Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Just smile and nod...smile and nod

Replies to: Just smile and nod...smile and nod

• GTalumGTalum Registered User Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    Thanks soze!
  • swdad1swdad1 Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    I particularly enjoy the flow of the typical conversation.
    Starts with the enthusiastic question..So where is your son going to college?

Then when we tell them he will be attending Whitman College in Walla Walla we always get a few moments of silence followed by either "never heard of it" or "oh why did he pick that one"
  • hopeful12345hopeful12345 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    The is a great thread. My brother keeps asking my why my D chose Princeton over Harvard. Thank goodness he is not saying anything to her!
  • austinmtmomaustinmtmom Registered User Posts: 2,356 Senior Member
    QM - You win!
  • anothercrazymomanothercrazymom Registered User Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    QM, we have a winner!
  • missypiemissypie Registered User Posts: 18,283 Senior Member
    Regarding boarding school, it's fairly uncommon around here. The "boarding school" admissions of which I'm aware have been (a) for disciplinary problems, or (b) for mental health problems. If you mention boarding school in my area, a polite person may smile and nod, then falsely assume that your child has "issues" that you'd rather not talk about.
  • RobDRobD Registered User Posts: 5,061 Senior Member
    Wow! QM! They said that out loud? I am amazed on a daily basis that a lot of adults apparently have no verbal filter.

Here in TN, when D says she's going to U of Alabama, she usually gets an enthusiastic Roll Tide or some playful verbal banter from other SEC school supporters. However, friends & family from the Northeast are convinced she's going to some backwoods holler and that with her scores she should have come back "home." Roll Tide indeed.
  • anothercrazymomanothercrazymom Registered User Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    missypie, about half the kids my son went to ****** Country Day with are now graduating from boarding school. It is fairly common and some of the most selective schools are within a reasonable distance from us, Where we have our vacation home it is much less common so I've answered some "interesting" questions about it down there!
  • geezermomgeezermom Registered User Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    "Oh. A state school. I can't imagine sending my little XXX to a state school. Oh, but I'm sure your little XXX will be fine." (Two years later, I still hear comments like this.)
  • green678green678 Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    When my son tells people he is going to Harvey Mudd, a common response is,"Oh, he's going to Harvard Med? How fantastic." Then we explain about Harvey Mudd and watch them stare blankly.

lol. This thread is great.