Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How Many Summer School Classes Should I Take?

pierre0913pierre0913 Posts: 7,563Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2010 in Parents Forum
I am taking summer school classes since I failed Calculus II last semester and I want to get my general education classes over with.

I'm thinking of taking:

Calculus II For Science And Engineers (4 credits)
American Literature II (3 credits)
World Regional Geography (3 Credits)

Is 10 credits too much? The classes range from 1-2 months long (June 1st to July 1st/26th). I had a 2.5 GPA freshman year (which is why I'm taking summer classes) and I don't know if that's too much to handle. I'm taking classes at my local community college which should be easier compared to classes at my college.
Post edited by pierre0913 on

Replies to: How Many Summer School Classes Should I Take?

• eddieodessaeddieodessa Posts: 1,725Registered User Senior Member
    Will you be trying to hold down a job at the same time?
  • MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    Summer classes are condensed and move very quickly. I would not take more than two at once. If a class is really only one month long, I would only take one class at a time. Taking summer classes will make next school year seem very long.
  • momofsongbirdmomofsongbird Posts: 1,236Registered User Senior Member
    What else do you have going on simultaneously? It sounds like a heavy load to me unless you intend to make school the main focus of your summer.
  • GeekMom63GeekMom63 Posts: 1,957Registered User Senior Member
    It sounds like a heavy load to me even if you DO make school the main focus of your summer! I think you should take two max. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • pierre0913pierre0913 Posts: 7,563Registered User Senior Member
    I was thinking about doing a part-time job but if I do take 2-3 classes, I will probably not work this summer and make school the focus of my summer.
  • MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    Look at the class schedule carefully. If you took any once a week classes this year, a summer class that meets three times a week for three hours a day--for example--would have three times as much work in a week as the once a week class did. You might also talk to a professor where you plan to take the classes and get an idea of workload.
  • college_querycollege_query Posts: 2,464Registered User Senior Member
    Summer classes can be very intense, depending on the schedule. At the university I work for, we have two 5 week sessions and also an 8 week session. I think 10 credits is way too much to handle.

My daughter took a summer college algebra class a couple of years ago, and after spending two hours in class each day four days a week, she had at least 3 hours of homework each night. That's five hours - if you doubled that for two classes, you'd be spending around 10 hours a day if your workload was similar.