Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Schools known for good merit aid

Replies to: Schools known for good merit aid

• WarrenlessWarrenless Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Thank you! So very excited for him!
  • MarigrowMarigrow Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    Personal 2017 experience of more than 20 thousand merit at U.S. liberal arts type schools:
    Centre, Trinity, Wooster, Hendrix, Beloit, Denison.
    Note that high base cost of attendance(tuition, fees, room and board) at some schools can negate much or even all of the merit award . In other words, considering merit award in absence of base COA is meaningless.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 11,905 Senior Member
    all those schools[ with the exception of Duke] are PUBLIC colleges, which rely on taxpayers for FA funding.
    The UC schools eliminated financial aid to all incoming OOS students this year, so throwing an application to UCLA in the expectation of getting merit aid, as an OOS resident, was a waste of time.
    I think IF he had applied to some less selective private colleges, or to those listed on these websites-

http://nmfscholarships.yolasite.com/
    or
    http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com/

he would have gotten a lot more merit $..
    Any top student looking for a lot of merit $$ needs to cast a wide net AND be aware of which colleges award big merit $$ in an effort to enroll top students, and those that dont need to throw merit $$ at students , loke most of those you listed, to get them to enroll.
  • s16s18s21s25s16s18s21s25 Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    U of Nebraska offers good merit for less than stellar stats. 13k for 27 ACT and As. Tuition is only 24k oos state anyway, so a really good deal for a big 10 school that is located in a city.
  • Akqj10Akqj10 Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    My daughter's experience for Fall 2017
    Received 30K merit Hobart & Williams Smith Colleges
    Received 30K merit Wheaton (MA)
    Received 29K merit Saint Michael's (VT)
    Received 20K merit Mount Holyoke
    Can't remember Emerson but not much.
    U-Mass honors about $1,700
    Her stats include 1450 SAT, 8 AP, 4.25 GPA, Dancer plus usual EC's
  • ambkeeganambkeegan Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Vanderbilt has good merit aid? I know someone who had a 36 ACT and 4.0 and still had to pay alot with his scholarship
  • ambkeeganambkeegan Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    What outside scholarships did he get?
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 1,323 Senior Member
    edited September 19
    @ambkeegan - Vandy has three full tuition institutional scholarships that require additional applications. According to the website:

"Each year Vanderbilt awards merit-based scholarships to applicants who demonstrate exceptional accomplishment and intellectual promise. These students represent the top 1 percent of all freshman applicants to Vanderbilt, and with the limited number of merit scholarships available, the selection process is very competitive."

Specifically, three signature scholarship programs are: 1) The Ingram offers full tuition plus stipends and is based principally on dedication to community service; 2) The Cornelius Vanderbilt offers full tuition and a one-time summer stipend designed "under the aegis of a coordinated and cohesive scholarship;" 3) The Chancellor's offers full tuition and a summer stipend, and is designed to "recognize students with outstanding leadership, strength of character, academic achievement, and a deep-seated commitment to diversity."

These scholarships require more than just high stats -- those are a given.

My D17 received two of the three scholarships -- the Chancellor's and the Cornelius Vanderbilt. They unfortunately don't stack, so she would only get one full tuition award and stipend. She turned them both down and is attending Stanford.

Since we're listing results, here are D's merit-only scholarships:

Vanderbilt - 2 full tuition scholarships as described above
    Wash U - 2 full tuition scholarships
    USC (California) - full tuition
    U Chicago - ca. $17K per year
    Grinnell - full tuition
    Kenyon - full tuition
    Rice - $26K per year plus a $4K research stipend for 2 years
    Bryn Mawr - $30K (maybe 33K??) per year
    Scripps - $27K (maybe $26K or $28K - I don't recall exactly
    Duke - $1K (really?? but was also a semi-finalist for the Robertson
    Davidson - $25K (but was also a finalist for the Belk full ride)

Some of the UCs offered Regents and maybe one might have offered for her to compete for a Chancellors....I no longer recall.

She had great stats (1580 SAT; 35 ACT; 4.7 weighted GPA); 8 APs, solid ECs, amazing recs, and wrote killer essays. She also got into HYP and, as mentioned earlier, S.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    @cag60093 Northwestern does not give merit aid. If you received a scholarship from them, it was based on need.
  • cag60093cag60093 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @homerdog You are correct. I reviewed the award letter and it's listed as need-based, but also listed as various scholarship in the breakdown section. I assumed it was the latter, but need-based award makes sense. The other schools did not offer any need-based aid.
  • AtyrauloveAtyraulove Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    @LoveTheBard Did your child receive awards from Stanford as well? I didn't see anything listed which is why I ask. An impressive list of awards for sure! You must be very proud!!!