Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

An inspirational letter to a college bound son

michparkmichpark Posts: 22Registered User New Member
edited May 2013 in Parents Forum
I just read a web post called "Dear Austin - A Letter To My Son" by a man named David Perkins. If you'd like to read a beautiful, touching, and inspirational send off to college, you must read this letter. I wish I had had the words when my son left for school.

Moreover, I wish someone had written these words to me when I left for college. Do yourself a favor, and give it a look. It's lovely.

Dear Austin – A Letter To My Son :: David Perkins
Post edited by michpark on

Replies to: An inspirational letter to a college bound son

• owliceowlice Posts: 3,225Registered User Senior Member
    That's a beautiful letter; thank you for finding it and sharing!
  • Karen CollegesKaren Colleges Posts: 1,751Registered User Senior Member
    Lovely, brought tears to my eyes.
  • michparkmichpark Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    You're welcome. I was very touched by it as well. This man obviously had a clear sense of what he wanted to convey to his son as he was leaving for college, but it would be wonderful if there were some kind of "guide" for those of us who are less articulate, to help us gather our thoughts and feelings when trying to communicate them to our kids.
  • wis75wis75 Posts: 8,208Registered User Senior Member
    Wow- good letter. Just sent it to my college senior son and my H. Much of the contents I have already sent in bits and pieces, feels good to see the same from someone else to their son. Wish I had seen it 3 years ago...
    I know exactly what you mean. I just contacted Mr. Perkins at his web site to tell him how moved I was by his letter, and to thank him for giving voice to what all parents would like to say.

I also read some of his other writings while I was there. He's very interesting.

Michelle
  • atomomatomom Posts: 3,271Registered User Senior Member
    Touching, though he says a lot of things I wouldn't say.

All I managed to get out at that parting moment was: "Do your best."
    Of course, any letter like this would reflect to the values and beliefs of the parent and child involved, but I thought it was clear that he has a close relationship with his son, and wrote thoughtfully and beautifully to him. Not every parent would have the same things to say to their child.

Like you, there are parts that I could not have written, like the advice about sex, but I'm a mother not a father. I thought the counsel was appropriate and sound nevertheless.

And I thought the parting lines were simply the I love you and good luck part. Everything else had already been said earlier. Just my opinion.
    Thank you, wis75.

:-)
    I forgot to pass on, in this thread, that I got a reply to the email I sent to David Perkins. I shared with him how touched I was by the letter to his son, which I mentioned above, but also his essay on parenting.

Changes: A Few Things You Won’t Learn in Parenting Class :: David Perkins

He was very gracious. He thanked me, and all from this forum who have read, and sent him messages about, his articles. He seems a little surprised by the outpouring he's received, but indicated that there may be a "book in the works." But he was not specific.

He asked me to convey his appreciation to this forum for the lovely messages he has received.
  • xtraderxtrader Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    My God, I wish I had been able to write this letter, or at least something like it. It's what almost every parent wants to say, but just can't find the words. Thank you for sharing it. I'm new here, and this is one of the first threads I read. I'm so glad I did.

Maybe I'll just steal this letter, and pretend I wrote it. Think Mr. Perkins would mind?

:-)
    You might ask first. :-) I wrote him an email from his site, and he replied in just a few days. He was very nice.
    I was kidding of course. I admire Mr. Perkins writing, but I would not steal it. Just wanted to clarify that.
    I knew that, xtrader.
    michpark - may I contact you privately regarding this thread?
    xtrader - of course.