Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Memory Foam Pad for College Student?

SimpleRulesSimpleRules Posts: 534Registered User Member
edited May 2009 in Parents Forum
Has anyone had any experience with getting a memory foam pad for a college dorm? My D is starting college early (in 3 weeks) to attend a summer long language program and I'm having to work faster than I expected to get her ready to live away from home. I thought a comfortable bed might be the ticket for her to adjust to dorm life.

I wondered if any wise CC parents could give me advice on this if they have experience with it. If I do get one I wonder how transportable and sturdy they are. We are close enough to drive so everything will be going in the car.
Post edited by SimpleRules on

Replies to: Memory Foam Pad for College Student?

• #theorymom#theorymom Posts: 1,688Registered User Senior Member
    very heavy and not easy to clean but do make a huge difference in comfort IMO

Since you are moving by car it should be doable
  • Inquiringmind2Inquiringmind2 Posts: 623Registered User Member
    We have a memory foam pad for my daughters bed at home. It's the real deal, very heavy and expensive, around $150 at Costco. For college last fall I bought her a foam pad at Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things. Only $20 and much smaller and lighter. It is not that same as the $150 model but good enough. We also bought a new maddress pad that had lots of extra padding and that fits over the foam pad and mattress. So it's over all a big improvement over the basic college dorm mattress.
  • molliegymmolliegym Posts: 748Registered User Member
    You might want to consider a feather bed topper- I'm not sure how it compares in cost to a memory foam pad, but it's another, comfortable alternative. Why not bring your daughter to Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things and let her "sample" memory foam and feather bed and see which she prefers?
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 17,016Registered User Senior Member
    D1 has feather bed topper over 10 in memory foam bed at school. She has a bad back. Her school's mattress are lumpy. Best money spent.
  • ucsd_ucla_daducsd_ucla_dad Posts: 8,573Registered User Senior Member
    We've used 'normal' foam pads for the college bed. They're inexpensive and lightwaight and make a big difference in comfort. Even though they're not 'extra-long' like the dorm beds they're adequate.
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,598Registered User Senior Member
    I actually like the convoluted foam much better than the memory foam mattress pads. It seems to breathe better, which is great when you're in a dorm with no air conditioning during the hot months of the year.

Just be sure to get the right size for the bed. Many dorm beds are extra long and can be a little difficult to find the right size.

I actually used both a foam topper and mattress pad on my beds in college. The beds wound up being more comfortable than the one I grew up sleeping on (likely because my step brothers had the same mattresses while they were growing up before me).
  • PlantMomPlantMom Posts: 907Registered User Member
    D got a foam pad/egg crate for her college bed. She was very happy to have it after sitting on her mattress which was concave, like a canoe. She also had a mattress pad to go on top and good cotton sheets.
  • ingerpingerp Posts: 866Registered User Member
    Every year you'll find the "what to pack"/"what not to pack" threads. I read them extensively last year--lots of conflicting advice (one of my favorites was the "one set vs. two sets of sheets"), but there seemed to mostly be consensus on the memory foam as being beneficial on a dorm mattress. Got a pretty inexpensive one for DS#1 ($30-$40, I think) (and even twin-XL)--no comments from him but brought it back home to send with him for next year. He'll be in a dorm all four years, so if it improved the comfort of his bed even a bit, it seemed like a good investment.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,386Registered User Senior Member
    Didn't Target have these things a while back? I say, check there too.
  • icedragonicedragon Posts: 2,170Registered User Senior Member
    So its a good idea to get one then? How long do they normally last?
  • hayzehayze Posts: 249Registered User Junior Member
    My S has had his memory foam pad for 2 years now. Still in great shape.
  • ucsd_ucla_daducsd_ucla_dad Posts: 8,573Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, get a pad of some kind. The non-memory egg-crate foam should last all 4 years and more.
  • mountainsmountains Posts: 756Registered User Member
    S has a memory foam pad and he said it's the best thing ever. I bought it from overstock dot com. No problems at all transporting it.
  • SouthJerseyChessMomSouthJerseyChessMom Posts: 2,539Registered User Senior Member
    Be certain to air them out because they have strong fumes for several hours! STRONG
  • lspf72lspf72 Posts: 2,606Registered User Senior Member
    We bought a cheapy one online somewhere - probably the same quality as the Target version. It was 15 or $20. Couldn't find the XL twin size, so bought a queen (all sizes were the same price) and trimmed the side off to fit. S1 kept that extra skinny piece rolled up under his bed. It came in handy the couple times his younger brother spent the night -- narrow, but at least a little extra padding for under the sleeping bag.

*Note - while I'd recommend the memory foam, the chemical odor did bug me quite a bit. We let S1's air out for about two weeks before he left for college. I don't think I could have stood the smell right out of the package.
This discussion has been closed.