Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

MontegutMontegut Posts: 5,765Registered User Senior Member
edited August 2013 in Parents Forum
Had to share this one. Mentioned to son that he might want to check out University of Minnesota for biomedical engineering because there seem to be a lot of biomed companies located in that area, and would probably be good in obtaining internships, coops.

Son replied that he would not look at Minnesota because he does not like the Vikings because they prevented the Saints from making the playoffs one year.

I was dumbfounded. Boys!

Not even going to bring up any New England school because he absolutely hates the Patriots!

This coming from my non sports loving son who refuses to even visit a school because "sports are too big there."

Again, BOYS!

At least Marquette is safe. We love the Packers!
Post edited by Montegut on

Replies to: Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

• cpeltzcpeltz Posts: 1,195Registered User Senior Member
    My son just decided to head to Marquette, so hopefully I can join the other parents/students and share MU information.

My son refused to even consider one school because the name rhymed with his name. Seriously.
  • SchmaltzSchmaltz Posts: 3,114- Senior Member
    while those reasons might seem silly, there are so many colleges in the country to pick from that there's no reason to pick one that has something about it that really rubs you the wrong way.

Furthermore, the reasons you two have given aren't really THAT much sillier that those who would pick University of X over University of Y because X is ranked 2 spots ahead of Y by US News, and that seems to happen on college confidential ALL the time.
  • JapherJapher Posts: 1,350Registered User Senior Member
    University of Wisconsin - Madison is a good engineering school too.

I ruled out any college that was too urban.
  • SVMMomSVMMom Posts: 862Registered User Member
    My daughter refused to apply to Duke because she said she can't handle southern accents!
  • momoschkimomoschki Posts: 142Registered User Junior Member
    My niece ruled out Princeton solely on the basis that she disliked the tour guide's shoes.
  • doamedoame Posts: 333Registered User Member
    My D refused to look at any college out of state. We live in CA, so we do have a great UC system & some wonderful privates. She had very impressive grades & stats, and I mentioned several wonderful options ... but she'd have none of it. I'm sure it was because deep-down, she's always wanted to go to USC. I also don't think she was quite ready to go 3000 miles away. I guess it's not a stupid reason....but a little frustrating considering what some of her other options could have been.
  • pugmadkatepugmadkate Posts: 5,807Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter refused to apply to Duke because she said she can't handle southern accents!

Lol!

Believe me, as someone who was born and raised in New Jersey but has lived in the south most of my life, the feels go both ways! I also used to asked, "why do y'all talk so fast?" To which I would reply "Get to the point already!"
  • QuasiProfoundQuasiProfound Posts: 7,623Registered User Senior Member
    momomschki's niece wins.
  • MomwaitingfornewMomwaitingfornew Posts: 5,821Super Moderator Senior Member
    May I add a category for the stupidest reason for wanting to apply?

My D liked both Haverford and Bucknell because of their MASCOTS. "Buffalo (bison) are cute in a furry kind of way!" and "You gotta love a college that has a squirrel as a mascot." (Side note: she chose a LAC that doesn't have any kind of mascot.)
  • lotsofquestslotsofquests Posts: 550Registered User Member
    Son refused to visit/consider a school that is named after a toothpaste.
  • hudsonvalley51hudsonvalley51 Posts: 2,394Registered User Senior Member
    Cedar Crest? Isn't that a women's college?
    The tour guide at U. of Miami said he decided to go there because of the gliding chairs they have at the lakeside restaurant!
  • MomwaitingfornewMomwaitingfornew Posts: 5,821Super Moderator Senior Member
    ^^ LOL. Colgate.
    Maybe Colgate?
  • pugmadkatepugmadkate Posts: 5,807Registered User Senior Member
    I believe he was speaking of Tom's of Maine University. Or perhaps Aquafresh College?