Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Frederick Douglass Award

Doctorx88Doctorx88 Posts: 145Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2005 in Parents Forum
Does anybody know how prestigious the Frederick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony Award in Humanities and Social Sciences is? How much does it boost one's application to selective schools such as dartmouth? How does it compare to various book awards like the dartmouth college book award, Harvard Book, Swarthmore, Williams?

For those not familiar with it, the award honors a student's achievements in the social studies and humanities classes, oustanding grades, dedication to social issues, and demonstration of comprehension of such social issues through extracurriculars and leadership. It's awarded by the University of Rochester. I received it at my NHS awards ceremony, and it waives my college app fee to Rochester and deems me eligible for a $6,000 annual scholarship.
Post edited by Doctorx88 on

Replies to: Frederick Douglass Award

• DonemomDonemom Posts: 890Registered User Member
    I have never heard of that award, but it sounds like the Rensallear (sp?) award for math and science, (if you get it and attend the school, you get a fairly good scholarship and treated extra special). I think the problem is that while the university sponsors it, the high school faculty select the top math/science student in the grade, so from the standpoint of achievement, it is no different than any other h.s. award in a particular subject area (or a book award, which is usually given to the val, sal, etc. ) And since the Ivy's are glutted with kids who are tops in their class, it is likely that their applicants will get many such awards. Elite colleges, therefore, are looking for ways that kids stand out beyond the pool of their high school class, eg. recognition on a regional, state, or national level.
  • dudedaddudedad Posts: 1,921Registered User Senior Member
    ROC must of recently renamed it it to the Douglas and Sue B...If your scores are high enough there is an additional scholarship, Rush Rees for $10,000. ROC caps the combined awards at $11,000.

Docterx88, if you are thinking medicine give ROC a look.
  • marny1marny1 Posts: 2,235Registered User Senior Member
    I think there was a name change or it is an additional award that U of R bestows. My d got the Univ. of Roch Humanities and Soc. Sci. Award 2 years ago. As you HS bestows it on only one student, it definitely validates to all that your school deems you one of the best Human/Soc. Science students in their graduating class. The $ is only good if you attend U of R. but this distinction should be listed on your "resume". U of R is a wonderful school. I agree with dudedad-- you should give it a look.
  • marny1marny1 Posts: 2,235Registered User Senior Member
    It's been 2 years since my d got it, so I'm getting a little slow to remember the details. A real big plus about the award and if it is listed on your application, is that you are "telling" other schools that you may receive an $11,000 award from the U. of Rochester. Now a school like Harvard may not care, but similar schools to Rochester may try to offset the U of R scholarship. My d applied to Carnegie Mellon and was awarded an $8,000/year scholarship. I believe that certain schools (U of R-CMU-Brandeis-Case Western) often get the same kids applying to them-- so if it is known that you are being awarded some $ from Rochester, you may receive some scholarship $ from another institution. Hey- it's better than getting a "Book". Congratulations on the Award.