Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is a "very"strong SAT score for an 8th grader?

WatchfulEyeWatchfulEye Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2011 in Parents Forum
My 8th grade son took the June 2010 SAT for John Hopkin's Talent Search. A few weeks before the test I would stick the blue book in front of him and nudge his X-box controller from his hands. To my surprise, he would typically miss less than 2-3 on the CR and Writing section. I did not bother much with the math, but he seemed to handle the majority of the questions quite easily. He is in Geometry currently. I am anxiously awaiting his score to see how he performed under actual test conditions. He is a Gate student and his teachers recommended I have him tested. Back to my question, what range of SAT score would indicate he has the aptitude for Ivy League institutions?
Post edited by WatchfulEye on

Replies to: What is a "very"strong SAT score for an 8th grader?

• silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,496Registered User Senior Member
    Assuming that he took a few practice tests, anything 2000+ indicates a strong potential to score 2300+ when he is a junior, which would make him very competitive in that respect. (Note, though, that no specific score is required.) For comparison, I scored 2270 my freshman year with no preparation and was able to score 2400 junior year after preparing.

Exactly how much did he prepare?
  • WatchfulEyeWatchfulEye Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    He completed the first 5 practice tests in the "new" Blue Book. He told me he put asterisks on 15 of the questions as the others he is 100% sure the rest were correct? On 3 of the practice tests he missed zero on the Writing section as he has a knack for the CR and the Writing section. The last time i took math was 25 years ago, so I steered clear for the most part. 2400 what an accomplishment, are you currently in college? What school?
  • 12537291253729 Posts: 1,026Registered User Senior Member
    I got a 1550 in 7th grade (yes, out of 2400) and currently have a 2280, but I'm expecting a 2350+ from the June SAT. So I'd say anything over 1850 is amazing for a 8th grader.
  • vicariousparentvicariousparent Posts: 5,940Registered User Senior Member
    Sounds like he will have a very high SAT score when he most needs it, i.e, when he applies to college. One less thing to worry about (but only one less thing ;) )
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 7,016Registered User Senior Member
    I went from 2090 freshman year to 2320 junior year with very little studying. Just being familiar with the test is a good thing.
  • goodbetterbestgoodbetterbest Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    To Silverturtle, I read your posts before. I am very interested in learning from you as how did you do it. If OP does not mind, I have a daughter who just finished 8th grade. She got 1920 during 7th grade (Duke's TIP program). Do you have any post about your strategy?
  • Jersey13Jersey13 Posts: 4,622Registered User Senior Member
    1900+ would probably be a very strong score in middle school. I scored a 1980 in 7th with a 600 Writing score.
    Wow, great score! What math level had your daughter completed at the time of the 7th grade sitting?
    So I'd say anything over 1850 is amazing for a 8th grader.

Yes, it is not uncommon for students to improve by several hundred points between middle school and their junior years.
    2400 what an accomplishment

Thanks!
    are you currently in college?

No, I will be a high-school senior next year.
    Do you have any post about your strategy?

I am currently working on an SAT and admissions guide, which I hope to have posted on CC by the end of the month.
  • hahahahahhahahahah Posts: 1,051Registered User Member
    I scored an 1830...as a junior lol
    VicariousParent, I concur, my biggest worry is his lackadaisical attitude about school work. All he wants to do is play X-box Live Halo with his buddies. He is the type that gets 95-100% on all his exams but somehow will loose his homework or forget to turn it in. Frustrating to say the least.
    ^ I'd suggest accelerating his math courses. I had a similar attitude in middle school.
    ^ Yet look how well you turned out. :)
    As stated he is in Geometry now. How can that be accelerated? He did test into Algebra in 6th grade but I chose Pre-Algebra for him because of the lack of work habits. Looking back it was the right decision.
    Well I don't have information on your son's specific school but for my school, you had the option of testing out of math courses if you desired to take a higher class. More mentally stimulating work may help alleviate the lackadaisical attitude.