Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Where did your 3.3-3.6 GPA child get in?

pixeljigpixeljig Posts: 1,428Registered User Senior Member
edited August 2013 in Parents Forum
Calling all parents who have been through the cycle of the dreaded college application - help for those with less than perfect GPA kids.

Admission process takes months and the waiting is going to be rough, we don't even have a clean college list as yet! Hence my thought of starting this thread to give other parents in similar situation a hope and a clear trend to where other kids have gotten admissions.

If you do not mind sharing the GPA and SAT stats please state them.

I am a mom of rising senior son, hence this thread. He has 3.3 uw GPA and 2100 SAT. He is looking to major in Comp Sc (Software), a down to earth kid, would have loved the Stanford/Rice kind of environment with down to earth student body and pleasant weather. Thanks!
Post edited by pixeljig on

Replies to: Where did your 3.3-3.6 GPA child get in?

• historymomhistorymom Posts: 3,467Registered User Senior Member
    Sure! I like this idea a lot.

my 3.5 uw/3.7 weighted D with the 26 ACT composite was accepted into the following:

UC Santa Cruz
    Univeristy of Portland (OR)
    Linfield College (OR)
    Trinity University (TX) give this one a look see for sure as it seems to mee the atmosphere and climate criteria
    Cal State University Monterey Bay
    Carroll College (MT)

and is attending Saint Mary's College of California

denied at UCDavis and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
  • pixeljigpixeljig Posts: 1,428Registered User Senior Member
    Thank you Historymom,

Yes Trinity U is on our radar. We were unsure about Cal Poly Slo because it may have been too technical? Even tho son has a passion for software, he enjoys spending time with non-tech kids a lot more and looks like it may be tough to get in there anyways.

Our school counselor has suggested RPI, but I have not looked into it as yet. He would not want to go to a very very cold place.
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Posts: 9,867Registered User Senior Member
    I wouldn't exactly call RPI balmy in the winter. But hey, it's usually above zero degrees F.
  • california_lifecalifornia_life Posts: 109- Junior Member
    3.6 UW GPA
    2110 SAT

UCLA
    UCSC
    UCSB
    Cal Poly SLO
    USC
    University of Oregon
    University of Washington

Denied: UC Berkeley
  • Little MotherLittle Mother Posts: 1,884Registered User Senior Member
    S graduated in 2005, but here are his stats:

3.09 UW GPA
    1470 SAT
    National Merit Semi-Finalist

UCLA (majored in Design|Media Arts - OOS applicant)
    RPI
    Syracuse
    Drexel

Denied: UCSD, USC, Carnegie Mellon

Pls. note that he applied to design and visual arts programs (EMAC program @ RPI) so had to submit portfolios in addition to his apps.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 38,376Registered User Senior Member
    DD- 1230 CR/Math SAT, 3.8 weighted GPA (3.3 unweighted). Accepted to U of San Diego, U of South Carolina (with a McKissick Scholarship), Santa Clara University, and Salve Regina. Rejected at Davidson (no surprise there!!). Attending Santa Clara University.

DS 1370 CR/Math. 3.2 uw GPA (school didn't do the weighted GPA's correctly that year...another whole story). BUT he was a music performance major and had his audition as a criteria too.
    Accepted to Duquesne, Hartt School, Peabody Conservatory, Boston University, New England Conservatory, U of North Texas. Not admitted academically to UMDCP (not sure what THAT was all about!!). Attended Boston University.
  • minutemomminutemom Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    D graduated this year

3.55 UW (school doesn't do weighted)
    1530 CR/M
    2230 CR/M/W

Applied ED to Vassar and accepted.

I think the stats can be misleading. In my daughter's case, she has a pretty serious music commitment to a URI (under represented instrument). Not good enough to go to Conservatory but played with a very good youth orchestra through high school.

She also writes very well.
  • ag54ag54 Posts: 2,909Registered User Senior Member
    2005 son 3.39, 1540 SAT, NMF

Accepted to Univ. of Florida (attended on full ride - nmf scholarship)
    Univ. of Texas - nmf scholarship only 4000 approx
    Fordham University - 20000
    Tulane - 20000
    Santa Clara - 20000
    Loyola (New Orleans) - full ride

No rejections.

Jesuit highschool that didn't rank, but I'd guess it was around 30%.

It helped with the NMF designation.
  • Dad'o'2Dad'o'2 Posts: 585Registered User Member
    2007 son: ~3.4 uw, 9 APs, ~15th percentile in good public HS(grades weighted for ranking), 1530/2300, Engineering

Accepted: RPI ($merit), Case Western($merit), UMD(instate, no $merit)
    Waitlist: JHU (legacy)
    Rejected: MIT, Olin, CMU

Morales to the story:

(1) There are plenty of kids out there with both high SATs and high GPAs.
    (2) There are plenty of excellent schools out there below the top 25.
  • katliamomkatliamom Posts: 6,262Registered User Senior Member
    I forget the SAT, but it wasn't terribly impressive. GPA approx 3.3 with strong ECs and a semester abroad.

Northeastern Univ
    Univ of Oregon
    Univ of Wisconsin
    Univ of Colorado
  • PaperChaserPopPaperChaserPop Posts: 1,291Registered User Senior Member
    Waitlist: JHU (legacy)

Dad'o'2 - What were your son's ECs like? How did he do on the APs and SAT IIs?
  • editoreditor Posts: 357Registered User Member
    My D (2009 grad) graduated with a 3.6 weighted avg and a 25 ACT.
    She got into:

The Ohio State University, Columbus (will attend)
    Indiana University
    University of Massachusetts, Amherst
    Arizona State University
    SUNY New Paltz
    SUNY Oneonta
  • Dad'o'2Dad'o'2 Posts: 585Registered User Member
    PCP--ECs decent, other test scores very good:

FIRST Robotics, Eagle Scout; 4's and 5's and one 3; 740,760,780

Didn't really expect him to get into JHU. I'm thinking the waitlist was a double-legacy courtesy to his alumni parents. Maybe that would have helped more if he had applied ED, but it wasn't his first choice.

Not sure there are many "match" schools for kids with very high scores but merely good grades. Most schools seem like they are either high-prob based on the test scores or low-prob base on the grades. You don't see many of those points on the Naviance charts to know how they fare.

Repeating the process now with a D, scores not as high. Not aiming for JHU/CMU/MIT this go-around!

Repeat after me: "Build the list from the bottom up."
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 20,224Super Moderator Senior Member
    Wow Thumper. Your DS got into Peabody and went to BU? I have to assume finances were a big factor.
  • DeirdreToursDeirdreTours Posts: 546Registered User Member
    I think dad'o2 is right in that there are not "matches" for split performance kids (high scores/low gpa's, esp). My kid's results were ALL OVER THE PLACE-- totally unpredictable. The best aproach seems to be to apply widely, but don't get too attached to any particular school!