website that keeps track of these schools. With careful planning, you can save quite a bit this way.

Getting back to your letter, if you do write one for your counselor to sign, it will need to contain much more detailed information about your family circumstances, such as annual income (in US dollars), number of family members living in your household, exceptional expenses (such as a disabled family member), etc. Just saying you need one is unlikely to get you a fee waiver from any college. Make sure the letter is signed by your counselor and is on school letterhead. It should also include a contact number or email so the school can contact the counselor if they have questions (you may want to think about who in your school could answer questions in English). You will also probably need to follow up via email or phone to make sure your fee waiver has been received and approved. Allow plenty of extra time -- do not wait until the day before the application deadline!!!

As Sybbie points out, since most colleges are not need blind for international students, the details about your family's financial situation will alert them to the amount of need you have, but so will applying for financial aid, so if you need fee waivers, it does not hurt to ask for them.
  • huguenothuguenot Posts: 514Registered User Member
    I wanted to add that we were in a pretty serious financial bind when my ds applied to college last year, yet felt he needed to apply to a good number of colleges to compare FA packages. He used his College Board fee waivers, then wrote a polite letter explaining our financial circumstances to the other colleges. Every one granted him a fee waiver.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    Explanation is the key. Some schools actually have a process set up to ask for fee waivers. You should check each school. Some require a third party (such as a counselor) to request the waiver.
  • carolyncarolyn Posts: 7,435Registered User Senior Member
    It is unlikely that the poster's school is a member, but if your high school counselor is a member of NACAC, or its regional affiliates, you can get additional NACAC fee waivers. There is currently no limit specified on those, but they must be signed by a NACAC or regional affiliate member. Even some members don't realize that these fee waivers exist, so it can be worth calling it to their attention.

Additionally, as huguenot's son discovered, contacting admissions directly and explaining your family's financial situation can often work, although frequently admissions will then ask for confirmation from your counselor.

But anyone who honestly needs fee waivers in order to apply to college should not hesitate to ask for them. Most colleges really do want to make sure that everyone who wants to apply can afford to do so.