Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Just smile and nod...smile and nod

Replies to: Just smile and nod...smile and nod

• MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,791 Senior Member
    @kmich -- we love K'zoo!
  • whitespacewhitespace Registered User Posts: 1,021 Senior Member
    Me: oh ya I'm transferring to (local state school) because the program is a much better fit
    Family: oh I thought it was because you flunked out!

It was pretty impossible to smile and nod on that one.
  • cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,267 Senior Member
    @KMich: Don't you just love good surprises? :)
    Hooray for enlightened grandpas!! =D>
  • KMichKMich Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @cameo43 Enlightened grandpas are the best! The other grandmother has gotten over the Michigan thing so hopefully we won't have any more strange conversations.
  • lauriejgslauriejgs Registered User Posts: 376 Member
    I seem to be getting a lot of comments along the lines of "If you're looking for merit money, the state university has a lot to throw around," or "Send him across the country to University of X so he can get a scholarship."

It's well-intentioned advice, I know, but curious because in offering the list of private colleges that our son is considering I have never once indicated that he's looking for merit money. Nor have I indicated that he's interested in traveling across the country, which is a big deal for a lot of kids!
  • UCMom19UCMom19 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    A friend just told me there wasn't really much difference between Vanderbilt and The University of Chicago....okay :-O
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,214 Senior Member
    Is there really, though? Sure there are differences in vibe and all but both are highly regarded schools. Seems like splitting hairs to me. What difference to you envision, @UCMom19 ?
  • UCMom19UCMom19 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    I was thinking about the vibe. I know they are both great schools, but seem different in feel. Vanderbilt seems like it has a huge Greek presence which isn't as visible at Uof C. To me, they both wouldn't appeal to the same kid--that's all.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,656 Senior Member
    Right- just as Cornell and Columbia probably would attract different types, wanting a different environment. Certainly many would be very happy at either school, but their environment is very different.
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama Registered User Posts: 852 Member
    A few choice comments about Case Western Reserve U

"Is that a school named after a brand of LIQUOR?"

"Why are you sending your son to "mistake on the lake?" From a Chicago person of course.

(for the record CWRU is named after Western Reserve of Connecticut which is what northern Ohio was called in 1824, and later combined with Case Institute of Tech)
  • artskidsartskids Registered User Posts: 750 Member
    @Coloradomama as an almost lifetime Clevelander, I would suggest that your Chicago friend visit. The area around Case Western is incredible and, of course, a jaunt downtown or to the lake would quickly change your friend's mind!
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 1,177 Senior Member
    Thank you for mentioning Cleveland! Inspired, I just went to YouTube to watch some clips from the opening of The Drew Carey Show. So fun.